Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1151
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's" Previous topic | Next topic
2GXTASYMar-19-01 05:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1151, "Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's"

I acidentally posted this in the Performance forum. What do you guys think I should use for a 1.5" drop. I know the AGX's are longer than stock which makes me think I might be wasting my money by going with these considering the drop I am looking at. But I can get the AGX's for cheaper than the Tokicos. I dunno....opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's, TeamStan2gnt, Mar-19-01 08:07 AM, #1
RE: Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's, 2GXTASY, Mar-19-01 11:15 AM, #2
      RE: Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's, TeamDeanoD, Mar-19-01 11:39 AM, #3
      RE: Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's, TeamStan2gnt, Mar-19-01 11:56 AM, #4
      DeanoD and Stan2gnt, 2GXTASY, Mar-19-01 03:05 PM, #5
           RE: DeanoD and Stan2gnt, Irfan, Mar-19-01 06:24 PM, #6
                RE: DeanoD and Stan2gnt, 2GXTASY, Mar-20-01 01:17 AM, #7
      I wouldn't go with the AGX on a 2 inch drop, ModeratorVX100, Mar-20-01 02:23 AM, #8
           RE: I wouldn't go with the AGX on a 2 inch drop, 2GXTASY, Mar-20-01 06:10 AM, #9
RE: Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's, Basikstylz, Mar-20-01 08:50 AM, #10
How much did you cut off your bump stops?, TeamDeanoD, Mar-20-01 11:40 AM, #11
RE: How much did you cut off your bump stops?, Basikstylz, Mar-20-01 02:33 PM, #12
RE: Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's, 2GXTASY, Mar-21-01 01:30 AM, #13

TeamStan2gntMar-19-01 08:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1152, "RE: Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's"
In response to Reply # 0

Well I haven't had tokicos but AGX are already pretty inexpensive and I dont see non adjustables as a comparible option. Maybe if I never had adjustables I'd be fine with them but now I'm so happy I could take a drive, come back home and make it even stiffer if I want to. From reading over at DSMtalk people with tokicos have the same complaints about the front strut ride quality (a few AGX people were inquiring about switching to Tokico front struts because of the bit ruff ride and tokico owners said dont bother they were contemplating switching to AGX). I haven't heard anyone complain about konis ride quality but they aren't as adjustable and there are no adjustment markes (the adjustment screw goes around like its infinitely adjustable, its not there's only 3 significant settings). Plus there more expensive (of course they are the only ones rebuildable, revalvable and have a good reputation).

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS but T soon!
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

2GXTASYMar-19-01 11:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#1153, "RE: Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah but what about the longer than stock problem with the AGX. Will it be a problem with a 1.5" drop? I may want to go all out this summer with a 2" or lower drop. Will the AGX's be able to withstand that kind of drop?

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

TeamDeanoDMar-19-01 11:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1154, "RE: Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's"
In response to Reply # 2

I have tokico nonadjustable struts with tokico lowering springs. The ride quality is stiffer than stock and damping is great. If I had to do it over again, I would get the adjustable struts so I could make the rear stiffer for Solo II. This is my only complaint.

My friend has tokico nonadjustable with eibach sportlines. These look extremely cool with the almost 2 inch drop. The ride quality is smoother than mine. Daily driving is also good. AutoX events are a nightmare. These springs are too soft for the track and body roll in the slolam is terrible. It was easy to compare the GS-T with my RS. The only difference in the suspension is the springs.

Our 1G customers at the shop use AGX adjustables for performance and GR2 for stock replacements. The 2G customers tend to use tokico illumina or blues depending on budget and needs.
Good luck in your choice.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
http://ar.dsm.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

TeamStan2gntMar-19-01 11:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#1155, "RE: Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's"
In response to Reply # 2

I dont know how much of an issue the length of the struts really is. I have 1.3" drop and its not like I'm bottoming out with AGXs. Soaks up bumps better than stock struts. I guess someone with AGX and coilovers or real low could help you better.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS but T soon!
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

2GXTASYMar-19-01 03:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#1156, "DeanoD and Stan2gnt"
In response to Reply # 4

DeanoD:

The buget is my main problem. I have the AGX's available to me for $248.84 through JCW. I currently have TSW VX1 18x8 on the way and I want to get rid of that gap with Ground Control coilovers. I think I'm going to go with the KYB's and see how they perform. I guess I can always upgrade this summer....even though I would hate to have to.

Stan2gnt:

I probably won't go any lower than 1.5" with the coilovers but I would just like to have the option to if I so choose. If you have a 1.3" drop then I don't suspect the ride quality will be much different from the 1.5" drop I intend to go with. Think I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help!

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

IrfanMar-19-01 06:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
#1157, "RE: DeanoD and Stan2gnt"
In response to Reply # 5

tokico illuminas- get them. about 430 shipped through shox.com, maybe they will lower the price a little.

2GNT Member #76, since Fall 1999

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX-8
Drove: 1999 Saab 9-5 SE
1999 Eclipse GS Hahn Stage 1

2GXTASYMar-20-01 01:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#1158, "RE: DeanoD and Stan2gnt"
In response to Reply # 6

I think I am going to give the AGX's a run for a while. If I am not getting the ride quality I need I may upgrade to Illuminas for the rear in the future. Besides I am only using them for daily driving. I do not plan to auto X anytime in the future. I think they will work for me. It will have to be one hell of a ride for me to decide I am switching them out for something else.

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

ModeratorVX100Mar-20-01 02:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#1159, "I wouldn't go with the AGX on a 2 inch drop"
In response to Reply # 2

I've got them on my stock springs. They are EXCELLENT shocks but if you're too low you'll bottom out.

I can't be sure since I know some friends with the GABs (about the same length as the AGX) but they seem to have a problem in the front with a 2 inch drop

AGAIN, this is my best guess, I can't be sure, but I think the most you probably want to go is 1 inch on the AGX, 1 1/2 might work, it might not, but I think 2 inches will give you problems, unless someone else has experience and can say otherwise

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

2GXTASYMar-20-01 06:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#1160, "RE: I wouldn't go with the AGX on a 2 inch drop"
In response to Reply # 8

Yeah thats pretty much what I had figured on. I'm not really sure how much gap I will have left once my 18's are on but I figure it can't be more than 2"-2.5" So an 1"-1.5" drop should give me the look I want along with the performance I hope to gain.

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

BasikstylzMar-20-01 08:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
129 posts,
#1161, "RE: Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's"
In response to Reply # 0

Wussup? I just posted almost the same thing I am about to write under a diff topic cause you said you were interested in kyb's. I have a set of kyb agx's and ground control. and the car handles great. it really loves the coners. but.....everybump I hit the car bottoms out. I don't know what the road conditions are where you live but I live in the bay area and the roads here a crap. anyways I would suggest gettting tockico adjustables they are shorter than stock so that helps increase your travel. if you go to the groupbuycenter.com they usually have tockico adjustables on a buy for a pretty decent price. I have seen them for less than I payed for my KYB's and I got them on a group buy through the dsm shop. or if you really wanna splurge you could go for the koni's they are supposed to be the best. and they are the same length as stock. I had my car dropped about 2.5 and even on completely flat road it would still be rough. I am at about 1.5-2 right now and I still bottom out all the time. I plan on buying some tockico adj. as soon as I can blow out my kyb's.

Jeff
96Tsi

TeamDeanoDMar-20-01 11:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1162, "How much did you cut off your bump stops?"
In response to Reply # 10

You need to cut them in half to keep from bottoming.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
http://ar.dsm.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

BasikstylzMar-20-01 02:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
129 posts,
#1163, "RE: How much did you cut off your bump stops?"
In response to Reply # 11

I had a shop do it but I know they cut them at least 1/2, I remeber him showing what he had choped off.

Jeff
96Tsi

2GXTASYMar-21-01 01:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#1164, "RE: Tokico NA's Vs. KYB AGX's"
In response to Reply # 10

LAST EDITED ON 21-Mar-01 AT 06:33 AM (PST)

Thats interesting Basikstylz. I just saw the group buy post for the Tokico Illuminas for $380 shipped. Since I haven't bought anything think I'll check into it. Thanks for the suggestions and personal experience insight. I appreciate it. It just sucks that KYB's are longer than stock. I'm going to check out this groupbuy deal before I decide to do anything. Thanks again!

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1151 Previous topic | Next topic