Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5040
View in linear mode

Subject: "Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k" Previous topic | Next topic
itsaslow95Nov-04-10 10:33 PM
Member since Oct 17th 2009
139 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5040, "Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"

I have megasquirt II v3 /extra as im sure most of you have come to know :/

running RC650 injectors
Crower stage 4 cams
8.8:1 wiesco's
major port work
stock tb(deleted iac and filled in port, using stop screw)

my car is idling at 3000rpm @ 11inhg of vacuum no matter what i do.

it shows it at about dead center of the VE table when its running on tunerstudio
A/F is at about 11-12 (rich as hell i know)

today i lowered the fuel pressure as low as i could get it to roughly 32-35psi static.

that helped me lean to about 14-15 so i cant complain about that. but i have no idea what to do to get it to idle!! im going insane here.
also the gauge is reading a steady 11 so i dont think its a vacuum leak because its not fluctuating.

furthermore its running hot. has boiled over twice thinking there was air in the system i burped it today and it seems to be better, not acceptable but better. it gets to about 205 with both fans on. im pretty lost on this one too.

let me know what you think and/or if you need anymore information.

thanks alot!!!

-Jason

---------------------------------------
most posts are done from my iPhone please excuse my typos

95 eclipse gs turbo - parting out
2004- dodge dakota
2006 lancer with a fancy wing and really expensive brakes.

~Naturally Aspirated then Pressurized~
Streetworksautomotivetuning.com <~ best friend's shop SUPPORT HIM!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-01-10 07:07 PM, #1
RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, itsaslow95, Nov-02-10 06:44 AM, #2
      RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-02-10 01:24 PM, #3
           RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, itsaslow95, Nov-04-10 04:20 PM, #4
                RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-04-10 10:33 PM, #5
                     RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, itsaslow95, Nov-05-10 03:18 AM, #6
                          RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, itsaslow95, Nov-05-10 05:10 AM, #7
                               RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, itsaslow95, Nov-05-10 02:09 PM, #8
                                    RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-08-10 07:21 PM, #9
                                         RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, itsaslow95, Nov-09-10 05:22 AM, #10
                                              RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, AdministratorCODE4, Nov-09-10 07:18 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, itsaslow95, Nov-09-10 07:30 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, itsaslow95, Nov-09-10 05:26 PM, #13
                                                             RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-09-10 05:36 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, itsaslow95, Nov-09-10 05:55 PM, #15
                                                                       RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-11-10 05:20 PM, #16

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-01-10 07:07 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5041, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 0

At 3000RPM its going to overheat if you are trying to idle it like that. Thats normal.

You must be getting air into the intake to sustain a 3000 rpm idle. Either close off the throttle plates or check your IAC block off.

Next thing is to look at your timing around the idle bins. IF the timing ramps up to quickly off the idle area, that will cuase the rpm to hang a little. Smooth out the timing ramp and that will make it harder for the idle to climb on its own.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

itsaslow95Nov-02-10 06:44 AM
139 posts,
#5042, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Terry I'll try to look at it today after school. I'm going to try and post up a screen shot or two today also. Im in way over my head with tuning this:/

Does the 11" of vacuum mean anything though?

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-02-10 01:24 PM
8331 posts,
#5043, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 2

Vacuum can be off by so many factors. Leaks, RPM, Timing, AFR, cam overlap.

The first thing you need to straighten out is the 3000 Idle. Once you get that under control you set your timing where it should be. Then you go after setting your Idle mixture based on vacuum.

itsaslow95Nov-04-10 04:20 PM
139 posts,
#5044, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 3

alright terry.

i made my own smoke machine yesterday because i wasnt getting any results with propane or 2+2... and 1800 from snap on is bullshit.

ill make a writeup on how if there is any interest in it.

reguardless.. ive found 2 small leaks, one where the factory map sensor is, a little finese with an o-ring and that ones good. and also the tb gasket and my iac block off... jbweld and rtv are drying now :thumbs up:

do you think that two small leaks could sustain a 3000rpm idle with the butterfly closed??? i dont. but im unsure.

also about what kind of vacuum number do you think ill have with my setup?

thanks!

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-04-10 10:33 PM
8331 posts,
#5046, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 4

it would have to be a large leak.

How much overlap is on those cams? Both adv and .050"

Start backign your throttle plates down. There is no way they are fully closed. If you dont have a huge leak then the plates are open. Loosen the cable adjuster and back the throttle screw in.

itsaslow95Nov-05-10 03:18 AM
139 posts,
#5047, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 5

I'll post the cam information when I get a chance and I had the screw fully backed out there was a gap between the screw and the linkage. :/

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

itsaslow95Nov-05-10 05:10 AM
139 posts,
#5048, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 6

Stage 3 - Full Race
Recommended for drag race use.
Heavy engine mods required.
RPM Range: 2200 to 7500+

Advertised Duration:
254 / 250

Duration @ .050":
205 / 200

Gross Lift w/1.75:
.444" / .437"

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

itsaslow95Nov-05-10 02:09 PM
139 posts,
#5049, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 7

alright fixed those leaks, and the map sensor broke, so i need to make an entire block off plate.. no biggie but when i smoked it again i have a very slight and i mean very slight amount coming out of the second injector around the intake.. hmm? any thoughts on an easy remedy? i considered 2+2 to attempt to swell the oring but im not so sure about that. also i have slight "seepage" around my throttle plate.

it can close the throttle now and get the car to idle around 16-1800. close the throttle anymore and she dies. i am noticing only about 6-8in of vacuum now. does this make sense to anyone?

thanks

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-08-10 07:21 PM
8331 posts,
#5050, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 8

Cam duration isnt all that big so I would expect 8-10 inches of vacuum. Your new idle of 1600-1800 can be a couple things.

First off a few things will make the idle sit high. Additional air as we have discussed and Timing.

What you can try is to set the idle bins of the car at 17*. Now just doing that isnt going to change a thing becuase the idle is stuck at 1600 RPM and 8 inches of vacuum. So to pull it down to where it should be (1000RPM) you can use the clutch with the parking brake on.

Make sure you have enough fuel at idle, not enough fuel will cuase it to fall off as well.

If the car will idle when you pull it down with the clutch then your hanging up due to your timing advance off IDLE.

The tiny leaks you have most likely are not the cause. Your tuning is which means its fixable.

Rules to tune with:

Retarded timing will cause the idle to drop
Advanced timing will cause idle to raise
Open plates will cause idle to raise and Vice Versa
More fuel will cause idle increase and Vice Versa
Advancing the cams will give you more low end at the cost of top end
Retarding the cams will give you more top end at the cost of low end

Do not expect those cams to idle like stock, they wont. Dont expect idle vacuum either. Once you get your idle down to 1000 then start tuning the mixture to the vacuum reading. Lean out the Idle fuel to raise the vacuum. When the vacuum stops raising go 1 or 2 points richer on the fuel mixture.

Advancing the timing will also increase vacuum. But as I have stated you are going to push the idle up so you counter that with closing the throttle plates a tiny bit. You dont want the plates open too much and you dont want them closed so much that your timing is advanced to the point the car doesnt want to start. Timing advanced too much will cause the engine to fight itself starting.

This info should be enough to get you on the right track, remember to work methodically and be patient. Rome wasnt built in a day.

Terry

itsaslow95Nov-09-10 05:22 AM
139 posts,
#5051, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 9

I'm sorry Terry, I'm still Tring to get the hang of this, if you could what is "idle bins"

Thank you for All the input I'm hoping to try it today

Thanks again.

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

AdministratorCODE4Nov-09-10 07:18 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#5052, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 10

When looking at your VE table, the area where your vacuum and RPM meet is your current BIN. Idle bins are where it sits when at idle. Adjusting the number up or done affects the pulse width of the fuel injectors, and therefore making the mixture richer or leaner.

If you have not already, read:

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Neon.htm

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/index.html

---

2012 2500HD LML

itsaslow95Nov-09-10 07:30 AM
139 posts,
#5053, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by CODE4
When looking at your VE table, the area where your vacuum and RPM meet is your current BIN. Idle bins are where it sits when at idle. Adjusting the number up or done affects the pulse width of the fuel injectors, and therefore making the mixture richer or leaner. If you have not already, read: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/ http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Neon.htm http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/index.html

Thank you that makes a little more sense. I will have it infront of me when I get home and should be able to get it. I have read them, and many articles before but i can't really comprehend all of it without someone to explain certain parts more in depth. I'm
Sorry haha. I'm Trying though.

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

itsaslow95Nov-09-10 05:26 PM
139 posts,
#5054, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 12

Alright Terry and Dave, thank you thus far again for your assistance. im sitting infront of the labtop and i am puzzled. here are the screen shots of my AFR,Spark,and VE tables. it says fuel load %. is that a form of manifold pressure or are my settings incorrect?

sorry guys

thanks.

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-09-10 05:36 PM
8331 posts,
#5055, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 13

Dont focuson the fact that its called fuel load %. its an abstract number that your using.

First off take your timing table and change the RPM figures. the first three should be 700 - 1000 (or 1100) - 1500 - 2000 - 3000.

100 18 15 18

88 18 15 18

76 18 15 18

See how I made the 1100 range a valley? These will be your idle bins in the timing map. Eventually with enough tuning you will limit them to only 4 bins.

Terry

itsaslow95Nov-09-10 05:55 PM
139 posts,
#5056, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
First off take your timing table and change the RPM figures. the first three should be 700 - 1000 (or 1100) - 1500 - 2000 - 3000.

I think I get this, by valley you mean you have 1100rpm specifically pointed out where as everything else is a generalization because it falls between say 2000-3000 for example.

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
100 18 15 18
88 18 15 18
76 18 15 18
See how I made the 1100 range a valley? These will be your idle bins in the timing map. Eventually with enough tuning you will limit them to only 4 bins.

I'm confused here, what do these numbers (and their pattern)represent?

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-11-10 05:20 PM
8331 posts,
#5057, "RE: Megasquirt 2 idle issue 3k"
In response to Reply # 15

Your going to need to go back and read the manual explaining the maps and what they represent and how you use them.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5040 Previous topic | Next topic