Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4842
View in linear mode

Subject: "Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU" Previous topic | Next topic
Slo2gApr-06-10 08:22 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4842, "Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"

I think my injectors are the cause, only reason really is because the last time I used these injectors I couldn't get the MSnS to work(Hi-res code with peak and hold board) and this time it was running great on stock injectors and then swapped in the 1000cc injectors and bam, my ecu fucked up. I have a few pictures of it but I have the MS1 v2.2 and U6 is what fucked up.

I orderd a new U6 and hopefully the board traces aren't fucked and I can get it back going....meh.....its always something..(N)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-06-10 08:51 PM, #1
RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU, Slo2g, Apr-06-10 10:54 PM, #2
      RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU, Slo2g, Apr-10-10 03:44 PM, #3
           RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU, mitsu95023, Apr-10-10 08:29 PM, #4
                RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU, VelocitaPaola, Apr-11-10 12:22 AM, #5
                     RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU, mitsu95023, Apr-11-10 08:11 AM, #6
                          RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU, Slo2g, Apr-11-10 09:31 AM, #7
                               RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU, Slo2g, Apr-11-10 09:56 AM, #8
                                    RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU, Slo2g, Apr-11-10 12:57 PM, #9
                                         RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU, 420agreenvilleSC, Apr-11-10 02:26 PM, #10
                                              RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU, Slo2g, Apr-11-10 05:41 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU, VelocitaPaola, Apr-11-10 08:14 PM, #12

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-06-10 08:51 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4843, "RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"
In response to Reply # 0

I am not so sure about the injectors. Your Comm port moves around a bit when it shouldnt. Not sure if you have it in a tight place or its been yanked on once or twice.

I would also check your comm cable for internal shorts as well.

if the injector was the problem then you would see damaged fets that are mounted to the case or an issue with the flyback board. I have seen shorted injectors cause the flyback to fail altogether and the end result is an injector circuit stuck wide open.

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Slo2gApr-06-10 10:54 PM
1074 posts,
#4844, "RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, after talking with you it doesn't make any since that the injector would cause this but its just odd. Buy like said earier the MAX232 and DB9 to PCB is on the way. Hope to have them here within a few days and going to get it back together. I'm still thinking about changing injectors though to go with a better injector like maybe the Custom 1050 FIC or something. Pics to come when parts get here.

Slo2gApr-10-10 03:44 PM
1074 posts,
#4845, "RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"
In response to Reply # 2

Well I go the stuff desolderd today and got a better look at the actual traces on the board and I have a bad one. One is broken and one is is raised and starting to break but its still intact. So it looks like I'm going to be ordering a new board. Let me know if you guys have any other ideas.

mitsu95023Apr-10-10 08:29 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2009
36 posts,
#4846, "RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Slo2g
Well I go the stuff desolderd today and got a better look at the actual traces on the board and I have a bad one. One is broken and one is is raised and starting to break but its still intact. So it looks like I'm going to be ordering a new board. Let me know if you guys have any other ideas.

Just an fyi there are kits you can buy to repair the etching on pc boards. i have used them numerous times @ work. just my .02

'95 rs turbo project
'97 gs parts car
'01 Audi s4 DD
'80 porsche 911 993 widebody, 3.6ltr

VelocitaPaolaApr-11-10 12:22 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#4847, "RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"
In response to Reply # 4

You could also bypass the damaged traces with short lengths of jumper wire. It may not be the most elegant solution, but it's functional.

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

mitsu95023Apr-11-10 08:11 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2009
36 posts,
#4848, "RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
You could also bypass the damaged traces with short lengths of jumper wire. It may not be the most elegant solution, but it's functional.

a much easier method, than a trace repair kit

'95 rs turbo project
'97 gs parts car
'01 Audi s4 DD
'80 porsche 911 993 widebody, 3.6ltr

Slo2gApr-11-10 09:31 AM
1074 posts,
#4849, "RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"
In response to Reply # 6

True, I didn't think of that. With that being said does anyone have a schematic or a better print out of where all the U6 pins go. The board is a little dark and I can't see exactly where they go to, I can search a little later but I'm at work right now. Thanks guys!

Slo2gApr-11-10 09:56 AM
1074 posts,
#4850, "RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"
In response to Reply # 7

Found it for those looking for it its under

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html

and 2.2 PCB PDF layout.

Slo2gApr-11-10 12:57 PM
1074 posts,
#4851, "RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"
In response to Reply # 8

Here is the board:

420agreenvilleSCApr-11-10 02:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#4852, "RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"
In response to Reply # 9

yikes

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Slo2gApr-11-10 05:41 PM
1074 posts,
#4853, "RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"
In response to Reply # 10

Got the new MAX232 in and solderd in some jumper wires to "bypass" the burnt spot. The unit will power on now but all 3 led's come on when its powerd and when I try to connect to it I can't find an open comm port I tried burning new firmware to it and I can get it to react to com port 3 and 5 but on 3 I get the got"!!" failed, and on 5 I get the got " failed aswell, if anyone can help me out let me know but as it stands right now I'm just going to order a new board and components when next paycheck comes. Thanks guys.

VelocitaPaolaApr-11-10 08:14 PM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#4854, "RE: Well, I have bad luck and a bad MSnS ECU"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Slo2g
Got the new MAX232 in and solderd in some jumper wires to "bypass" the burnt spot. The unit will power on now but all 3 led's come on when its powerd and when I try to connect to it I can't find an open comm port I tried burning new firmware to it and I can get it to react to com port 3 and 5 but on 3 I get the got"!!" failed, and on 5 I get the got " failed aswell, if anyone can help me out let me know but as it stands right now I'm just going to order a new board and components when next paycheck comes. Thanks guys.

The v2.2 board is only a two sided PCB, so while I'm sure yours can be repaired, I would recommend looking into a v3.0 board for the future. The v3.0 boards offer far more protection against little disasters like these from happening.

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4842 Previous topic | Next topic