Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5842
View in linear mode

Subject: "MS3 wiring tach and fan outputs" Previous topic | Next topic
FabsJan-17-14 02:51 AM
Member since Jun 24th 2011
30 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5842, "MS3 wiring tach and fan outputs"

Hi guys...

I bought a MS3 2 years ago from someone here, now I'm installing it but I'm having bad time trying to figure out where can I take the Fan Output and the Tach output...

I will really appreciate any kind of help...

Here some pics of it...

If my grammar or something is wrong I'm sorry not my native lenguage x)...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Tired2Jan-23-14 10:28 AM
Member since Sep 23rd 2012
124 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5844, "RE: MS3 wiring tach and fan outputs"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey.

Check out this table:

http://msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Hardware.htm#ms2options

It can be a bit confusing, but if you stare at it long enough it will start to make sense.

Find out which ones you have used, and mark them off the list. You'll also need to check the DB25 connector, and see if you have any extra pins.

I have the problem of having a few available pins on the MS2, (via the mods listed in the table), but I am out of pins on the DB25 (or very close to it). I plan to pop a DB9 on the case to break out those last few.

I see you have a stepper IAC soldered in (based on a quick look at your pics), which kinda sucks because it takes up 4 of those DB25 pins.

So, back to the table, any pin that says "programmable output" can be used as a fan control (but you may need to add a transistor to power the relay!)

Any that say "tacho" output can be used for tach control.

Does that help?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

FabsJan-23-14 08:30 PM
Member since Jun 24th 2011
30 posts,
#5846, "RE: MS3 wiring tach and fan outputs"
In response to Reply # 1

Man, I really appreciate your help...

I've been reading MS3 forums and just read that a FIDLE output can help me controlling the fan relay, but I'm not quiet sure about that...

Taking a look to the table, I found a lot of "tacho" output names, but I have no idea how to know which of them are the cables on my main harness, I mean MS21 cable for example...

I'm really #### on this, so I will appreciate any info!

Thanks!

Tired2Jan-27-14 10:08 AM
Member since Sep 23rd 2012
124 posts,
#5847, "RE: MS3 wiring tach and fan outputs"
In response to Reply # 2
Jan-27-14 10:09 AM by Tired2

So, avoid MS3 stuff if you have an MS2, it might just get you on the wrong path.

You should find out who made your MS2, but if you got it used, you may not be able to. It is probably something similar to the ones Symtechlabs makes, but either way, they have a good diagram here:

http:// www. symtechlabs.com/support/docs/MS_Wiring_Guide_420A.png

The pins that should interest you are the idle one (FIDLE) in yellow, and the "SPR" ones.

Others may be of use as well. You can track your jumper leads down to where they are attached to the board. Each will have the name of the MS pin that it goes to by where it is soldered in. If you use that on your harness, skip it and find another. If you don't use it, then see if it is available as a tacho output pin on the table.

FIDLE can drive a relay of a certain size (kinda small). The ohm load needs to be about 50 ohms, from memory, but go find that in the MS hardware manual (I don't have time to find it right now). If you try to run a relay that is too large, you'll over current the transistor that is in there by default.

For the tach, you'll need to build a small tacho output circuit. you can find these online for your application. (420a?)

You can run them out one of your unused SPR outputs, if any are available.

If it helps, I have some videos on youtube that go over the build process of a MS2 board.

That starts with EP 2 here:

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5842 Previous topic | Next topic