Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26298
View in linear mode

Subject: "squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone" Previous topic | Next topic
turbo8uFeb-01-05 01:32 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26298, "squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"

when i turn the wheel to the right about 40% it starts SQUEELING....now its only when im moving really slow but not when im driving it around turns at speed or anything. my cv boot on my right axle was leaking awhile back so i dont know if this may have anything to do with it. i thought it might be my wheel rubbing on the suspension somewhere but thats not it, its not a squeaking belt either because it doesnt do it when im stopped turning the wheel

insight would help

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-01-05 01:39 PM, #1
RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, turbo8u, Feb-01-05 01:49 PM, #2
      RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, bullox, Feb-01-05 03:01 PM, #3
           RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, turbo8u, Feb-01-05 03:44 PM, #4
                RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, bullox, Feb-01-05 04:12 PM, #5
                     RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, turbo8u, Feb-02-05 07:14 AM, #6
                          RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, mcgyvr, Feb-02-05 08:16 AM, #7
                               RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, turbo8u, Feb-02-05 08:45 AM, #8
                               RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, WIDECLIPSE, Feb-02-05 09:16 AM, #9
                                    RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, Pitchblack98, Feb-02-05 09:21 AM, #10
                                         RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, ez, Feb-02-05 09:28 AM, #11
                                         RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, Pitchblack98, Feb-02-05 09:58 AM, #12
                                         RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, turbo8u, Feb-02-05 10:50 AM, #13
                                              RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, Pitchblack98, Feb-02-05 11:33 AM, #14
                                              RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, bullox, Feb-14-05 05:50 AM, #15
                                                   RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, Ryan_Hes, Feb-15-05 10:10 AM, #16
                                                        RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone, turbo8u, Feb-15-05 10:22 AM, #17

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-01-05 01:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26299, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 0

Could be a balljoint.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

turbo8uFeb-01-05 01:49 PM
10552 posts,
#26300, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 1
Feb-01-05 01:58 PM by turbo8u

hmmm yea thanks dino, im going to replace my axles anyway and i'll make sure and grease them up when i pull apart the suspension

edit: which ball joint in particular?

bulloxFeb-01-05 03:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6702 posts,
#26301, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 2
Feb-01-05 03:02 PM by bullox

the one that was recalled. Did you get that done? They might give you shit if you take it in with all the mods you have. I bet you wouldn't even think about letting anyone else touch it anyway

here's the info:

Component: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM:LOWER:BALL JOINT
Manufacturer: MITSUBISHI MANUFACTURING
Mfg. Campaign #: 99V066001
Year: 1996
Make: MITSUBISHI
Model: ECLIPSE
Manufactured From: JAN 1994 To: JUN 1996
Year of Recall: '99
Type of Report: Vehicle
Summary:

Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. If the rubber boots on the lower lateral arm ball joints of the front suspension were damaged during assembly, dirt and water can intrude.

This condition could cause the lower lateral arm ball joint to separate, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.

Dealers will inspect the rubber boots, and if the boot is damaged, they will replace the lower lateral arm ball joint on the affected vehicles. Owner notification is expected to begin during May-June 1999. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Mitsubishi at 1-800-222-0037. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

turbo8uFeb-01-05 03:44 PM
10552 posts,
#26302, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 3

thanks for the info chris. i dont know if that recall was done on my car but i'll find out.

is a symptom of this ball joint going out it squealing like this? it only does it when i turn right 40% whist moving, not at ALL when turning left at any %

bulloxFeb-01-05 04:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6702 posts,
#26303, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by turbo8u
is a symptom of this ball joint going out it squealing like this? it only does it when i turn right 40% whist moving, not at ALL when turning left at any %

I had the same exact symptoms when I took my talon in for the recall. After getting it done, the squeal was gone.

turbo8uFeb-02-05 07:14 AM
10552 posts,
#26311, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 5

ok i just called chrysler and they said yes, the recall was definately performed in 01

mcgyvrFeb-02-05 08:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#26313, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 6

ok i just called chrysler and they said yes, the recall was definately performed in 01

doesnt matter, they could have just greased/sealed the joints, according to many people they recall stays open for ever and all you have to do is call chrysler/mitsu customer service and let them schedule an appointment at your dealer and it will be repaired/replaced again for free

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

turbo8uFeb-02-05 08:45 AM
10552 posts,
#26314, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by mcgyvr
Originally posted by turbo8u ok i just called chrysler and they said yes, the recall was definately performed in 01
doesnt matter, they could have just greased/sealed the joints, according to many people they recall stays open for ever and all you have to do is call chrysler/mitsu customer service and let them schedule an appointment at your dealer and it will be repaired/replaced again for free

ummm...

ok i called them again and they said they wont do it again...so where did you get that information from?

i think my suspension just needs some lube

WIDECLIPSEFeb-02-05 09:16 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2004
1528 posts,
#26315, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by mcgyvr
Originally posted by turbo8u ok i just called chrysler and they said yes, the recall was definately performed in 01

No, they won't because they changed the part to fix the problem. They're not putting on the exact same part so it will mess up again. If the new ones are messed up, then it is something other than a defect in the part, which they won't replace for free.

-Roman

Pitchblack98Feb-02-05 09:21 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#26316, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 9

Call this number. 1-888-648-7820. Its the mitsu recall service number. My ball joints were doing the same thing. They did the relube and seal on them in 01. The dealership told me they wouldnt replace them because the recall was done. I called that number and the manager I talked to called the dealership and told them to do it. I took it back and it only took them an hour to replace them and I was on my way. New ball joint/control arms and no charge.

They can tell if they were replaced before it if they were just lubed and sealed. If they did replace them then the recall is closed. The new ball joint doesnt have the same problem as the first ones put on the car at assembly. So get the details on what exactly they did when they did the recall on your car.

...and dont say I never help... lol jk

ezFeb-02-05 09:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#26317, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 10

can u get satan to throw in an alignment too after they put on the ball joints, b/c it messes with your alignment right?

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Pitchblack98Feb-02-05 09:58 AM
1691 posts,
#26318, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 11

No they wont do an alignment. I tried to talk them into it but they said it wouldnt mess it up. I took my car in for an alignment after they did it cause I have a lifetime warrenty on my alignment. It was only a little off from when they did it 8 months ago. So I dont think it messes with the alignment enough to hurt anything.

turbo8uFeb-02-05 10:50 AM
10552 posts,
#26319, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Pitchblack98
They can tell if they were replaced before it if they were just lubed and sealed.

i had to call chrysler since my car is an eagle talon, and they said they dont have any information as to whether the ball joints were lubed and sealed or if they were replaced. i tried to get all the information i could but they didnt have anything.

the guy told me to go to a chrysler dealership and have them look at it and if it IS the balljoints, then they will replace then but if its not i am responsible to pay for the diagnosis.

i also tried to get the information as to where the recall was done, and he said they normally have that information except for some strange reason he didnt on my car.

i think im just going to raise hell at chrysler and demand they replace them, since they dont know what was actually done on my car...they cant assure me that the balljoints wont fail because they dont even know if they are the original ones that it was assembled with or if they were just sealed and lubed like you said.

thanks for the help, i'll keep you posted

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Pitchblack98Feb-02-05 11:33 AM
1691 posts,
#26321, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 13

They have to replace them then since they cant tell you where it was done or what exactly was done to them.

They will check them for movement and if they are out of spec then they will replace them. Mine were about 1.7mm out of spec. He took a big hammer and hit the ball joint after he took them off they car and the ball joint came out of the control arm. He told me I was luck they didnt come apart while I was driving.

If I remember correctly 8mm is out of spec. 7mm is pushing it.

bulloxFeb-14-05 05:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6702 posts,
#26393, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 13

thanks for the help, i'll keep you posted

so what'd you end up doing turbolatr?

Ryan_HesFeb-15-05 10:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#26399, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 15

Im having a similar problem. When I take right turns...and I am somewhat aggressive..Id say if Im turning 60% or greater Ill hear this squeaking....

It sounds like: "Squeak...squeak....squak..." as if it is squeaking as the wheels is spinning.

I went to mitsu and had the recall done, and still I have the same problem...

Any other input?

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

turbo8uFeb-15-05 10:22 AM
10552 posts,
#26400, "RE: squeaking when turning right, throw me a bone"
In response to Reply # 16

wasnt the balljoints but its not making the sound anymore..

ryan, i bet your rims are to wide for your drop...and its rubbing on the arm over the wheel when you turn. invest in some wheel spacers or lift it up a little. wheel spacers really gave my car a lot of lateral grip during extremely hard cornering

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26298 Previous topic | Next topic