Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5058
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sensor pictures & required pigtails" Previous topic | Next topic
AdministratorCODE4Nov-15-10 07:25 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5058, "Sensor pictures & required pigtails"
Nov-15-10 09:14 AM by CODE4

In preparation for installing a new MSII unit and building a new harness from scratch I am searching for new pigtails for the existing sensors.

I have never realized this, but it appears that the Crank, Cam, VSS, & coil share the same plug design.

TPS is obviously a different connector, and I am still tracking that one down currently.

Airtex has an available pigtail listed as a Camshaft Position Sensor Connector, but I have seen it referenced for a replacement for the crank sensor too. Part number is 1P1080 and goes for $9.32 on rockauto.com.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Sensor pictures & require pigtails, Moderatorteklein, Nov-15-10 07:28 AM, #1
RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails, AdministratorCODE4, Nov-15-10 06:28 PM, #2
RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails, RoninEclipse2G, Nov-15-10 07:23 PM, #3
RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails, AdministratorCODE4, Nov-15-10 09:46 PM, #4
RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-15-10 10:02 PM, #5
      RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails, AdministratorCODE4, Nov-18-10 11:54 AM, #6
           RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails, AdministratorCODE4, Nov-23-10 05:35 PM, #7
                RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails, ModeratorCorbin, Feb-02-11 09:00 PM, #8
RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails - COIL Pigtail, AdministratorCODE4, May-06-11 02:23 PM, #9
TPS Wiring | Callout, AdministratorCODE4, May-12-11 02:23 PM, #10
RE: TPS Wiring | Callout, 420agreenvilleSC, May-12-11 07:33 PM, #11

ModeratortekleinNov-15-10 07:28 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#5059, "RE: Sensor pictures & require pigtails"
In response to Reply # 0
Nov-15-10 07:29 AM by teklein

Yep, the VSS will plug into the coil pack and vice versa. The picture of the TPS is a different connector though.

Good info, thats not a bad price!

I wonder if I can find the injector harness connector too...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Nov-15-10 06:28 PM
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5060, "RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails"
In response to Reply # 0

Comparison between old (95-96) round pin and newer flat pin TPS sensors.
I just noticed that the neon picture below shows a molded "key" on the sensor where the 2GNT one in my first post above does not have it. Anyway I need the pigtail if anyone has seen it. I have been browsing Digikey, Mouser, and Waytek without much luck.

---

2012 2500HD LML

RoninEclipse2GNov-15-10 07:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#5061, "RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails"
In response to Reply # 2

I have the entire front harness from a 97 minus the headlight pigtails still sitting in my parts car.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

AdministratorCODE4Nov-15-10 09:46 PM
2552 posts,
#5062, "RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails"
In response to Reply # 0

Here is a picture I grabbed of my TPS pigtail on the vehicle:

I also found what I think is the Neon connector, and from what I can tell wil work with ours as well, since our sensor does not have the molded key slot. The only thing that I am not sure about is how the holes in our pigtail are shaped like a capital I where as the one I found on bmotorsports are a little different.

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/109_110/products_id/1706

---

2012 2500HD LML

420agreenvilleSCNov-15-10 10:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#5063, "RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails"
In response to Reply # 4

this is a good "dissection" thread on these connectors.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

AdministratorCODE4Nov-18-10 11:54 AM
2552 posts,
#5065, "RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails"
In response to Reply # 5
Nov-18-10 11:57 AM by CODE4

Revisting the TPS deal, I stopped by local Mopar dealer with VIN numbers and TPS part numbers in an attempt to find a pigtail for our sensor.

So to recap, the 2GNT TPS sensor is 4874430AB, and the dealer system shows no pigtail listed for it. Aftermarket part numbers for this TPS include Standard TH213T, and Airtex 5S5092.

sensor

pigtail

TPS sensor for 2.4 models, SRTs, cloud cars, etc, is 4606196. Dealer system shows an available pigtail listed as 5013999aa, which I picked up today. Airtex 5S5090, Standard TH214.

sensor

pigtail

Physically, the sensors look nearly identical on the side that mates to the throttle body. So it seems if you are out of luck with a 2GNT Pigtail that has shit the bed, and have no way to source a replacement (used obviously), then the next course of action may be to swap in a 2.4 TPS sensor and use the pigtail kit from Mopar.

As I have a 2.4 TPS sitting around, I will see if it bolts up to my throttle body the next time I have it off and see if it does in fact bolt on without issue.

I am still on the hunt for the elusive 2GNT pigtail though - if anyone knows where to find it, by all means jump in.

---

2012 2500HD LML

AdministratorCODE4Nov-23-10 05:35 PM
2552 posts,
#5066, "RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails"
In response to Reply # 6

Ok, got some more pictures to fill this damn thread with.

Side by side comparisons of a 2GNT and 2.4 TPS. If using the same bolts, you can see that the 2.4 TPS has no countersink for the bolt head to recess into. The number of threads are likely to be enough, but it would not hurt to replace them with slightly longer ones.

---

2012 2500HD LML

ModeratorCorbinFeb-02-11 09:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#5151, "RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails"
In response to Reply # 7

I found something interesting while searching the web:

http://starparts.chrysler.com/starlibrary/marketing/conkits/connectorkits_navigation.htm

If you wish to duplicate a sensor that you already have (or have a picture of), you can search through that web site until you find a picture of what you want. Just select the number of pins and flip through the pages to find your connector. Copy down the part number and head to this next page:

http://dto.vftis.com/mopar/platform_select.asp

Type the part number in the search box next to "kit number" and click "go". The site will list each 1997+ car that uses this connector and what sensor/actuator it is used for. You can use the "platform: all body styles" drop down box to clarify the platform code.

I recently used this to determine that my 1995 coil pack plug is part number 05013939AA and that it is used on the MAP sensor of 1997-2000 Caravans with the 3.0l engine. I hit the junkyard and had no problem finding what I needed. Please note that the picture of 05013939AA is mislabeled as 05013946AA. If you right click the image and "save as", it will fill in the part number as the file name. It might be good to double check you info this way, before driving to the junkyard.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

AdministratorCODE4May-06-11 02:23 PM
2552 posts,
#5256, "RE: Sensor pictures & required pigtails - COIL Pigtail"
In response to Reply # 0

The RockAuto and other aftermarket suppliers of the 3 pin connector for the Cam/Crank/VSS sensors come with 18 ga. wire. It is important to realize that pin 2 of the coil is the 12 volt supply wire, and the OEM harness has what appears to be 14 ga. in that location. Using the pigtail specified for the sensors in place for the coil is risky (high current through small gauge wire, resistance = heat, etc).

ModernPerformance sells the kit from the dealer, or you can buy the kit yourself if necessary.

Part # 05014007AA

---

2012 2500HD LML

AdministratorCODE4May-12-11 02:23 PM
2552 posts,
#5260, "TPS Wiring | Callout"
In response to Reply # 0
May-13-11 12:05 PM by CODE4

After some bench testing, I verified that the 2.4 TPS sensor pin outs are in the same location as the 2GNT TPS. Revisiting this issue, I have not been able to find an aftermarket or OEM replacement pigtail for our TPS. If yours gets destroyed, burned, or your dog ate it, you are SOL unless you can get a junkyard harness to cut up.

The 2.4L TPS has an OEM replacement (due to post production issues with the harness). Part number, again, is 05013999AA. The colors are generic orange and blue in my kit.

Stock 2GNT on the left, with our harness wiring colors. 2.4L TPS on the right.

---

2012 2500HD LML

420agreenvilleSCMay-12-11 07:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#5261, "RE: TPS Wiring | Callout"
In response to Reply # 10

ur awesome dave

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5058 Previous topic | Next topic