Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5143
View in linear mode

Subject: "Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171" Previous topic | Next topic
ryan95eclipseJan-24-11 02:15 AM
Member since Oct 03rd 2010
59 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5143, "Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171"

Ok so my girlfriend bought this car about 4 months ago. 1998 eclipse gs 5spd. 108k for 1200 bucks. no rust. needs a o2 front bank 1 sensor and a clutch. Get a used o2 sensor off a sitting car and rewired it (universal crap) Reset the ECU and the car ran great for about 20 miles or so then it tried to stall, rpms dropped quickly and then raised quickly about 2-4 seconds later to normal idle and a CEL appears reading P0171 or System too lean.

Any opinions. Car runs great. idles fine. lots of power. Smells a bit sometimes like gas.But everything seems good besides this new issue.

Car is stock other then a hps short ram and header to custom exhuast.

o2 sensor came off a 98 gs as well that was replaced not that long ago.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171, 420agreenvilleSC, Jan-24-11 02:41 PM, #1
RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171, ryan95eclipse, Jan-24-11 03:10 PM, #2
      RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171, 420agreenvilleSC, Jan-24-11 11:10 PM, #3
           RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171, ryan95eclipse, Jan-25-11 06:42 PM, #4
                RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171, VelocitaPaola, Jan-26-11 12:31 AM, #5
                     RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171, ryan95eclipse, Jan-26-11 06:32 PM, #6
                          RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171, grain, Feb-01-11 07:20 PM, #7

420agreenvilleSCJan-24-11 02:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5144, "RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-24-11 02:43 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

how do you know the used o2 you replaced it with is known good or not

also, note that the angle of upstream o2's need to face slightly away from the flow of exhaust gases. this prevents condensation which kills o2 sensors. Just and FYI

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ryan95eclipseJan-24-11 03:10 PM
59 posts,
#5145, "RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171"
In response to Reply # 1

I cant be positive that its good, but i dont see how it could be bad, it canceled out the 02 sensel CEL and now it just reads the system too lean.

Im not sure on what you said about the angle..

I just matched the wires together. and had to pull the radiator out to get the damn thing in. tightened it up and reset the ecu, then it popped on after about 20 miles or less.

i dont know what else to check?

everyone on here states there car is doing something differently. could it be doing this if wd-40 got on it a little bit?

420agreenvilleSCJan-24-11 11:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#5146, "RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by ryan95eclipse
Im not sure on what you said about the angle..

these rules apply to installation of all o2 sensors. Pages 5 and 9: http://www.vespalabs.org/@api/deki/files/615/=Bosch_lsu_info.pdf

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

ryan95eclipseJan-25-11 06:42 PM
59 posts,
#5147, "RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171"
In response to Reply # 3

Im not sure if i did that or not. i just pulled the radiator and screwed in the o2 sensor, it went right in and i tightened it with a wrench. twisted the wires together and taped em...etc

VelocitaPaolaJan-26-11 12:31 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#5148, "RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by ryan95eclipse
twisted the wires together and taped em...etc

That may be your problem. Most O2 sensors use stainless steel wire, so you can't solder them with a soldering iron; instead, you should make your connections with with heat shrink crimp connectors. Just twisting the wires together probably isn't sufficient.

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

ryan95eclipseJan-26-11 06:32 PM
59 posts,
#5149, "RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171"
In response to Reply # 5

Okay ill try that first and see what happens. Ill be in a damn good mood if it fixes the problem. the girlfriend should be happy and it would be a good night. haha ill try that either friday or saturday.

grainFeb-01-11 07:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#5150, "RE: Replaced o2 bank 1. now running too lean? p0171"
In response to Reply # 6

why did you buy a universal one? cutting wires just gives more of a chance for error.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5143 Previous topic | Next topic