Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31103
View in linear mode

Subject: "Stock rim key problem." Previous topic | Next topic
99blackclipseFeb-18-08 12:56 PM
Member since Dec 17th 2006
128 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31103, "Stock rim key problem."

Don't know where exactly to put this sorry.

Anyway, I've gotten two flats in the past week. First the front right then the left rear. I went to my local tire shop and got the first tire put on (front right) but i cant get the key off the left rear!! The key lock just wont stay on. I tryed hammering it on but that didnt work..i also used a impact hammer (i think its called?) and that didnt work either.

I dont know what to do. I think i need a new key, but i dont want to go to the stealership where they might charge me alot just for the key.

Anyone got an ideas what i can do to get this thing off.

eX-Drivers

"Eclipse tuners are a strange sort. They don't like talking about wings or color-matching side skirts and interiors. Eclipse tuners are performance-obsessed sleeper fanatics who dream only about downpipes, exhuast gases, and wastegates. Their cars aren't pretty, but have the ability to spank you silly on the highway. In other words, Eclipse tuners write checks their cars can cash. Mention the word "chrome" and they might drop a boot to your skull" -SuperStreet

My Wiki page- http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=99Blackclipse

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Stock rim key problem., red96rs, Feb-18-08 01:30 PM, #1
RE: Stock rim key problem., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-19-08 06:54 AM, #2
      RE: Stock rim key problem., RoninEclipse2G, Mar-03-08 10:23 AM, #3
           RE: Stock rim key problem., juggalo, Mar-05-08 08:40 PM, #4
                RE: Stock rim key problem., goalie40, Mar-08-08 08:04 AM, #5
                     RE: Stock rim key problem., 99blackclipse, Mar-08-08 09:29 AM, #6

red96rsFeb-18-08 01:30 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2007
132 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31104, "RE: Stock rim key problem."
In response to Reply # 0

ok, this might work, it might not. depends on how strong your lugs are. take a socket thats just BARLEY to small to go over it. hammer that bitch on. (heat up the socket first possibly to help it go on easier?)then boom, off it comes with the impact gun.

** Current status: 9 bent valves. and it only had 6,000 miles on it. i hope the replacement goes well. **

Lots of expensive parts, and still slow! Oh wait, it has to run to go fast.

My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=red96rs>

from 2g chat
* DarkOne joins 2GNT_Chat
‹DarkOne› .
‹DarkOne› wow... i'm drunk
‹DarkOne› at 9am.
‹DarkOne› on a saturday.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-19-08 06:54 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#31105, "RE: Stock rim key problem."
In response to Reply # 1

Buy a lug lock remover. Its a socket that looks like a tornado spiral inside it. You tap it on with a hammer and it bites the round lock harder as you try to loosen it. Typical price is 30.00 for the socket.

Terry

RoninEclipse2GMar-03-08 10:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31135, "RE: Stock rim key problem."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Buy a lug lock remover. Its a socket that looks like a tornado spiral inside it. You tap it on with a hammer and it bites the round lock harder as you try to loosen it. Typical price is 30.00 for the socket. Terry

also known as an external "easy out" sears sells them in sizes up to 25mm IIRC

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

juggaloMar-05-08 08:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#31143, "RE: Stock rim key problem."
In response to Reply # 3

for the stock locks, use a 12point 19mm socket. try to just hammer it on enough to grip good, if you hammer it all the way on your never gonna get it outta the socket

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

goalie40Mar-08-08 08:04 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#31146, "RE: Stock rim key problem."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by juggalo
for the stock locks, use a 12point 19mm socket. try to just hammer it on enough to grip good, if you hammer it all the way on your never gonna get it outta the socket

QFT
I lost 3 sockets getting the wheels off my GST when I picked it up.

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

99blackclipseMar-08-08 09:29 AM
Member since Dec 17th 2006
128 posts,
#31147, "RE: Stock rim key problem."
In response to Reply # 5

I ended up torching the damn thing to get it off.

Thanks for all the replys!!

eX-Drivers

"Eclipse tuners are a strange sort. They don't like talking about wings or color-matching side skirts and interiors. Eclipse tuners are performance-obsessed sleeper fanatics who dream only about downpipes, exhuast gases, and wastegates. Their cars aren't pretty, but have the ability to spank you silly on the highway. In other words, Eclipse tuners write checks their cars can cash. Mention the word "chrome" and they might drop a boot to your skull" -SuperStreet

My Wiki page- http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=99Blackclipse

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31103 Previous topic | Next topic