Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30916
View in linear mode

Subject: "what the hell!" Previous topic | Next topic
barza21Dec-05-07 12:22 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30916, "what the hell!"

whats up dudes! i am scared from what i just read, i was reading some articles on the history of braking and the issues with the disks, etc.

now, my car has been acting weird lately; i upgraded to gsx calipers and crossed drilled rotors from SP performance, at the begining everything was prety, but lately, when i start braking, i get like a grinding sound and feel! is this "disk warping" ????!! and i have read that if this happens i have to buy everything all over again! is this true?

thanks for the help

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: what the hell!, Fallen4ng31, Dec-05-07 03:35 AM, #1
RE: what the hell!, Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-05-07 04:41 AM, #2
      RE: what the hell!, barza21, Dec-05-07 10:53 AM, #3
           RE: what the hell!, foggy45, Dec-06-07 06:20 AM, #4
                RE: what the hell!, mcgyvr, Dec-06-07 06:26 AM, #5
                     RE: what the hell!, foggy45, Dec-06-07 08:48 AM, #6
                          RE: what the hell!, barza21, Dec-06-07 11:24 AM, #7
                               RE: what the hell!, foggy45, Dec-06-07 01:39 PM, #8
                                    RE: what the hell!, barza21, Dec-07-07 12:30 AM, #9
RE: what the hell!, dalesmitsu, Dec-25-07 06:48 PM, #10
RE: what the hell!, barza21, Dec-28-07 11:44 AM, #11
      RE: what the hell!, dalesmitsu, Dec-28-07 10:10 PM, #12
           RE: what the hell!, barza21, Dec-30-07 02:21 AM, #13
                RE: what the hell!, dalesmitsu, Dec-30-07 05:19 AM, #14
                     RE: what the hell!, eclipserst3, Dec-30-07 10:04 AM, #15
                          RE: what the hell!, Slo2g, Jan-02-08 04:34 AM, #16

Fallen4ng31Dec-05-07 03:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30917, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 0

Pull the calipers and check for a stuck piston; from what I gather this can be a common occourrence.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-05-07 04:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#30918, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Fallen4ng31
Pull the calipers and check for a stuck piston; from what I gather this can be a common occourrence.

X2 with those symptoms.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

barza21Dec-05-07 10:53 AM
313 posts,
#30919, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 2

but how do i check for that? doenst stuck piston happen when your not pressing on the brakes and it is still grinding? mine only happens when i hit on the brakes, but i will check for it anyways, but how do i check for it?

thanks

foggy45Dec-06-07 06:20 AM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#30924, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 3

when you upgraded to the GSX calipers, did you rebuild them or just pop em on?
if you didnt rebuild them then id say it's a stuck piston secondary to somthing in the brake fluid.

take em off, pop out the pistons and polish cylinder walls and the pistons them selves.
they should be mirrored when your done, just dont take off any material from the wall or the actual piston or your tolerences will be screwed up. coat them in fresh brake fluid and test them. they should move freely with NO binding, if they do polish more.

i also took mine off and put them in a lathe and turned the ends where the pistone meets the pad plate so they were gaurenteed level and made sure the pad pressure was even.

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

mcgyvrDec-06-07 06:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#30925, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 4

you sure its not just the sounds of the cross drilled rotors? They sound alot different that regular rotors when stopping.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

foggy45Dec-06-07 08:48 AM
1032 posts,
#30926, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 5

if you can feel it throught the pedal then its not the cross drilling. (or you bought knock off rotors )

DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

barza21Dec-06-07 11:24 AM
313 posts,
#30927, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 6

thanks for the response, i bought the gsx calipers from Checkers, and they said they were rebuilt already, but if i have to do it again i will do it, and yes, i can feel it on the pedal when i break.

this is going to be a really stupid question, but im asking because i am not sure, how exactly do you polish something?? i know there is a write up on how to rebuild the calipers, but i have never polished anything!

foggy45Dec-06-07 01:39 PM
1032 posts,
#30928, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 7
Dec-06-07 01:45 PM by foggy45

on these its easy with a lathe, there you can just let it spin while you put light pressure on it with either a piece of crank polishing strap or fine emory cloth
on the cylinders you need to use a dremal with a polishing bit

remember its just polishing not grinding or porting so if the cylinder / piston walls are mared or deeply groved your can be fooked. however if you polish them up you can sometimes make the lip smooth enough that it dosent bind.

oh and rebuilding is EASY! for one caliper there is 10 pieces total and there all big and cant be lost unless you go ape shit and throw the tray of parts across the room but out side of that you cant mess it up.

hardest part is removing the pistons at the same time. if you just take it off the knucke and pump the brakes one will come out first then you have to figure out how to grab the other one without gouging it.
i stuck a 1x1x1 piece of wood and stuck it in the there and then pumped the brakes then disconected the line and was able to pull them the rest of the way out.

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

barza21Dec-07-07 12:30 AM
313 posts,
#30929, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 8

thanks, i have some old calipers hanging around, i will try and practice on those and then go with the ones on my car! thanks dude!

dalesmitsuDec-25-07 06:48 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#30966, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by barza21
whats up dudes! i am scared from what i just read, i was reading some articles on the history of braking and the issues with the disks, etc. now, my car has been acting weird lately; i upgraded to gsx calipers and crossed drilled rotors from SP performance, at the begining everything was prety, but lately, when i start braking, i get like a grinding sound and feel! is this "disk warping" ????!! and i have read that if this happens i have to buy everything all over again! is this true? thanks for the help

Thats inner Wheel bearings my 1997 GS is doing the same thing on my 16" stockers and in fact when I bought my car i replaced the rotors/ pads and it still did same thing. You might wanna take your car to a brake shop. After winter I'm replacing my hubs inner bearings plus Rotors/pads. I was told about the metal on metal sound is the hub/bearings. Correct me if I'm wrong sure someone would.

barza21Dec-28-07 11:44 AM
313 posts,
#30968, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 10

yessss, i think thats it, because before i replaced them it used to do the same thing, so i have to replace the whole hub thing? those are expensive...

i will still rebuild the calipers just in case and make sure they re working properly!

thanks dude!

dalesmitsuDec-28-07 10:10 PM
986 posts,
#30973, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 11

yessss, i think thats it, because before i replaced them it used to do the same thing, so i have to replace the whole hub thing? those are expensive... i will still rebuild the calipers just in case and make sure they re working properly! thanks dude!

I've compared prices for the hubs for our cars and Advance is the cheapest. They all sell same part but Different prices, No prob

barza21Dec-30-07 02:21 AM
313 posts,
#30977, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 12

question...

is the hub assembly from a 3g eclipse fit out 2g eclipse's (specifically 99)? because somebody i know is parting out a 3g eclipse and i can get parts off of it for free, so are the parts compatible?

dalesmitsuDec-30-07 05:19 AM
986 posts,
#30978, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 13

question... is the hub assembly from a 3g eclipse fit out 2g eclipse's (specifically 99)? because somebody i know is parting out a 3g eclipse and i can get parts off of it for free, so are the parts compatible?

Not sure you might wanna do a new thread for this question maybe

eclipserst3Dec-30-07 10:04 AM
Member since Jan 26th 2006
204 posts,
#30979, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 14

well, there is only one way to find out. if they differ, they should be nothing alike. stare at yours for 5 minutes then go look at the 3g. i recently replaced a wheele hub, it started making noise when i swaped rotors so natrally, i thought the rotors caused the noise. it only sqeeled when i hit the brakes. like $105.

got that megasquirt!

Slo2gJan-02-08 04:34 AM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#30980, "RE: what the hell!"
In response to Reply # 15
Jan-02-08 04:35 AM by Slo2g

Well my rear brakes are squeeling when I hit the brakes too and I just put GSX vented rear disc on the back and put one new hub assy on it. I was thinking it was may be the old pads. The GSX rear hub is held together by the axle and nut. I have part of the axle on with the nut on the other end and there is no play in it but it still only squeeks when I apply the brakes.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30916 Previous topic | Next topic