Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5674
View in linear mode

Subject: "Knock Sense" Previous topic | Next topic
Tired2Mar-06-13 08:12 AM
Member since Sep 23rd 2012
124 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5674, "Knock Sense"

Hi,

Is anyone using knock sense on the 420a w/ megasquirt? I have been putting this off on my install, but I'll need it eventually.

Is that sensor on the front of the engine that looks like a little 1" tall "can" a knock sensor? It has 1 wire out the top. If so, is it usable on the knock sense analog input on MS2?

Would a hardware solution like the MS knock sense kit be better?

Thanks,

-Evan

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SilvrEclipsMar-06-13 10:54 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5675, "RE: Knock Sense"
In response to Reply # 0

That little silver can thing is not the knock sensor, The knock sensor is on the back of the engine. You can not hook that straight to MS, the knock sensor is a piezoelectric sensor, as knock occurs the crystal deforms and puts out a voltage. You need something to read this voltage and interpret whether its knock or just mechanical noise.

OEM knock sensors only look for knock at certain points in the combustion cycle, usually right before a cylinder fires, everything else is ignored. If you are running MS3 you can use the knock module they have, other than that the only real options are knocksense and J&S safegaurd.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Tired2Mar-06-13 12:56 PM
124 posts,
#5676, "RE: Knock Sense"
In response to Reply # 1

Any idea what that little can is?

I have forged pistons, how concerned should I be about knock with a s16g turbo on say 20 lbs of boost w/o knock sense? My intuition is that any knock at that point is probably bad.

Does anyone know what safe timing and AFR numbers are for those levels of boost? Any things I can research?

I can run 93 octane, but I am considering using table switch/boost control to have a ~91 octane setup to save some money during low performance commutes.

SilvrEclipsMar-06-13 07:42 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#5677, "RE: Knock Sense"
In response to Reply # 2

Its something for radio noise. You can remove it. For AFR run it the mid 11s is pretty safe, no one can really tell you what timing to run. I always start pretty conservative and ramp up from there until it either starts to knock a bit or I feel comfortable where its at. I would recommend tuning ignition timing to much without some way to monitor knock. I currently use some rigged up Det cans (google those) and they work very well. Ill probably be upgrading to knocksense pretty soon tho

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Tired2Mar-11-13 01:22 PM
124 posts,
#5681, "RE: Knock Sense"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

I'll keep it low boost for now until I get knock sensing of some sort worked out.

Gruff511Apr-04-13 09:04 AM
Member since Aug 06th 2011
203 posts,
#5691, "RE: Knock Sense"
In response to Reply # 4

i have a knocksense ms module im trying to get rid of. its setup for our motors with a 87.5mm bore. PM me if interested. ones like these http://www.viatrack.ca/

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5674 Previous topic | Next topic