Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #13564
View in linear mode

Subject: "Brake upgrade pics" Previous topic | Next topic
fasterGSNov-21-02 11:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13564, "Brake upgrade pics"

Here are some pics of my brake upgrade. I switched to GSX calipers and rotors. VERY easy upgrade to do, it took me about an hour.

One of the new calipers... much bigger than the stock ones.

The old calipers, they look tiny!!

Pretty!

Random picture of the car while working on it.

The finished product. Less space in the wheels!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Brake upgrade pics, SILVERNT, Nov-21-02 12:33 PM, #1
RE: Brake upgrade pics, fasterGS, Nov-21-02 12:53 PM, #2
      RE: Brake upgrade pics, John99RS, Nov-21-02 01:07 PM, #3
           RE: How come mine are whack?, Semperboost, Nov-21-02 04:05 PM, #4
                RE: How come mine are whack?, fasterGS, Nov-22-02 12:54 AM, #5
                     RE: How come mine are whack?, RoadRacingDSM, Nov-22-02 02:52 AM, #6
                          RE: How come mine are whack?, Semperboost, Nov-22-02 03:51 AM, #7
                               RE: How come mine are whack?, fasterGS, Nov-22-02 04:01 AM, #8
                                    RE: How come mine are whack?, Semperboost, Nov-22-02 06:29 AM, #9
                                         RE: How come mine are whack?, RoadRacingDSM, Nov-22-02 06:40 AM, #10
                                              RE: How come mine are whack?, 1TuffRS, Nov-22-02 06:49 AM, #11
                                                   RE: How come mine are whack?, fasterGS, Nov-22-02 07:23 AM, #12
                                                        RE: How come mine are whack?, RoadRacingDSM, Nov-22-02 07:52 AM, #13
                                                             RE: How come mine are whack?, Fast420A, Nov-22-02 03:17 PM, #14

SILVERNTNov-21-02 12:33 PM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13565, "RE: Brake upgrade pics"
In response to Reply # 0

nice setup, i see your car has the "blues"
later
chris

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fasterGSNov-21-02 12:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13566, "RE: Brake upgrade pics"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeppers, I think they are a very nice strut. My car handles really well even being back at stock height.

John99RSNov-21-02 01:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#13567, "RE: Brake upgrade pics"
In response to Reply # 2

Looks good Jason.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

SemperboostNov-21-02 04:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1072 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13568, "RE: How come mine are whack?"
In response to Reply # 3

My braking got worse after the install..it was softer, took more effort to stop and didn't really grip the rotors. It doesn't feel like it grabs the rotors and takes more pedal effort to make it stop - damn it sucks. I have reverted to getting some SS lines to see if it'll help

Alvin

96 RST

Star Stage I turbo kit /Starion I/C w/ 2" chrome piping / GReddy Type-S BOV / Missing Link / Custom APEXi- GReddy 2.5" exhaust / 55mm ARD TB/ Nology wires / APEXi EL mech boost gauge / Autometer A/F gauge / Southland Dual Friction clutch / B&M short shifter / Energy Suspension shifter bushings / 16" GSX Rims / Front/ Rear camberkits / Eibach Prokits / Tokico Blues/ Front Upper, Rear Lower strut bars / Rear GST sway bar/ GSX Dual Piston Calipers, X-drilled/ slotted rotors

Alvin

http://www.cardomain.com/id/96rst

fasterGSNov-22-02 12:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
#13569, "RE: How come mine are whack?"
In response to Reply # 4

That is weird... I mean I would assume you have bled the hell out of them at this point, but that is what it sounds like to me. Even on my first drive they felt equal to stock brakes so they can only get better from here. You might take the car to a brake place that does free inspections and see if they see anything abnormal. Maybe they can give you some insight.

RoadRacingDSMNov-22-02 02:52 AM
Member since Aug 14th 2002
127 posts,
#13570, "RE: How come mine are whack?"
In response to Reply # 5

It sounds like you have air in your lines. Bleed the brakes again.

2005 Evo 8

SemperboostNov-22-02 03:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1072 posts,
#13571, "RE: How come mine are whack?"
In response to Reply # 6

I know huhu. I've bled the system 4x already and they still feel the same. Could it be bad calipers
Alvin

96 RST

Star Stage I turbo kit /Starion I/C w/ 2" chrome piping / GReddy Type-S BOV / Missing Link / Custom APEXi- GReddy 2.5" exhaust / 55mm ARD TB/ Nology wires / APEXi EL mech boost gauge / Autometer A/F gauge / Southland Dual Friction clutch / B&M short shifter / Energy Suspension shifter bushings / 16" GSX Rims / Front/ Rear camberkits / Eibach Prokits / Tokico Blues/ Front Upper, Rear Lower strut bars / Rear GST sway bar/ GSX Dual Piston Calipers, X-drilled/ slotted rotors

Alvin

fasterGSNov-22-02 04:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
#13572, "RE: How come mine are whack?"
In response to Reply # 7

Did you get used calipers or did you get some refurbished ones? If they are used you might need to rebuild them, maybe they aren't sealing correctly or just not working properly. Something is obviously not right.

SemperboostNov-22-02 06:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1072 posts,
#13573, "RE: How come mine are whack?"
In response to Reply # 8

I got em off someone (98 GSX) and they were pretty rusted...how much is a rebuild kit? Is there a test to see if it is the calipers? Is it hard to rebuild em?
Alvin

96 RST

Alvin

RoadRacingDSMNov-22-02 06:40 AM
127 posts,
#13574, "RE: How come mine are whack?"
In response to Reply # 9

A rebuild mainly consist of replacing a rubber o-ring(s) and getting a new piston(s). Honestly though when it comes to brakes, and other items that ensure your safety I like to get brand new parts. I believe you can go to any parts store and give them your old GSX calipers as a core and you might can get some nice new ones. Otherwise they will be rebuild ones that have been cleaned up. Also check your local Mitsu or Chrysler dealers and see how much brand new ones are going for. Just some ideas.

2005 Evo 8

1TuffRSNov-22-02 06:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#13575, "RE: How come mine are whack?"
In response to Reply # 10

Well even with the Baer Brakes it brakes like stock until you really start to push the pedal. Once I really get on them though it will stop like no tomorrow. When I first put them on though it braked softer than the stockers, but as they got broken in it got better and better.

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

fasterGSNov-22-02 07:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
#13576, "RE: How come mine are whack?"
In response to Reply # 11

Well also if the pistons are not sealing correctly then they will not push out and consequently not push on the brake pads. But then again, I would assume there would be some brake fluid leaking. I had to replace the used ones I bought too, I got my new ones at cskauto.com. (checker auto parts) Anything from the parts store is going to be refurbished but there is nothing wrong with that IMO. The deal I got was two calipers, loaded ( that includes the caliper, mounting bracket, and brake pads) for 60 bucks apiece, plus a 50 dollar each core charge. They come all assembled and ready to bolt on. This might not be a bad option if you are trully having problems. The rebuild kits run about 20 bucks and only replaces the rubber parts on the piston, not the piston itself. By the time you bougth two kits for each caliper thats 40 bucks each caliper, you might as well get new calipers. Sorry for the length, just trying to help.

RoadRacingDSMNov-22-02 07:52 AM
127 posts,
#13577, "RE: How come mine are whack?"
In response to Reply # 12

I agree with Jason ^^^^. Also Toney wait until you get some good pads. Then you will really get to feel those big 'ol brakes.

2005 Evo 8

Fast420ANov-22-02 03:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#13578, "RE: How come mine are whack?"
In response to Reply # 13

The rebuild kit is $40 each, not $20 and that DOESN'T come with new pistons. Just trade them in for rebuilt ones instead of rebuilding.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - unknown
Project: Baby on the way

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #13564 Previous topic | Next topic