Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17659
View in linear mode

Subject: "Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)" Previous topic | Next topic
BigBaldMay-11-03 08:08 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17659, "Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"

I tried to switch my springs yesterday. I removed all the bolts except the link to the sway bar. For some reason the nut just keeps turning and turning. I had both ends of the car jacked up so that doesn't seem to be the problem. Is there a special tool needed to loosen the nut to remove that link from the knuckle? Also if I cannot get that off, is there another way of taking the strut out w/o removing the sway bar? I was thinking that if i loosened the upper ball joint from the lower, that it may drop low enough to remove the strut from the brace. Thanks in advance........

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), eclipse_gs_1512, May-11-03 10:09 AM, #1
RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), eclipse_gs_1512, May-11-03 10:34 AM, #2
      RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), eclipse_gs_1512, May-11-03 10:36 AM, #3
           RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), zhr420, May-11-03 11:09 AM, #4
                RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), BigBald, May-11-03 03:42 PM, #5
                     RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), eclipse_gs_1512, May-11-03 04:13 PM, #6
                          RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), Diceman19, May-11-03 09:00 PM, #7
                               RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), The1Bill, May-12-03 09:05 AM, #8
                                    RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), eclipse_99rs, May-12-03 11:33 AM, #9
                                         RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), misshift, May-12-03 01:19 PM, #10
                                              RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), GTAGRIP, May-12-03 05:31 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), BigBald, May-13-03 02:58 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), GTAGRIP, May-13-03 03:48 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension), dfresh, May-13-03 09:26 PM, #14

eclipse_gs_1512May-11-03 10:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17662, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 0

I did my springs a couple of weeks ago, I remember there being a nut attached to the other side of the bolt on the sway bar link...if it stops raining, i'll go out and take a pic for ya. I def. had to use a socket wrench on one end and a regular wrench on the other end to get it loose. I hope that makes sense.

dave

2007 wrx

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse_gs_1512May-11-03 10:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#17664, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 1

ok, you can kinda see in the pic what i'm talking about....except that there were two nuts and not a bolt.

2007 wrx

eclipse_gs_1512May-11-03 10:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#17665, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 2

i just looked at it...it came out a little blurry. sorry! but i think you can see what i'm talking about, there is another nut on the other side of the one you were turning that needs to be held while you're cranking away.

2007 wrx

zhr420May-11-03 11:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
557 posts,
#17666, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 3

yeah... what he said, but just to help a bit more you will need two open ended 14mm wrenchs one for the nut you can see and one to hold the bolt that the nut spins on to. break it loose and you will be on you way.
later
"Z"

BigBaldMay-11-03 03:42 PM
2715 posts,
#17669, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah i was figuring that. Argh......what kind of wrench did you use to hold it in place. I tried grip pliers but that didn't seem to work.

eclipse_gs_1512May-11-03 04:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#17670, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 5

i used one open ended wrench and one socket wrench(i think zhr420 was right with the size, 14mm)

2007 wrx

Diceman19May-11-03 09:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#17675, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 6

when i changed my suspension, i didnt have a nut on the other side. i did notice the the front of the bolt has a hex head looking thing in it. i put an allen wrench in there and turned it with a wrench and it came right off. i hurt my hands though. those allen wrenchs are small. good luck.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
1998 Eclipse RS. Nothing great here.
Added the turbo wing and lowered it
down. More to come.

The1BillMay-12-03 09:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#17680, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 7

If you get the new style endlinks, they will be keyed for an allan wrench. You can get an allan attachment for a socket, which would make things a million times easier.
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

eclipse_99rsMay-12-03 11:33 AM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#17683, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 8

there are two styles of the link. If you have the one with the hex style be careful not to strip it because i did and it took about 4 hours to get that part off.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

misshiftMay-12-03 01:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
70 posts,
#17685, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 9

like they said 14mm open end wrench and ratchet with socket... swapped my suspension out this weekend.. u may have to torch that bolt.. i had 2 on mine after only 2.5 years....

front end took 4+ hours had to torch EVERY bolt
rear end a little over an hour

GTAGRIPMay-12-03 05:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
369 posts,
#17689, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 10

Yeah, I agree, if you have the hex bolt in the middle DO NOT STRIP IT!! Unless of course, you have a friend who can make these

But yeah, I did it too but I couldn't get mine off of there. We are just going to get a cut off wheel and chop the damn thing off and put ^^^ on. Good luck.

DSM Registry Profiles:
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1410 (Eclipse)
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1411 (Talon)

BigBaldMay-13-03 02:58 AM
2715 posts,
#17691, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 11

This does not sound too promising. I am going to have to figure a way to get it off. Maybe one of the shops can take it off for me.

Who made that for you? and how much did it cost?

GTAGRIPMay-13-03 03:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
369 posts,
#17692, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 12

A friend (actually he is about to be my brother-in-law) of mine that works for GM. He has access to ALL the tools you can imagine. He makes crap all the time. I don't know how much it cost him, but they are cool, huh???

DSM Registry Profiles:
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1410 (Eclipse)
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1411 (Talon)

dfreshMay-13-03 09:26 PM
Member since Aug 20th 2002
551 posts,
#17713, "RE: Front Suspension Removal (For those who installed their own suspension)"
In response to Reply # 13

dont know if i had the hex or not but i just stuck an allen wrench in there to hold it and used and open ended wrench to loosen the nut...worked fine for me....

dfresh

will post more pics when front is painted

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17659 Previous topic | Next topic