Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5397
View in linear mode

Subject: "MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly" Previous topic | Next topic
Wes TankOct-23-11 02:17 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5397, "MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly"

So I got the talon running on the MSII, fuel only right now until I iron out all the issues. My problem now is that while driving, it keeps "losing sync" randomly which in turn causes a very quick hiccup like a misfire. The MS clock keeps counting so I know the MS isn't completely resetting. I thought it may have been a 12v supply issue or a ground issue so I ran completely separated power and ground wires for the MS unit back to my battery posts figuring that's probably the cleanest I can get. Also, every time it "loses sync" the ASE kicks on and eff's things up for a couple seconds. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly, AdministratorCODE4, Oct-23-11 04:16 PM, #1
RE: MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly, Wes Tank, Oct-23-11 04:51 PM, #2
      RE: MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly, Wes Tank, Oct-23-11 05:28 PM, #3
           RE: MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly, Wes Tank, Oct-24-11 11:19 PM, #4
                RE: MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly, Wes Tank, Oct-25-11 07:35 PM, #5
                     RE: MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly, Wes Tank, Nov-01-11 02:38 PM, #6

AdministratorCODE4Oct-23-11 04:16 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5398, "RE: MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly"
In response to Reply # 0

What type of harness are you using? Is your crank sensor signal shielded? By changing the MS grounds to the battery and leaving sensor grounds to wherever they are, you are offsetting your ground plane. For the cleanest signals, you should ground all input sensors for the MS to the same point as the MS grounds.

Also, in the future, post your MSQ and a datalog for people to help you diagnose, otherwise our guess is as good as yours.

Capture the crank signal as well using TunerStudios and post it up.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Wes TankOct-23-11 04:51 PM
214 posts,
#5399, "RE: MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly"
In response to Reply # 1
Oct-23-11 05:28 PM by Wes Tank

Using a symtech harness with shielded signal wire. I'll have to switch my sensor ground to the MS ground. Right now they are going to the factory ecu ground. I can post the data log files tomorrow when I'm by my laptop. Also when it happens, the tach needle drops instantly a couple hundred rpm and the LEDs all blink at once.

Wes TankOct-23-11 05:28 PM
214 posts,
#5400, "RE: MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly"
In response to Reply # 2
Oct-24-11 09:16 AM by Wes Tank

Here's a video of what it looks like.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/crazdawgtodaend/4ef08d0d.mp4

Wes TankOct-24-11 11:19 PM
214 posts,
#5401, "RE: MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly"
In response to Reply # 3

Here's a log

http://bit.ly/rp3s8W

Here's my tune:

http://bit.ly/w0Z4H2

In this log you can see the rpm's randomly drop to zero throughout the log. I can't figure out why this is happening. If you go to and spot where it drops to zero, it also shows that it loses sync. It also shows the lost sync reason as number 23 which is 420a long tooth not found. Getting kind of lost here. Example is record 1939.

Wes TankOct-25-11 07:35 PM
214 posts,
#5402, "RE: MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly"
In response to Reply # 4
Oct-25-11 07:38 PM by Wes Tank

Here's ignition logs...

http://bit.ly/uk3SpO Tooth

http://bit.ly/s3hd5R Sync Error

http://bit.ly/suMSRV Composite

http://bit.ly/rKkrST Trigger

Wes TankNov-01-11 02:38 PM
214 posts,
#5403, "RE: MSII Help, Losing Sync Randomly"
In response to Reply # 5
Nov-01-11 03:30 PM by Wes Tank

I believe I figured it out, just drove for 20 mins and didn't lose sync once. After all that rewiring, checking connections, and changing settings...

I changed the sensor. Boom no losing sync. Guess I figured a brand new sensor wouldn't be bad.

I'll report back if anything changes. Onto tuning this beast now.

EDIT..

I actually found small nicking on the sensor I pulled out.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5397 Previous topic | Next topic