Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5162
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tuning problems, running like $hI#" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Vendorreborn750Feb-19-11 03:54 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2010
45 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5162, "Tuning problems, running like $hI#"

Well i finally am getting close to done with my car. 420a, forged internals, crower stage 2 cams, ported head, 45lb fuel pressure, 1200cc rc injectors, e-85, turbo at 10lbs, lc-1 wideband. I can get the car started after 5 minutes of cranking, it runs like crap and wont idle. Drove it around the block and that was even more interesting of a cruise. I am really new to this tuning thing, and have read read and read megamanual like everyone has said. I dont know what im missing here. Can somebody look at my tune, and see if anything stands out? How do i attach my file to this thread? sorry if i sound stupid, but that wouldnt be too far off haha

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-19-11 04:24 PM, #1
RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, Vendorreborn750, Feb-19-11 07:57 PM, #2
      RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-19-11 08:02 PM, #3
           RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, Vendorreborn750, Feb-19-11 08:22 PM, #4
                RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-19-11 08:24 PM, #5
                     RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, Vendorreborn750, Feb-19-11 08:34 PM, #6
                          RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-19-11 08:35 PM, #7
                               RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, Vendorreborn750, Feb-19-11 08:47 PM, #8
                                    RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-19-11 08:48 PM, #9
                                         RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-19-11 09:12 PM, #10
                                              RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, Vendorreborn750, Feb-19-11 10:07 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, Vendorreborn750, Feb-19-11 11:17 PM, #12
                                                        RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-20-11 07:00 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, Vendorreborn750, Feb-20-11 01:03 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-20-11 01:08 PM, #15
                                                                       RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, Vendorreborn750, Feb-20-11 01:25 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-20-11 01:27 PM, #17
                                                                                 RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, Vendorreborn750, Feb-20-11 01:32 PM, #18
                                                                                      RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-20-11 01:35 PM, #19
                                                                                           RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, Vendorreborn750, Feb-20-11 01:45 PM, #20
                                                                                                RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-20-11 01:48 PM, #21

AdministratorCODE4Feb-19-11 04:24 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5163, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 0

So are we talking about MegaSquirt? You need to include much more details. I assume MS as you mentioned the megamanual, but you you need to specify processor, board version, and any custom mods.

Go to http://2gnt.com/, log in, and then click on UPLOAD FILE on the left of the page. Then paste the link it gives you after uploading to your thread here. Give my the .MSQ and any datalog files you have recorded.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Vendorreborn750Feb-19-11 07:57 PM
45 posts,
#5164, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes sorry im running ms2 standalone. Ive been looking all over trying to find how to upload my tune like you said but havent had any luck figuring it out yet. I was playing with it a little more and only thing i found that really stood out was that my EGO gauge on the dashboard was red and was reading about 10.5 volts. I dont know if this is really bad but im assuming if the gauge is red then it is outside the acceptable values. I tried uploading the tunes on symtech but was getting error messages and was unable to do it. everything i try on the ecu is a fail, i will continue trying to figure out how to upload my tune so somebody can take a look at it

AdministratorCODE4Feb-19-11 08:02 PM
2552 posts,
#5165, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 2

PM me with your email address and I will get in touch with you there.

Go to 2gnt.com front page and look at the following:

---

2012 2500HD LML

Vendorreborn750Feb-19-11 08:22 PM
45 posts,
#5166, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 3

now im trying to upload my project tune and when i open the projects folder the only two available are the example tunes, and my current tune "turbo420a" is nowhere to be found in my files

AdministratorCODE4Feb-19-11 08:24 PM
2552 posts,
#5167, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 4

Cannot help you there. Run a search for the file name. It is wherever you save your tune files to.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Vendorreborn750Feb-19-11 08:34 PM
45 posts,
#5168, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 5

well i found the turbo420a folder, which file do i upload? i selected current tune and it said it was in the wrong format. maybe the properties files under "Project Cfg" folder??? im just not certain which file needs to be uploaded

AdministratorCODE4Feb-19-11 08:35 PM
2552 posts,
#5169, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 6

your tune is a *.msq file. Peruse the MegaManual a bit more bro too.

When you save your tune, what does it ask you for file format?

---

2012 2500HD LML

Vendorreborn750Feb-19-11 08:47 PM
45 posts,
#5170, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 7

this is what it says.

File must be a jpg, gif, bmp, png, txt, pdf, doc or MegaSquirt MSQ! Failed to upload file 2-16-11.msq Error Code: 0 Filetype: application/octet-stream Size:54683

AdministratorCODE4Feb-19-11 08:48 PM
2552 posts,
#5171, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 8

Just email the file to me.

---

2012 2500HD LML

AdministratorCODE4Feb-19-11 09:12 PM
2552 posts,
#5172, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 9
Feb-19-11 09:25 PM by CODE4

Got your MSQ. Now some questions:

1. Your VE table only goes up to 100 kpa. You mentioned that you are turbo'ed, so where is the rest of your map?

2. Idled like crap - what do you have for idle control? Stepper control via MSII? You have On/Off valve selected in your Idle Control settings, which does not apply to the 420a IAC.

3. Your AFR table needs adjustment. Again it only goes up to 100 kpa. Some spots of the AFR map are very lean, and since you have EGO control on, it is going to pull your VE buckets to the lean side.

4. Ignition table only goes to 100 kpa. All three of your tables need at least a base tune to your maximum boost level, otherwise it is going to be dangerous to operate your engine about 100 kpa as the tables have no values. Boom!

5. High or Low Impedance injectors? Your injector characteristics, specifically the PWM settings are not correct for low impedance.

Sort out these basic settings before even attempting to drive the vehicle. Also your WBO2 should only be in the range of 0 to 5 volts. You mentioned something about 10.5 volts? You mean 10.5:1 AFR? Have you calibrated the sensor values and burned them to the MSII? Under TOOLS, select CALIBRATE AFR TABLE, and select the sensor you have. Then click WRITE TO CONTROLLER, if you have not performed the above.

Again much of this is covered under the basic settings here: http://msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Tuning_Manual.html

Just viewed your log file. Your wideband is not setup correctly. Follow the instructions in the msextra manual to set it up. Next, based on your injector size (1200) and the pulse widths I am seeing in the log file, you are running way rich. Your fuel table is for stock sized injectors. You need to find a base msq with similar injectors or scale the whole map down to where your WBO2 readings are near stoich.

Your CLT and IAT sensors - are they the GM sensors or are you using stock 2GNT sensors. If they are 2GNT sensors, have you re-calibrated the appropriate files? The temperatures seem very low - was the ambient temperature during the time of the log around 40*F?

---

2012 2500HD LML

Vendorreborn750Feb-19-11 10:07 PM
45 posts,
#5173, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by CODE4
Got your MSQ. Now some questions: 1. Your VE table only goes up to 100 kpa. You mentioned that you are turbo'ed, so where is the rest of your map? 2. Idled like crap - what do you have for idle control? Stepper control via MSII? You have On/Off valve selected in your Idle Control settings, which does not apply to the 420a IAC. 3. Your AFR table needs adjustment. Again it only goes up to 100 kpa. Some spots of the AFR map are very lean, and since you have EGO control on, it is going to pull your VE buckets to the lean side. 4. Ignition table only goes to 100 kpa. All three of your tables need at least a base tune to your maximum boost level, otherwise it is going to be dangerous to operate your engine about 100 kpa as the tables have no values. Boom! 5. High or Low Impedance injectors? Your injector characteristics, specifically the PWM settings are not correct for low impedance. Sort out these basic settings before even attempting to drive the vehicle. Also your WBO2 should only be in the range of 0 to 5 volts. You mentioned something about 10.5 volts? You mean 10.5:1 AFR? Have you calibrated the sensor values and burned them to the MSII? Under TOOLS, select CALIBRATE AFR TABLE, and select the sensor you have. Then click WRITE TO CONTROLLER, if you have not performed the above. Again much of this is covered under the basic settings here: http://msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Tuning_Manual.html Just viewed your log file. Your wideband is not setup correctly. Follow the instructions in the msextra manual to set it up. Next, based on your injector size (1200) and the pulse widths I am seeing in the log file, you are running way rich. Your fuel table is for stock sized injectors. You need to find a base msq with similar injectors or scale the whole map down to where your WBO2 readings are near stoich. Your CLT and IAT sensors - are they the GM sensors or are you using stock 2GNT sensors. If they are 2GNT sensors, have you re-calibrated the appropriate files? The temperatures seem very low - was the ambient temperature during the time of the log around 40*F?

1. i guess i dont really understand the kpa part you speak of on the VE table. How do i get it above the 100kpa you say it should be at?

2. I didnt realize that setting was on under the idle control, is it supposed to be set to IAC stepper always on?

3 & 4. How do i set a base tune for my maximum boost level? my wastegate is for 10lbs and tats what my max boost will be for a while.

5. As for injectors i dont really know if they are high or low impedance. I just ordered 1200cc rc injectors from an ebay store and i believe just tuned them for whatever impedance stock 420a injectors were but i dont rememver if they were low or high impedance.

Earlier i went to calibrate AFR table and made sure i set everything to wideband lc-1 default and wrote to controller but now that i look at it again it is set back to narrowband... I calibrated te GM air and coolant sensors and wrote to controller also. As for te fuel table, i am not sure ow to download a base map for injectors of my size. I tried getting the ones from symtech but i kept getting errors, maybe i was doing it incorrectly. I believe i calibrated the temp sensors correctly, the ambient temperature was probably 20-30 degrees

Vendorreborn750Feb-19-11 11:17 PM
45 posts,
#5174, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 11

i am trying to use one of the tunes on symtech's file repository to work off of but have no idea how to do it. When i download it originally asks if i want to continue because its a different version of ms2, after selecting yes, there is no tune at all, just all default settings. How do i load somebody else's tune into tunerstudio?

AdministratorCODE4Feb-20-11 07:00 AM
2552 posts,
#5175, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 12

You have a very steep learning curve ahead of you. At this point if you want your car to run ASAP, I suggest finding someone local that is familiar with the Megasquirt system to tune it for you, or buckle down and expect your car to be down for a little while.

As I mentioned earlier, read this: http://msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Tuning_Manual.html thoroughly. I am not saying this to be condescending, but if you do not know the differences between high/low impedance injectors of or measurements of kpa, you need to read, read, read.

Where did you buy your MSII? Did you personally wire it up? How did you wire up the IAC? Does it have the 420a modifications necessary?

I have the impression that you have expectations of the MSII unit to be rather plug-n-play, when it is far from that. Every car is unique and takes fine tuning. Even another Eclipse with same mods would not behave identically with the same tuning file.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Vendorreborn750Feb-20-11 01:03 PM
45 posts,
#5176, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by CODE4
You have a very steep learning curve ahead of you. At this point if you want your car to run ASAP, I suggest finding someone local that is familiar with the Megasquirt system to tune it for you, or buckle down and expect your car to be down for a little while. As I mentioned earlier, read this: http://msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Tuning_Manual.html thoroughly. I am not saying this to be condescending, but if you do not know the differences between high/low impedance injectors of or measurements of kpa, you need to read, read, read. Where did you buy your MSII? Did you personally wire it up? How did you wire up the IAC? Does it have the 420a modifications necessary? I have the impression that you have expectations of the MSII unit to be rather plug-n-play, when it is far from that. Every car is unique and takes fine tuning. Even another Eclipse with same mods would not behave identically with the same tuning file.

I am aware that i have alot of learning ahead of me, as i have no experience in this area whatsoever. I am fully aware that this is nowhere near a plug and play system. I dont know if i will find much luck here in south dakota finding somebody with megasquirt experience. There is a performance shop about an hour from here that has never worked with it but said they could give it a shot. I bought my ms2 from symtech and personally wired it up. When you ask how i wired the IAC are you referring to the IAC1 and IAC2 wires? IAC1 is the control i believe and IAC2 is te tach output. Im not aware of the 420a modifications you are talking about but i bought the 420a ms2 from symtech so i would assume it should have the necessary modifications. Isnt starting from a similair tune going to be the way to start? Is it possible for somebody else to build a tune specific to my mods that will get me close so i have a close starting point? I am willing to pay for somebody to do this if somebody would be interested. If nobody here is interested is there a shop or an expert that does this kind of thing?

AdministratorCODE4Feb-20-11 01:08 PM
2552 posts,
#5177, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 14

By IAC, I mean the IAC valve mounted on your throttle body with four wires on it. Was that a part of your Symtech package, and did you wire up the 4 wires from your MS harness to it? If not, then you should not expect any kind of smooth idle as you have no idle control.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Vendorreborn750Feb-20-11 01:25 PM
45 posts,
#5178, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 15

The only thing wired up to my throttle body is the TPS. I just want my car to idle, if it doesnt idle really smooth thats okay i suppose. Is the IAC necessary to get my car to idle?

AdministratorCODE4Feb-20-11 01:27 PM
2552 posts,
#5179, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by reborn750
The only thing wired up to my throttle body is the TPS. I just want my car to idle, if it doesnt idle really smooth thats okay i suppose. Is the IAC necessary to get my car to idle?

if you want the MS to control idle, you need to have the MSII wired up for stepper control. Did you not specify that when you bought the MSII? Fan control? Tach output? To have the standalone run effectively you need options enabled.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Vendorreborn750Feb-20-11 01:32 PM
45 posts,
#5180, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 17
Feb-20-11 01:32 PM by reborn750

I just bought the system below in the link because i assumed everything was there and installed to run megasquirt on my 420a. Do i need something else to control idle?

http://www.symtechlabs.com/catalog/complete-420aneon-megasquirt-ems-kit-p-57.html?osCsid=81ff37efce88f5ce39afab1ab98057c3

AdministratorCODE4Feb-20-11 01:35 PM
2552 posts,
#5181, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 18

You need to contact the vendor and find out what exactly you bought and what it is capable of. Other options are to use the stock ECU to control idle or buy a manual IAC valve.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Vendorreborn750Feb-20-11 01:45 PM
45 posts,
#5182, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 19

well the entire stock wiring harness and ecu are removed so that isnt much of an option. I will contact symtech and ask them if i have IAC control on my ecu. If i wire up a manual iac valve like the one diyautotune sells i will still need a ms2 controller that can control the IAC correct?

Here is the manual IAC valve im talking about

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/custom-idle-air-control-body-for-use-with-jeep-40l-iac-valve-p-69.html

AdministratorCODE4Feb-20-11 01:48 PM
2552 posts,
#5183, "RE: Tuning problems, running like $hI#"
In response to Reply # 20

If you buy that kit from DIY, you still need the appropriate mods done to the MSII to control it. You will also need to buy the appropirate control valve that works with that block.

You need to refer to the MSExtra documents and manual, as all of this has been written out.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5162 Previous topic | Next topic