Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5650
View in linear mode

Subject: "MS2 vs MS3" Previous topic | Next topic
VendorRed90SevFeb-03-13 02:00 PM
Member since Aug 28th 2010
261 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5650, "MS2 vs MS3"

So I've been tuning with my Portfueler now for a while and it's just very basic to me now and I'm ready to take the step into getting MS. My question is, my buddy has MS2 on his car and is very familiar with it, if I got a MS3 from Symtech, would he have any difficulties helping me with it? Also, the tune from Symtech is our stock tune correct? Stock fuel and stock timing tables? I'm leaning to MS3 just because the price isn't all that much more for it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: MS2 vs MS3, SymTech Labs, Feb-03-13 02:06 PM, #1
RE: MS2 vs MS3, Gruff511, Feb-07-13 09:21 AM, #2
      RE: MS2 vs MS3, Smash_NDash, Feb-08-13 02:00 AM, #3
           RE: MS2 vs MS3, SilvrEclips, Feb-08-13 07:07 AM, #4
                RE: MS2 vs MS3, VendorRed90Sev, Feb-09-13 03:54 PM, #5
                     RE: MS2 vs MS3, SymTech Labs, Feb-09-13 04:32 PM, #6
                          RE: MS2 vs MS3, VendorRed90Sev, Feb-09-13 05:57 PM, #7
                               RE: MS2 vs MS3, SymTech Labs, Feb-10-13 06:59 AM, #8
                                    RE: MS2 vs MS3, VendorRed90Sev, Feb-10-13 05:19 PM, #9
                                         RE: MS2 vs MS3, SymTech Labs, Feb-10-13 05:37 PM, #10
                                              RE: MS2 vs MS3, Tired2, Feb-25-13 10:24 PM, #11
                                                   RE: MS2 vs MS3, Socal420aT, Feb-27-13 07:42 PM, #12

SymTech LabsFeb-03-13 02:06 PM
Member since Jun 29th 2009
68 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5651, "RE: MS2 vs MS3"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Red90Sev
So I've been tuning with my Portfueler now for a while and it's just very basic to me now and I'm ready to take the step into getting MS. My question is, my buddy has MS2 on his car and is very familiar with it, if I got a MS3 from Symtech, would he have any difficulties helping me with it?

The leap from MS2 to MS3 is insignificant compared to MS1 to MS2, or PortFueler to MS in general.

Also, the tune from Symtech is our stock tune correct? Stock fuel and stock timing tables?

It's not the stock configuration, but it's close, and it should at least get you started.

-----------------------------------------

- http://www.symtechlabs.com -

2GNT's Source for MegaSquirt
systems, accessories & more!

Service Manuals and Guides
MegaSquirt MSQ Repository

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Gruff511Feb-07-13 09:21 AM
Member since Aug 06th 2011
203 posts,
#5653, "RE: MS2 vs MS3"
In response to Reply # 1

If your not worried about spending a little extra Id recommend the MS3X. MS3 and MS2 can basically be wired to do all the same things but with the MS3X it adds alot of extra features you may want to use later on down the road. Also makes wiring up things easier.

Smash_NDashFeb-08-13 02:00 AM
Member since May 31st 2011
64 posts,
#5654, "RE: MS2 vs MS3"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Gruff511
If your not worried about spending a little extra Id recommend the MS3X. MS3 and MS2 can basically be wired to do all the same things but with the MS3X it adds alot of extra features you may want to use later on down the road. Also makes wiring up things easier.

x2

what ever you do I would advise you to stay away from the 3.57 board. unless you wont be running a bunch of features.

SilvrEclipsFeb-08-13 07:07 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#5655, "RE: MS2 vs MS3"
In response to Reply # 3

I would go with MS3 if you can afford it. I really like my MS2 but I have used up all of my outputs to run other features.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

VendorRed90SevFeb-09-13 03:54 PM
261 posts,
#5656, "RE: MS2 vs MS3"
In response to Reply # 4

How does ms3 make wiring things up easier? My buddy is telling me to get ms2 because ms3 is still buggy.

SymTech LabsFeb-09-13 04:32 PM
68 posts,
#5657, "RE: MS2 vs MS3"
In response to Reply # 5

How does ms3 make wiring things up easier? My buddy is telling me to get ms2 because ms3 is still buggy.

The external wiring is the same, for the most part.

The MS3 firmware is fairly stable at this point. It's been in available for about four years now, so the release firmware is pretty bug-free. The alpha and beta firmwares may have a bug or two, but they weren't intended for general use and the bugs are restricted to the more advanced features still under development.

VendorRed90SevFeb-09-13 05:57 PM
261 posts,
#5658, "RE: MS2 vs MS3"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by SymTech Labs
Originally posted by Red90Sev How does ms3 make wiring things up easier? My buddy is telling me to get ms2 because ms3 is still buggy.
The external wiring is the same, for the most part. The MS3 firmware is fairly stable at this point. It's been in available for about four years now, so the release firmware is pretty bug-free. The alpha and beta firmwares may have a bug or two, but they weren't intended for general use and the bugs are restricted to the more advanced features still under development.

Sounds good. At this point I'm just trying to sell my Portfueler setup. I'll be buying from you guys. Are things like 2step, wot shifting and boost control standard features? Or do I pay extra for those? Do you guys offer a ms3x package for the 420a? I noticed the ms3x doesn't come with the 3 bar map sensor etc like the package you guys offer for the ms2 420a package.

SymTech LabsFeb-10-13 06:59 AM
68 posts,
#5659, "RE: MS2 vs MS3"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Red90SevSounds good. At this point I'm just trying to sell my Portfueler setup. I'll be buying from you guys. Are things like 2step, wot shifting and boost control standard features? Or do I pay extra for those? Do you guys offer a ms3x package for the 420a? I noticed the ms3x doesn't come with the 3 bar map sensor etc like the package you guys offer for the ms2 420a package.

Great, we'll look forward to your order!

If you purchase the MS3X expansion board, launch control (two-step), flat shifting (WOT shifting/NLTS), and boost control are all standard features.

We don't offer an MS3 420A kit at this time, but you can select a 3 bar MAP sensor on the MS3 product page:

http://www.symtechlabs.com/catalog/megasquirt-ms3-ems-ecu-p-68.html

VendorRed90SevFeb-10-13 05:19 PM
261 posts,
#5660, "RE: MS2 vs MS3"
In response to Reply # 8

One more thing, do I need both the Megasquirt harness and the MS3x harness? Or just one of them?

SymTech LabsFeb-10-13 05:37 PM
68 posts,
#5661, "RE: MS2 vs MS3"
In response to Reply # 9

One more thing, do I need both the Megasquirt harness and the MS3x harness? Or just one of them?

You'll need both. There are two plugs on an MS3+MS3X system, one for each harness.

Tired2Feb-25-13 10:24 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2012
124 posts,
#5667, "RE: MS2 vs MS3"
In response to Reply # 10
Feb-25-13 10:33 PM by Tired2

I have been making videos of my MS2 build and install... Sorry to spam my own content here, but I made them because I had many of these questions when I started, and though I'm still learning, I have the car running now on MS2, and I try to cover things like why you would want MS3 instead, and how to wire in the sensors, which ones are needed, where they go, why, etc.

Here is the playlist on youtube. Watch in 1080p if you have the bandwidth

I have 16 'episodes' up now, and probably 15 more recorded ready to post in the next few weeks as I get around to it.

Oh, and most definitely buy from Symtechlabs, the support is well worth the cost. My car is a project, not a daily driver, so I can afford the headache and extra time needed to do a full DIY setup (MS board, harness, etc)

Socal420aTFeb-27-13 07:42 PM
Member since Jun 01st 2012
25 posts,
#5670, "RE: MS2 vs MS3"
In response to Reply # 11

If you can go with the Ms3x I went with the MSII and it works great but if I was keeping my setup I could see wanting more features

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5650 Previous topic | Next topic