Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 6 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #18693
View in linear mode

Subject: "Car shakes while braking..." Previous topic | Next topic
whatisyousayinJul-01-03 09:35 PM
Member since Dec 24th 2001
85 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#18693, "Car shakes while braking..."

Anyone know the potential reason why my car shakes while braking. It normally happens under hard braking, but my car shakes and vibrates pretty strongly. Is there something wrong with my brakes/car or is this normal with the RS brakes?

Thanks

1997 RS
Coming soon:
ALL SHOW, NO GO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Car shakes while braking..., BoostedGS, Jul-02-03 04:19 AM, #1
RE: Car shakes while braking..., BMPDirk, Jul-02-03 07:02 AM, #2
      RE: Car shakes while braking..., ModeratorVX100, Jul-02-03 07:34 AM, #3
      RE: Car shakes while braking..., BoostedGS, Jul-02-03 07:34 AM, #4
           RE: Car shakes while braking..., Nackers, Jul-03-03 08:42 AM, #5
                RE: Car shakes while braking..., JUNJUN712, Jul-03-03 11:15 AM, #6
                RE: Car shakes while braking..., TeamDR1665, Jul-03-03 12:25 PM, #7
                     RE: Car shakes while braking..., The1Bill, Jul-04-03 12:43 PM, #8
                          RE: Car shakes while braking..., whatisyousayin, Jul-04-03 05:20 PM, #9
                RE: Car shakes while braking..., Ryan_Hes, Jul-05-03 07:13 AM, #10
                     RE: Car shakes while braking..., Nackers, Jul-07-03 10:53 AM, #11
                          RE: Car shakes while braking..., theallpowerfulme, Jul-09-03 03:14 PM, #12
                               RE: Car shakes while braking..., john98gs, Jul-09-03 04:47 PM, #13

BoostedGSJul-02-03 04:19 AM
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#18695, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 0

You have warped rotors. You can have them turned by a shop unless they are too worn down, in which case you'll have to replace them.

You are not your job.
You're not how much money you have in the bank.
You're not the car you drive.
You're not the contents of your wallet.
You're not your fu**ing post count.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BMPDirkJul-02-03 07:02 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#18700, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 1

BoostedGS is right. When that happened to me, i just bought new rotors from raceconcepts. With our 2gnt/asog discount, i got slotted/crossdrilled brembo rotors for 90 bucks

ModeratorVX100Jul-02-03 07:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#18701, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 2

Your best bet is to get aftermarket rotors. Stock ones will simply warp given time.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

BoostedGSJul-02-03 07:34 AM
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1329 posts,
#18702, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 2
Jul-02-03 07:35 AM by BoostedGS

>BoostedGS is right. When that happened to me, i just bought new rotors from raceconcepts. With our 2gnt/asog >discount, i got slotted/crossdrilled brembo rotors for 90 bucks

^^I did the same thing.

You are not your job.
You're not how much money you have in the bank.
You're not the car you drive.
You're not the contents of your wallet.
You're not your fu**ing post count.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

NackersJul-03-03 08:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1912 posts,
#18705, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah I remember a thread a while ago and someone had that problem. Someone said it is because the car is almost 4,000lbs and the rotors are too small. We also have that problem with our 95' RS, but since we got it lowered and all the suspension is stiffer, we don't feel it as much.

www.ChicagoArea240sx.Editboard.com

JUNJUN712Jul-03-03 11:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
238 posts,
#18707, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-03-03 11:16 AM by JUNJUN712

I got the same problem. I have the AEM big brake upgrade. I have it for about two years now when I have the brake pads replace a couple of weeks ago, it starts shaking after a week. Is a drilled/slotted rotor possible to turned by a shop? Anybody...

TeamDR1665Jul-03-03 12:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#18709, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 6

I don' think you can get xdrilled rotors turned.
I need some better discs myself. So much weight between me and my car and heat between friction and AZ summers that mine warp all the time everytime.

The1BillJul-04-03 12:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#18720, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 7

Heh, warped rotors... I've heard that one a few times, even been fooled into it a couple of times. Here's the lowdown from one of the best engineers in motorsports of all time... Carroll Smith. If you don't know who he was, don't post and ask, look online. There is far more data out there from him and about him then can possibly be shared in a brief post. When he spoke, then best engineers listened. Even I listen, and I am no engineer.
Check out the article...

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

whatisyousayinJul-04-03 05:20 PM
Member since Dec 24th 2001
85 posts,
#18726, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 8

Thanks for the info... going to look into getting new rotors.

1997 RS
Coming soon:
ALL SHOW, NO GO

Ryan_HesJul-05-03 07:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#18731, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 5

>>> Someone said it is because the car is almost
>>>4,000lbs and the rotors are too small.
>>

4,000lbs?! Please. More like 2,800.

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

NackersJul-07-03 10:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1912 posts,
#18780, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 10

Well what ever. I couldn't think of the *EXACT* weight. Yeah 4g is a bit over drawn, but the car looks small and is pretty heavy for its size imo.

www.ChicagoArea240sx.Editboard.com

theallpowerfulmeJul-09-03 03:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#18812, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 11

I have an rs and it weighs 3080 w/o me, and my friends gsx weighs 125lbs. more. I work at a shop where we turn rotors and I think you CAN turn crossdrilled rotors, the trick is that you might have to do it a few times, b/c you don't want to take a lot out each pass.

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

john98gsJul-09-03 04:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
498 posts,
#18815, "RE: Car shakes while braking..."
In response to Reply # 12

I have powerstops (cross-drilled). I have had to turn them. No big deal. Hell, my car was shaking so bad that when I got off the interstate doing more than 80 and stepped on the brakes the driver's mirror would shake. That's warped.

If you're going to get some rotors, you need to get pads at the same time. I recommend axxis metal master pads. When, I had my rotors turned I got some new pads just to see how much was left on the old ones. After 60k miles, there was a lot left. I was really suprised.

My stock rotors needed turning at about 35k miles. I went ahead and got some aftermarket rotors hoping this wouldn't happen again. It's been my experience when you turn your rotors, they will need turning in about 18 months. Don't know why. Hope this helps.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #18693 Previous topic | Next topic