Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5536
View in linear mode

Subject: "ECU Diagnosis" Previous topic | Next topic
gabureiruApr-26-12 10:15 AM
Member since Jul 26th 2011
22 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5536, "ECU Diagnosis"

Hello all, I've been having trouble with my car (1995 GS). I'll explain what has been going on. I did an engine rebuild, but still the car sometimes idle down and died. I went ahead an changed the Crank Sensor, since the sensor was cracked I thought "I'm on the right track" I had to cut and put the new plug. The car worked fine for like a mile, then it stuttered and died. Took it home, left it there for 3 days. On the fourth day, it didn't start. But if I gave a little knock on the ECU, the car started. I didn't want to use it like that, so I went ahead and bought a used ECU, the car still doesn't start. The electric guy tells me I need another ECU, is there a way to diagnose the ECU to know if that is the problem?

Thanks in advanced....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: ECU Diagnosis, j2sw, Apr-26-12 10:17 AM, #1
RE: ECU Diagnosis, gabureiru, Apr-26-12 10:21 AM, #2
      RE: ECU Diagnosis, SilvrEclips, Apr-27-12 05:25 AM, #3
           RE: ECU Diagnosis, gabureiru, Apr-27-12 09:03 AM, #4
                RE: ECU Diagnosis, SilvrEclips, Apr-27-12 01:55 PM, #5
                     RE: ECU Diagnosis, gabureiru, Apr-27-12 02:21 PM, #6
                          RE: ECU Diagnosis, SilvrEclips, Apr-30-12 09:12 AM, #7
                               RE: ECU Diagnosis, gabureiru, Apr-30-12 11:31 AM, #8
                                    RE: ECU Diagnosis, SilvrEclips, Apr-30-12 01:00 PM, #9
                                         RE: ECU Diagnosis, 96TALON420A, Jan-06-13 02:38 PM, #10

j2swApr-26-12 10:17 AM
Member since May 11th 2010
8 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5537, "RE: ECU Diagnosis"
In response to Reply # 0

Make sure your sensors do test out good. I had a bunch of problems with my 98 until I replaced the Throttle Position sensor.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

gabureiruApr-26-12 10:21 AM
22 posts,
#5538, "RE: ECU Diagnosis"
In response to Reply # 1

The electrician told me that all sensors tested out good. Honestly I don't believe him since the ECU was taken from a working car.

SilvrEclipsApr-27-12 05:25 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#5539, "RE: ECU Diagnosis"
In response to Reply # 2

Check for the basic things like fuel and spark. Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key on? Are you getting spark. These are easy things to check that might help narrow down the problem.

Also some different years had a different pinout at the ECU so you may have bought one that is not compatible.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

gabureiruApr-27-12 09:03 AM
22 posts,
#5540, "RE: ECU Diagnosis"
In response to Reply # 3

The pinout, I guess, it should match, since I used WinCAPS to match the part number to my car.

When you say, check for spark, what do you mean?

SilvrEclipsApr-27-12 01:55 PM
534 posts,
#5541, "RE: ECU Diagnosis"
In response to Reply # 4

Pull out a spark plug, connect the wire to the wire like it normally goes. Hold onto the rubber boot for the plug and touch the bottom of plug to something grounded. So when you try and crank the car the plug should spark. If it doesnt your not getting any spark. Dont touch the plug or it will shock you.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

gabureiruApr-27-12 02:21 PM
22 posts,
#5542, "RE: ECU Diagnosis"
In response to Reply # 5

Dang, cool test option. What should I do next in case there is no spark?

SilvrEclipsApr-30-12 09:12 AM
534 posts,
#5543, "RE: ECU Diagnosis"
In response to Reply # 6

Well if you also check to see if the fuel pump is priming. If neither pass the test then more than likely the ECU is keeping the car from running. If it detects a problem it will not run the fuel pump, injectors, or coils.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

gabureiruApr-30-12 11:31 AM
22 posts,
#5544, "RE: ECU Diagnosis"
In response to Reply # 7

Sadly I found no spark, and the fuel pump is no priming. Does it mean tha the ECU is bad, or is it a sign that something else is wrong?

SilvrEclipsApr-30-12 01:00 PM
534 posts,
#5545, "RE: ECU Diagnosis"
In response to Reply # 8

The ECU turns all of those things on. So more than likely the ECU is not allowing them to turn out. Meaning that the ECU is detecting something is wrong. It could be a bad ECU, or it could be the ECU not seeing the crank sensor, tps. There is lots of things you need to check and test.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

96TALON420AJan-06-13 02:38 PM
Member since Oct 23rd 2011
5 posts,
#5642, "RE: ECU Diagnosis"
In response to Reply # 9

were can you find a good used or a new ecu? I have the same problem it sounds like! all my sensors look to be in decent condition but i do get spark and the cars runs for a mile or so then shuts off.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5536 Previous topic | Next topic