Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #16835
View in linear mode

Subject: "Drifting techniques in a FWD car..." Previous topic | Next topic
CopperEclipse96Apr-01-03 04:53 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16835, "Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."

I want to drift my car, but I can only seem to do it on wet roads. Can anybody give me some tips, or a website that can explain it? babybeclipse was saying something about the "Scandanavian flick" so what the hell is it? Can a FWD drift even come close to looking like a RWD drift? I don't think there is anything like seeing a RWD drift, that is pulled off perfectly, and smoothly. TIA.

---------------------------------------

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., coppereclipse95, Apr-01-03 04:55 PM, #1
RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., Twiste, Apr-02-03 04:34 AM, #2
      RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., Justin99RS, Apr-02-03 04:56 AM, #3
           RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., Jarrad_GST, Apr-02-03 05:56 AM, #4
                RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-02-03 06:02 AM, #5
                     RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., Dark Ringleader, Apr-02-03 09:11 AM, #6
                          RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., HadesOmega, Apr-02-03 11:06 AM, #7
                               RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., HadesOmega, Apr-02-03 11:15 AM, #8
                                    RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., chrysler kid, Apr-02-03 12:51 PM, #9
                                         RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., CopperEclipse96, Apr-02-03 02:48 PM, #10
                                              RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., SPL_Eclipse, Apr-02-03 04:46 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., HadesOmega, Apr-02-03 08:02 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., Teamner947, Apr-04-03 08:43 AM, #18
RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., Tantalus000, Apr-02-03 07:56 PM, #12
RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., EcLIpsInEmCEe7, Apr-02-03 09:04 PM, #14
      RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., DemonEclipse, Apr-03-03 05:28 PM, #15
           RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., SPL_Eclipse, Apr-03-03 07:34 PM, #16
                RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., Ryan_Hes, Apr-03-03 08:10 PM, #17
                RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..., HadesOmega, Apr-04-03 10:57 AM, #19

coppereclipse95Apr-01-03 04:55 PM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16836, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 0

Watch inital-D!!! except that they aren't fwd...

1995 Eclipse RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TwisteApr-02-03 04:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2644 posts,
#16837, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 1

Maybe you should be asking HadesOmega about his techniques...he seems to be really good at it. Email or PM him to find out how to pull it off.

2003 Acura RSX Type-S
15.042 @ 93.06
Devon
Creator of one of the longest and most controversial posts in 2gnt history...
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=38&topic_id=112462&mesg_id=112462&page=

Originally posted by KaptainMyke
this is the greatest topic posting i have ever seen, in my entire life on the internet.

great story
great attempt at racism
dino goes batshit
i spilt my juice
i can't see my keyboard to type

this is great.

Originally posted by nappyjim
make sure you let her know what the dillyo is. just tell her you was the peanut butter and she was the jelly and that night, God decided to make a peanut butter n jelly sandwhich. But let her know God dont eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches everyday.

Justin99RSApr-02-03 04:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1594 posts,
#16838, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 2

why is everyone so caught up in drifting...your not trying to win a freakin road race...its stupid to be doing it on a road....someone's gonna get hurt or killed by some kid trying to drift a car on a public road when someone is comming around a blind corner..

'99 RS
gone, never forgotten

'03 BMW 330i 5speed

'00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7

Jarrad_GSTApr-02-03 05:56 AM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
650 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16839, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 3
Apr-02-03 05:58 AM by Jarrad_GST

Yah, I agree. Drifting is nonsense. If you want to do it for fun, sounds kinda like stupidity but sometimes I understand you get in the mood. And sometimes you can think your eclipse is da shit and its a european or Japanese sports car but be careful. I see numerous owners of eclipses doing more than the car can handle and seeing afterward pics of Dsms wrecked.

Drifting can also damage your car more and more and makes the car run harder doin that kinda shit. Then you have to pay more money to buy tires and transmission or clutch, whichever is the case.

But to drift, I figure you pull the hand brake and once the car starts to slide you turn the wheels more and more and accelerate the car through and put the hand brake back down. I am not sure, with the stock T25 turbo(4g63) I can drift already just by turning the wheels quickly and accelerating through the turn but I can easily lose control.. so I don't do that anymore. Plus, I have a lot invested into my car now, then back in the day when my car was stock.

97' GST(4G63)
Evo 16G Eclipse

TeamMichael_97RSApr-02-03 06:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#16840, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah usually unless the turn is a sharp u-turn drifting isn't really the fastest way through a turn. And I like my tires... they cost too much to shred just to try and look cool.

I love that all pictures from Springfield are in front of Jason's house.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Cams, Hooker Header, ERT/Catco Cat, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

Dark RingleaderApr-02-03 09:11 AM
Member since Jan 23rd 2003
869 posts,
#16841, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 5

I've got flat spots on my rear tires from e-brake drifting and ebrake donuts, now my car gets nice and bumpy if I go above 65mph, not a fun thing. Don't try and do any sort of drifting unless you've got replacement tires.

FOR SALE PM Me for info:
Red '95 GS ATX with mods

New Ride:
94 Acura Integra GS-R 5-Speed
Comptech Intake
Tein S-Tech
On the way:
Integra Type R Transmission with LSD
GReddy Turbo Kit (by end of summer hopefully)

chris2wire: you've been uber'd

HadesOmegaApr-02-03 11:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#16842, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 6

seeing is believing
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292222189

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

HadesOmegaApr-02-03 11:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#16843, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 7
Apr-02-03 11:18 AM by HadesOmega

sometimes you should use the search function also it can be a valuable tool strangely I have to have it search twice for anything to show up though O_0
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=1256&mesg_id=1256&listing_type=search
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=845&mesg_id=845&listing_type=search
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=115&mesg_id=115&listing_type=search

and speaking of tires I have oh about 3 or 4 sets of wheels with tires, lets just say when I see good used tires I buy em I got the whole list of em on my car page

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

chrysler kidApr-02-03 12:51 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#16844, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 8

drifting is more fun than street racing, it gives you a rush of balance on the verge of destruction

11.65 @ 115

CopperEclipse96Apr-02-03 02:48 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
#16845, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 9

I don't plan on doing this all the time or anything. And I want to do it without the ebrake also. I'm not going to do it in traffic, or in any kind of road race. I just want to be able to do it so I can pull some sweet shit off every now and then. Plus, I think that it will all around help my driving ability. It's just an extra tool to have, in case i'm about to spin out, or if I took the wrong line in a turn or something and I need to save my ass. its like doing fire drills in school, you might not ever need it, but you still do it, and they are fun. lol, whatever that means.

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

SPL_EclipseApr-02-03 04:46 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#16846, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 10

well, the very few times that i have drifted i did it like this: went into the corner waaaaay to fast, and when i felt the backend start to give i turned the front wheels in the opposite direction of the turn until the car had drifted into a position where i could go straight to complete the turn, then i let of the gas, correct the wheels, and gun it.

i dont know if this is the appropriate method or not, but it has worked for me (ALWAYS ON A CLOSED PARKING LOT!!!) before, and allows me total control of when i want the drift to "end" (i just have to let off the throttle and turn the front wheels back to center).

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

HadesOmegaApr-02-03 08:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#16847, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 11

I drift just for fun because I like it, haha hell I just went out drifting today with my cousin and a friend in their AE86s and my 280Z, fun as hell I almost hit the curb like twice though hehe but I did a lotta manji dori I'm gettin good at that, when it rains the drifters come out to play hehe

anyway I will reveal my secret to drifting without the ebrake. You use a technique called left foot braking in conjunction with weight shifting, which the 2GNT is quite good at. I'm going to make a website about this stuff later on it's just I"m lazy anyway here it goes.

WARNING: for advanced drifters only

* go into the turn and then sudenly jerk the wheel in the opposite direction of the turn and then heel and toe to the next lower gear

* then quickly jerk the wheel in the direction of the the turn then left foot brake

*at this point the car will oversteer simply countersteer to control how sideways you wanna go and floor the throttle to keep the wheels spinning

*you can use the ebrake if you wanna keep it sideways longer as well

* then when you wanna stop drifting let go of the steering wheel and catch it when the car pitches straight

yeah it's hard to explain in words but that's how I do it, your suspension setup helps also. if ne1 in the bay area would like to learn to FF drift there will be some drift events in the bay area that my cousin and his friends are gonna start up, I can be F dori instructor for the day hehe.

Who sez FF can't drift?

Teamner947Apr-04-03 08:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#16854, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 13
Apr-04-03 08:47 AM by ner947

yeah. that's called the Sweedish Flick, or "lift off oversteer."

EDIT: i know what you mean by turning the wheel the wrong way in the turn and then turning it back. i got good at it this past winter in the snow when it was alot easier to do. in the snow, if you know how to do the sweedish flick correctly, you don't have to use the brake at all. i also got good with drifting my dad's car on his snow tires. doesn't take much throttle at all with rear drive, ESP off, in the snow to flick the tail out a little in a turn.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Tantalus000Apr-02-03 07:56 PM
Member since Jan 25th 2002
423 posts,
#16848, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 0

i would suggest doing it in an open space, and empty gravel road is the best it doesnt ruin your tires so much, i had a ton of fun going off roading in my eclipse. yes im crazy, i got some mad drifts and made a big cloud of dust wish i had my camera that day

EcLIpsInEmCEe7Apr-02-03 09:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1607 posts,
#16849, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 12

for a last resort, you could use trays..hahaah

-matt

97 Eclipse GS-T with 6-bolt engine

DemonEclipseApr-03-03 05:28 PM
Member since Jan 19th 2003
165 posts,
#16850, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 14

lol, i dont know if fire drills are fun.

performance: K&N intake, 2.5 piping w/ magnaflow, msd wires, pacesetter header, ported tb, custom short shifter
suspension: 1.5 tenzo drop, rear strut bar.
looks: stock skirts, stock 16s, leather interior
future: rear disc, star stage 1

SPL_EclipseApr-03-03 07:34 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#16851, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 15

hadesomega:

thats exactly the way i do it, although in my description i "dumbed it down" a little. its good to see that i have been doing it the "right" way, lol. no ebrake, it has purly to do with knowing how your car reacts to certain angles and speeds. i can go around a corner and say to myself "2 mph more and ill loose it", but i can always keep it under control. the next step is to learn how to angle the front wheels correctly once you loose control. then after that, its the hardest part: how to recover.

anyways, thatnks for conferming that ive been doing this correctly.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Ryan_HesApr-03-03 08:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#16852, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 16
Apr-03-03 08:11 PM by Ryan_Hes

When counter-steering, you really only need to counter-steer half as much as you think. Too much and you'll grab taraction, then totally spin out the other way.

Edit: I don't drift, I just know that. Drifting is dangerous, fucks up your tires perhaps your suspension, and could damage rims...I'm too 'showy' to drift.

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

HadesOmegaApr-04-03 10:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#16855, "RE: Drifting techniques in a FWD car..."
In response to Reply # 16
Apr-04-03 11:00 AM by HadesOmega

when counter-steering you kinda have to just know instinctively how much to counter. but on our cars I've noticed that when you get on the throttle and keep the tires spinning it'll make the front understeer so as long as your giving it throttle you won't spin. but if you countersteer too early and too much and not enough throttle the car will snap violently in the other direction so keep that in mind.

hmm that technique is called a lotta things I guess I know it by a feint motion and scandanvian flick.

if you know how to drift its not dangerous did you watch my driftshowoff vid those pros knew how to control the cars going sideways as if the car was an extension of their bodies, yeah it messes up your tires that's why you buy extras when you go drifting in a safe sanctioned event and suspension it doesn't really mess it up unless you hit something hard our suspension is pretty tough.

the best tire setup is some crappy tires with high treadwear rating in the rear and some fairly grippy tires in the front. if you have adjustable shox you can put the rear full stiff and front soft and you'll get some good weight transfer.

Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #16835 Previous topic | Next topic