Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1021
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coli overs w/ stock struts?" Previous topic | Next topic
Ryan_HesMar-11-01 03:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1021, "Coli overs w/ stock struts?"

LAST EDITED ON 11-Mar-01 AT 08:49 AM (PST)

I am getting a awesome deal on some Skunk-2 coil overs. Brand new for 100$. I have seen some posts saying that I need to get new struts, but I really don't have the cash for struts now.

Would I be okay on my stock struts with a 2" drop?

Even if I do use my stock stuts, what's the worst that could happen, a bumpy ride? Nothing serious right?

Ryan
Ryeguy2002@Hotmail.com
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS

http://www.monkeygods.com/Ryan
(Fast connection suggested)

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?, cyan, Mar-11-01 04:44 AM, #1
RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?, Teamicjeclipse, Mar-11-01 07:17 AM, #2
knock the perches off the perches..., Skrilla, Mar-11-01 08:07 AM, #3
      RE: knock the perches off the perches..., Ryan_RS, Mar-11-01 08:20 AM, #4
           My struts failed in 3 months..., Skrilla, Mar-12-01 10:05 AM, #9
RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?, Teameclipse804, Mar-11-01 02:32 PM, #5
RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?, Ryan_RS, Mar-11-01 04:39 PM, #6
      RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?, cyan, Mar-12-01 02:40 AM, #7
      RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?, EvMan2345, Mar-12-01 04:05 AM, #8
      RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?, TeamStan2gnt, Mar-13-01 03:38 AM, #10
           RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?, 2GXTASY, Mar-15-01 12:02 PM, #11
                RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?, Ryan_RS, Mar-17-01 10:42 AM, #12

cyanMar-11-01 04:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1022, "RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?"
In response to Reply # 0

based on my personal experience you should be alright for a while, maybe even for the expected life of the strut. i was lowered on progress springs 1.75 for two and a half years with old struts and now have been lowered 3.5" for a month or so. the worst that could happen...the strut blows and the cars weight drops on the spring. if your car is low enough the body of the car might hit the ground, but youd have to have a really soft spring and a really low kit for that to happen. you can do the coils now and struts in a couple of months if you want. are you under warranty? if so do the coilovers yourself so that if your struts go you can put the stock ones back on and get new struts from satan (if they are covered)
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamicjeclipseMar-11-01 07:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#1023, "RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have skunk's and i like them better on stock struts. I have tokcios in the rear right now and the perch makes it ride at stock hight and it is very noisy. I am going to put the stocks back on the rear soon. Just knock off the perch on the stock shocks.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

SkrillaMar-11-01 08:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#1024, "knock the perches off the perches..."
In response to Reply # 2

...will do the SAME thing

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Ryan_HesMar-11-01 08:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#1025, "RE: knock the perches off the perches..."
In response to Reply # 3

Is it very common for a strut to go out? Oh shit, this is starting to scare me. I really wanna lower my car with these coil overs I'm getting, and I can not afford struts yet. Please god let my stock struts be strong

What should I do?

Ryan
Ryeguy2002@Hotmail.com

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

SkrillaMar-12-01 10:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#1026, "My struts failed in 3 months..."
In response to Reply # 4

and I drive pretty aggresive, so if you can save 350-500bucks in2 months you could get THE best strut you want:)

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Teameclipse804Mar-11-01 02:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#1027, "RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow how can you get them for only 100 bucks? Can you hook it up? Or is it someone selling just one set that they need to get rid of? Thanks

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Ryan_HesMar-11-01 04:39 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#1028, "RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?"
In response to Reply # 5

A guy in St.Louie must get rid of them asap, he is leaving town or something, I dunno exactly. So that's why the price is so good.

Would you take the chance of driving on stock struts with a 2" drop? It isnt that common that a strut gives out....or is it? help!

Ryan
Ryeguy2002@Hotmail.com

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

cyanMar-12-01 02:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#1029, "RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?"
In response to Reply # 6

yes you can go ahead and do it, it rarely happens with such a small amount of lowering. if you went lower than 4-5" you could be worried but not 2"
youll be fine
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

EvMan2345Mar-12-01 04:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
#1030, "RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?"
In response to Reply # 7

how would the ride quality be with the stock struts and that drop?

Evan B
02 Explorer
97 GS- sold
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

TeamStan2gntMar-13-01 03:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#1031, "RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?"
In response to Reply # 6

Struts rarely blow out and when they do you wont even be able to notice by looking. My friend from Baltimore blew a rear strut while here in VA (an Avenger with same suspension). Coming back from going out he took an onramp and barely had control. Other than a bad ride and atroshous handling he drove it back to Baltimore and then had it fixed. The spring supports most of the weight of the car so you dont have to worry about it dropping to the ground. I was in the back seat and didn't even notice anything was wrong (drinking). His blew and he had stock springs. I had stock struts and lowering springs for about 4yrs before getting struts.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS but T soon!
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

2GXTASYMar-15-01 12:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#1032, "RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?"
In response to Reply # 10

Sweet! I just got my coilovers in like 2 days ago but I wasn't going to put them on for about 2 months, when I had the cash for shocks. But screw it! I'm gonna give it a shot. I hate to see those things just sitting there in my apartment. Ryan, I'll give it a shot if you will....hehehe

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

Ryan_HesMar-17-01 10:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#1033, "RE: Coli overs w/ stock struts?"
In response to Reply # 11

I'm gonna go ahead and put em on with my stock struts. Eventually I'll get new struts, but for a while, I should be fine. Thanks for the info guys.

Ryan
Ryeguy2002@Hotmail.com

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1021 Previous topic | Next topic