Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4634
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problem Starting" Previous topic | Next topic
Slo2gJul-31-09 05:27 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4634, "Problem Starting"

The problem I am having is getting the car started on the MSnS ecu. Its a MSnS 1 V2.2 Hi-Res using code 10g. The issue I think is that its not using the cranking table because when cranking the tach is saying its at 1500 rpm or around that area and since its not running its also at atmospheric pressure (97 on MS) so its DUMPING TONS of fuel and not letting me use the flood clear feature because its thinking that its running at 1500 rpms. The tach signal wire is tapped into the ecu at pin 31(98 ecu, blue/white) and the ground is on the neg. battery terminal(but the battery is relocated to the trunk) Any suggestions on keeping this "tach spike" from happening and getting the car running. I've run msns before but I didn't have this much of an issue getting it to start. Oh yeah, injectors are stock injectors. Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Problem Starting, VelocitaPaola, Aug-02-09 11:41 PM, #1
RE: Problem Starting, Slo2g, Aug-03-09 06:39 AM, #2
      RE: Problem Starting, VelocitaPaola, Aug-05-09 03:32 PM, #3
           RE: Problem Starting, Slo2g, Aug-06-09 10:32 AM, #4
                RE: Problem Starting, VelocitaPaola, Aug-06-09 12:29 PM, #5
                     RE: Problem Starting, Slo2g, Aug-06-09 05:25 PM, #6
                          RE: Problem Starting, Slo2g, Jan-17-10 11:51 AM, #7

VelocitaPaolaAug-02-09 11:41 PM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4636, "RE: Problem Starting"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you sure your tach. input settings are correct?

Either post your MSQ here for us to look at, or download someone else's to use as a starting point:

http://www.symtechlabs.com/support/msq_rep.php

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Slo2gAug-03-09 06:39 AM
1074 posts,
#4637, "RE: Problem Starting"
In response to Reply # 1

http://2gnt.com/documents/megasquirt200907301850.msq

I haven't gotten it started yet so I cant really say how good the ve or cranking table is but when I start the car on the stock ecu it does fine except for crankikng. After it starts I get a smooth and accurate rpm graph in MLV. I'm going to try changing some grounds and going from there I guess. :

VelocitaPaolaAug-05-09 03:32 PM
626 posts,
#4638, "RE: Problem Starting"
In response to Reply # 2

Your Megasquirt ECU is getting its tachometer signal from the wrong source. Since you're running fuel only, the ECU is looking for simple 50%DC square wave pulses representing ignition events. This signal is output from the stock ECU on pin 73, a white wire. The wire you're currently using is from the crankshaft position sensor; it carries a signal that Megasquirt doesn't know how to use without the proper 420A modifications and settings.

-Paul

Slo2gAug-06-09 10:32 AM
1074 posts,
#4639, "RE: Problem Starting"
In response to Reply # 3

Terry built my board with the internal igniters ready for me to use spark. So the board mods should be done to use this. If I need to switch while I'm only on fuel the I will and change it back later for spark. Thanks for the help paul.

VelocitaPaolaAug-06-09 12:29 PM
626 posts,
#4640, "RE: Problem Starting"
In response to Reply # 4

Okay, if you'll be utilizing the 420A input modifications, then you'll need to let Megasquirt know what signal to expect. Per your MSQ, it's currently expecting that simple 50%DC pulse I mentioned. It's actually getting a much more complex signal from the crankshaft angle sensor.

Under "Basic Settings" and then "Codebase and output function" you'll need to change "Neon/420A decoder" from "Off*^" to "Neon/420A."

-Paul

Slo2gAug-06-09 05:25 PM
1074 posts,
#4641, "RE: Problem Starting"
In response to Reply # 5

Paul you are the man, I new it was something simple, actually this is probably why I couldn't get it to hot start last time. Thanks a million.

Slo2gJan-17-10 11:51 AM
1074 posts,
#4762, "RE: Problem Starting"
In response to Reply # 6

Yes, I know this is an old post but just thought I would throw this out there...I never could get the MSnS Hi-Res 10g to start my car. Even after working out the issues with the crank signal, thanks again Paul, It would still only dump tons of fuel in, and MSnS was telling me it was in flood clear mode but it was still dumping tons of fuel so I gave up because I haven't driven the car for what it has been built for and have sent my ecu off to get the trusty old MS1 V2.2 put back on it and go from there. Thanks for the help guys but I just couldnt figure out what the problem was and was tired of looking.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4634 Previous topic | Next topic