Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #776
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSMay-13-05 07:39 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#776, "Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"

Looking at the Ignitor pins facing you:

- - x - - -
1 2 3 4 5

Factory 4g63 Ignitor harness wire colors:

1= Yellow/black- Goes to 420A coil trigger wire- black/blue(1+4)
2= Yellow/red - Goes to X11 output on MS DB37(LED 17 Spark output)
3= Black - Goes to GROUND(a good, clean ground)
4= Yellow - Goes to X12 output on MS DB37(LED 19 Spark output)
5= Yellow/green- Goes to 420A coil trigger wire- brown(2+4)

*Be sure to disconnect the stock ECU from the coilpack. Cut and insulate the ECU side of the coilpack trigger wires. I used male/female connectors on the wires, so it would be easy to re-connect the stock coilpack trigger wires.

You can find the 5 pin mitsu ignitor on ANY 4g63 DOHC distributorless non turbo motor. I *believe* the turbo models use the 7 pin ignitor module, which will work also. I grabbed 2- 5 pin modules from a 1st gen Galant 4g63 DOHC non turbo, and cut the harnesses off.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark, TeamDR1665, May-13-05 05:29 AM, #1
RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark, whodatt1, May-13-05 07:26 AM, #2
      RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, May-14-05 10:56 PM, #3
           RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark, Teametx, Jun-08-05 05:21 AM, #4
                RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark, Teametx, Jun-08-05 01:13 PM, #5
                     RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark, selmerguy2003, Mar-31-06 05:03 PM, #6
                          RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark, MFGRacing90GSX, Apr-11-06 06:44 PM, #7
                               RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark, Sour Kraut, Nov-08-07 10:32 AM, #8
                                    RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark, Moderatorbullettdsm, Nov-09-07 10:24 AM, #9
                                         RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark, Boosted_Talon98, May-29-09 08:16 PM, #10
                                              RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark, VelocitaPaola, May-29-09 09:24 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark, unknsldr, Jul-28-10 01:53 PM, #12

TeamDR1665May-13-05 05:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#777, "RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"
In response to Reply # 0

Thank you.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

whodatt1May-13-05 07:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2531 posts,
#778, "RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"
In response to Reply # 1

cool.. great info.

-97 GS (First project, 299 whp)(sold)
- 97 RS 2.6 last numbers: 306hp, 352tq @16psi (Dead, parted out)
- 99 GS OZ, Hahn Kit, 56k miles (Sold)
--------
- 00 Nissan Maxima GLE (Daily Driver)
- 02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-14-05 10:56 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#784, "RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"
In response to Reply # 2

I dont know what happened to this thread but i need it for the 7 pin

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=5734

It says the thread doesnt exist???

Terry

TeametxJun-08-05 05:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#949, "RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
I dont know what happened to this thread but i need it for the 7 pin http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=5734 It says the thread doesnt exist??? Terry

It's easy. The markings on the 5-pin and 7-pin are similar. The ones you need are IO1 OC1 G IO2 OC2 for the 5 pin. The 7 pin has an output for a tach signal and something else I cannot remember off the top of my head. Disregard those. IO is in from the MS and OC is out to the coil pack.

Everyone make sure you power your +12vdc feed to the coil pack (center pin on the three pin connector) from something like the fuel pump relay on the relay board. If you don't have the relay board wire up a relay so that the ignition get's power when the fuel pump is on. This will prevent current from getting the the coilpack when the motor is not running. I had my feed coming from the ASD relay and the ecu was turning it off under boost causing about a month of headache!

TeametxJun-08-05 01:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#957, "RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by etx
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon I dont know what happened to this thread but i need it for the 7 pin http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=5734 It says the thread doesnt exist??? Terry
It's easy. The markings on the 5-pin and 7-pin are similar. The ones you need are IO1 OC1 G IO2 OC2 for the 5 pin. The 7 pin has an output for a tach signal and something else I cannot remember off the top of my head. Disregard those. IO is in from the MS and OC is out to the coil pack. Everyone make sure you power your +12vdc feed to the coil pack (center pin on the three pin connector) from something like the fuel pump relay on the relay board. If you don't have the relay board wire up a relay so that the ignition get's power when the fuel pump is on. This will prevent current from getting the the coilpack when the motor is not running. I had my feed coming from the ASD relay and the ecu was turning it off under boost causing about a month of headache!

I messed up. It's IB1 OC1 G IB2 OC2 , but you get the idea. IB = input, G = ground and OC = output. 1 is channel one and 2 is channel two. Super simple.

selmerguy2003Mar-31-06 05:03 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2005
288 posts,
#1934, "RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"
In response to Reply # 5

I just got my ignitor today and want to clean this up a little. It is the year of the car that is the difference between the 5 and 7 pin. Both the turbo and the nonturbo have 7 pins in the later modle 1g's.

MFGRacing90GSXApr-11-06 06:44 PM
Member since Oct 14th 2005
86 posts,
#1976, "RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"
In response to Reply # 6
Apr-11-06 06:47 PM by MFGRacing90GSX

On the 1G ignitor issue, You can find the 5 pin on 1990 Eclipse,Talon, Laser, 1991+ you can find the 7 pin. Turbo/NON Turbo Does not matter
This is because the 1991+ has a tach adapter built in the the ECU. The 1990 has a external tach interface on the back of the CoilPack.

Matt
MFG Racing

http://dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1310

Sour KrautNov-08-07 10:32 AM
Member since Oct 30th 2007
2 posts,
#3483, "RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"
In response to Reply # 7

When using the 4g6X ignitor, what do you set your dwell for in the megatune?

ModeratorbullettdsmNov-09-07 10:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#3484, "RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"
In response to Reply # 8
Nov-09-07 10:26 AM by bullettdsm

Well, this is going to be specific to your set-up but I am using a running dwell of 3.0 (cranking dwell of 10.0). This is with the 5 pin. Just be aware of any heat generated problems within the box (that's why I put that disclaimer on there. I don't want to be responsible

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Boosted_Talon98May-29-09 08:16 PM
Member since Mar 05th 2009
85 posts,
#4517, "RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"
In response to Reply # 9
May-29-09 08:16 PM by Boosted_Talon98

do you need the 4g63 ignitor if you are running the symtech labs ems kit?

VelocitaPaolaMay-29-09 09:24 PM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#4518, "RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Boosted_Talon98
do you need the 4g63 ignitor if you are running the symtech labs ems kit?

No, you do not. Most Megasquirt ECU's come with internal ignitors these days.

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

unknsldrJul-28-10 01:53 PM
Member since Oct 04th 2006
25 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4959, "RE: Mitsu 5 pin Ignitor wiring to run MS with spark"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
Originally posted by Boosted_Talon98 do you need the 4g63 ignitor if you are running the symtech labs ems kit?
No, you do not. Most Megasquirt ECU's come with internal ignitors these days.

with most of the older versions you do though.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #776 Previous topic | Next topic