Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4774
View in linear mode

Subject: "What tuning program for MS?" Previous topic | Next topic
740 turbo brickFeb-17-10 11:59 AM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4774, "What tuning program for MS?"

I have my MS kit on the way, what tuning program do you guys recommend? I already have Megatune on my laptop, but Ive also heard of tunerstudios and a few others. Whats the most user friendly?

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: What tuning program for MS?, VelocitaPaola, Feb-17-10 01:51 PM, #1
RE: What tuning program for MS?, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-18-10 11:11 AM, #2
      RE: What tuning program for MS?, VelocitaPaola, Feb-18-10 12:16 PM, #3
           RE: What tuning program for MS?, 740 turbo brick, Feb-18-10 12:39 PM, #4
                RE: What tuning program for MS?, VelocitaPaola, Feb-18-10 03:57 PM, #5
                     RE: What tuning program for MS?, 740 turbo brick, Feb-18-10 11:11 PM, #6
                          RE: What tuning program for MS?, justins71, Mar-03-10 12:41 PM, #7
                               RE: What tuning program for MS?, Full_Race, Mar-05-10 06:22 PM, #8
                                    RE: What tuning program for MS?, SymTech Labs, Mar-05-10 07:54 PM, #9
                                         RE: What tuning program for MS?, Full_Race, Mar-06-10 09:28 AM, #10
                                              RE: What tuning program for MS?, SymTech Labs, Mar-08-10 04:56 PM, #11
                                                   RE: What tuning program for MS?, zrb16, May-05-10 05:05 PM, #12
                                                        RE: What tuning program for MS?, SymTech Labs, May-06-10 03:01 AM, #13

VelocitaPaolaFeb-17-10 01:51 PM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4775, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 0

TunerStudioMS is the new de facto standard for tuning Megasquirt ECU's. MegaTune is great for MS-I, but TunerStudio also supports MS-I and has a more features. MegaTune is not capable of handling some of the features in the latest MS-II firmware versions (mainly the 3.x alpha code).

Most other tuning suites for Megasquirt are deprecated; such as MegaTunix, which was originally MegaTune's counterpart for Linux. TunerStudio uses the Java virtual machine, so it's cross-platform.

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Feb-18-10 11:11 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#4776, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
TunerStudioMS is the new de facto standard for tuning Megasquirt ECU's.

Really? Wow, shows what happens when I do not stay current on the MS forums. I will have to check it out.

---

2012 2500HD LML

VelocitaPaolaFeb-18-10 12:16 PM
626 posts,
#4777, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by VelocitaPaola TunerStudioMS is the new de facto standard for tuning Megasquirt ECU's.
Really? Wow, shows what happens when I do not stay current on the MS forums. I will have to check it out.

You're fine if you're using MS-I or MS-II with MS2/Extra 2.1.0 or older. You shouldn't encounter any problems using MegaTune in those cases, but TunerStudioMS does offer a lot more features.

-Paul

740 turbo brickFeb-18-10 12:39 PM
831 posts,
#4778, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 3

Do you know what version will come with my ECU? I assume the most recent? I have both tuner studios and megatune on my laptop now. I must admit I like the gauge layout of megatune more, but I guess Ill see when I get the ECU wired in.

Also, will I have to install new intake and coolant temp sensors or can I just use the stock ones since I will be removing the stock ECU completely?

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

VelocitaPaolaFeb-18-10 03:57 PM
626 posts,
#4779, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 4
Feb-18-10 03:57 PM by VelocitaPaola

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Do you know what version will come with my ECU? I assume the most recent? I have both tuner studios and megatune on my laptop now. I must admit I like the gauge layout of megatune more, but I guess Ill see when I get the ECU wired in. Also, will I have to install new intake and coolant temp sensors or can I just use the stock ones since I will be removing the stock ECU completely?

I'm not sure where you got your ECU from, but MS2/Extra 2.1.0d is the latest stable release of the MS2/Extra firmware.

The gauge layout in TunerStudioMS is completely customizable. Take some time to experiment with it; you can make it look just like MegaTune.

You won't have to install new sensors if you're removing the stock PCM. MS-II ECU's can read the stock sensor directly, without modification.

-Paul

740 turbo brickFeb-18-10 11:11 PM
831 posts,
#4780, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
Originally posted by 740 turbo brick Do you know what version will come with my ECU? I assume the most recent? I have both tuner studios and megatune on my laptop now. I must admit I like the gauge layout of megatune more, but I guess Ill see when I get the ECU wired in. Also, will I have to install new intake and coolant temp sensors or can I just use the stock ones since I will be removing the stock ECU completely?
I'm not sure where you got your ECU from, but MS2/Extra 2.1.0d is the latest stable release of the MS2/Extra firmware. The gauge layout in TunerStudioMS is completely customizable. Take some time to experiment with it; you can make it look just like MegaTune. You won't have to install new sensors if you're removing the stock PCM. MS-II ECU's can read the stock sensor directly, without modification.

I ordered it from Symtech labs, of course I ordered it on the 14th with the stepper motor control option.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

justins71Mar-03-10 12:41 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
#4782, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 6

I know I'm a bit late, but you should've held off a couple months for MS3... gonna be the shit! As far as tuning programs, MT will not work with MS3 (for future reference), and the new TS is awesome with the VE Live with Lambda delay. Also has a 'Lite' mode that uses less resources, as TS did seem to drag my laptop battery down 400,000,000 times faster than MT. It's Java based, nice to use, it's my new go-to.

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

Full_RaceMar-05-10 06:22 PM
Member since Feb 28th 2010
13 posts,
#4787, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by justins71
I know I'm a bit late, but you should've held off a couple months for MS3... gonna be the shit! As far as tuning programs, MT will not work with MS3 (for future reference), and the new TS is awesome with the VE Live with Lambda delay. Also has a 'Lite' mode that uses less resources, as TS did seem to drag my laptop battery down 400,000,000 times faster than MT. It's Java based, nice to use, it's my new go-to.

Is symtech labs gonna be selling MS3

SymTech LabsMar-05-10 07:54 PM
Member since Jun 29th 2009
68 posts,
#4788, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by Full_RaceIs symtech labs gonna be selling MS3

Yes, we carry the full line of B&G hardware.

- http://www.symtechlabs.com -

2GNT's Source for MegaSquirt
systems, accessories & more!

MegaSquirt MSQ Repository

Full_RaceMar-06-10 09:28 AM
Member since Feb 28th 2010
13 posts,
#4789, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by SymTech Labs
Originally posted by Full_RaceIs symtech labs gonna be selling MS3
Yes, we carry the full line of B&G hardware.

Oh wow lol. So is ms3 what comes with your 420a ems kit sir?

SymTech LabsMar-08-10 04:56 PM
68 posts,
#4792, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Full_Race
Oh wow lol. So is ms3 what comes with your 420a ems kit sir?

No, MS-III is not available yet. The ECU's in our kits use MS-II processors on v3.0 boards. The MS2/Extra firmware actually supports many MS-III features using MS-II. The primary difference between the two systems is that MS-III will have most features built in, thus it will cost significantly more. You can pick and choose which features you want installed in an MS-II ECU.

zrb16May-05-10 05:05 PM
Member since Oct 11th 2008
15 posts,
#4878, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by SymTech Labs
Originally posted by Full_Race Oh wow lol. So is ms3 what comes with your 420a ems kit sir?
No, MS-III is not available yet. The ECU's in our kits use MS-II processors on v3.0 boards. The MS2/Extra firmware actually supports many MS-III features using MS-II. The primary difference between the two systems is that MS-III will have most features built in, thus it will cost significantly more. You can pick and choose which features you want installed in an MS-II ECU.

Sorry to bump, but is there any idea when the MS-III will be available, or how much it would be?

-Zach

'97 GS w/ Turbo

SymTech LabsMay-06-10 03:01 AM
68 posts,
#4879, "RE: What tuning program for MS?"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by zrb16
Originally posted by SymTech LabsNo, MS-III is not available yet. The ECU's in our kits use MS-II processors on v3.0 boards. The MS2/Extra firmware actually supports many MS-III features using MS-II. The primary difference between the two systems is that MS-III will have most features built in, thus it will cost significantly more. You can pick and choose which features you want installed in an MS-II ECU.
Sorry to bump, but is there any idea when the MS-III will be available, or how much it would be?

They were briefly available to early adopters last month, but more units will not be available for another few weeks or months. Without the MS3X expansion board, MS-III ECU's will cost roughly $150 more than our standard MS-II ECU's. The MS3X expansion board, the board that will really allow you to take advantage of the MS-III daughterboard's features, has yet to be released. Additionally, the MS3 code is not suitably stable for a general release.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4774 Previous topic | Next topic