Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4728
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tuning gremlins" Previous topic | Next topic
justins71Nov-24-09 12:24 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4728, "Tuning gremlins"

Okay, so I'm officially confused at this point. I'm asking for some help regarding tuning/engine theory, etc. First off, generally speaking about fuel/spark/afr's, if you retard the timing your afr's should go up therefore you can pull fuel, but should have a loss in power accordingly, right? More timing, more fuel, more power, but increased chance of knock. Providing i'm not missing something here, this is my problem:

Runnin MS2 with low-comp JE's, stock cams, with about 160psi cylinder compression. Tuning idle, I found that the stock ECU's timing values of ~5*-15* or so are probably more for emmissions, (retarding to keep EGT's high), as mine is happiest at like 30*. My ve's are mid 40's at this point. If i do change timing down to say 10*, it goes way lean and I need to bump up fuel to mid 50's. Same for low RPM cruising. If I pull 10* it goes lean, and I have to add fuel. I actually have been getting better power/economy by advancing the timing and REMOVING fuel. I haven't been able to get true dyno time in, and am a bit scared as far as theoretically determining values as the relationships are not like they should be. Retard timing, less burn time, richer afr's.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-24-09 11:52 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4733, "RE: Tuning gremlins"
In response to Reply # 0

In theory yes in real world no.

Advancing timing and retarding timing will not always affect your AFR's. Its true, your obviously seeing it as proof.

At idle my timing is about 17* and at cruising i am as high as 40* is some spots. Any timing over 35-36 really isnt makign any difference. The neon guys have tested to 54* and never noticed any difference in cruising ect.

Power tuning the timing map is something entirely different.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

justins71Nov-27-09 09:50 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
#4738, "RE: Tuning gremlins"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, I have cruising about 40couple* also. anything more didn't seem to do a whole lot, and made it buck on tip-in from off throttle. The main areas I'm dealing with are low rpm, part-throttle. I'm sure my accel enrichments aren't exact, but they are pretty close. Those don't matter in this case anyhow, as I'm doin fairly static loads (BIG hills lol) where I can keep it constant for half a minute or so. It's just frustrating!

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4728 Previous topic | Next topic