Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4428
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coil pack, plug wires, plugs" Previous topic | Next topic
95eclipseSlowMar-26-09 11:55 AM
Member since Apr 21st 2007
271 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4428, "Coil pack, plug wires, plugs"

Which combination works best for turbo'd megasquirt applications? I need new plugs and i called around and was told that the ngk bkr7e plugs are discontinued. I want the best of most reliable spark. Megasquirt is controlling fuel and stock ecu is controlling spark. Thanks guys

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs, 420agreenvilleSC, Mar-26-09 12:10 PM, #1
RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs, 95eclipseSlow, Mar-26-09 12:42 PM, #2
      RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs, eclipse982nrRST, Mar-28-09 05:20 PM, #3
           RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs, 420agreenvilleSC, Mar-28-09 08:43 PM, #4
                RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs, 96TurboGS, Mar-28-09 09:22 PM, #5
                     RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs, VelocitaPaola, Mar-28-09 10:54 PM, #6
                          RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs, 95eclipseSlow, Mar-28-09 11:17 PM, #7
                          RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs, 96TurboGS, Mar-29-09 01:15 AM, #8
                               RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-19-09 07:48 AM, #9

420agreenvilleSCMar-26-09 12:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4429, "RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-26-09 12:10 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

bkr7e's have been replaced by a different part number. call NGK, ask them about it, then to make sure, call back, get a different CSR and ask the same question. If you get the same answer from both CSR's, there you go.

I don't know what it's been replaced with so post your findings here plz

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95eclipseSlowMar-26-09 12:42 PM
271 posts,
#4430, "RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs"
In response to Reply # 1

i was told it was replaced with ngk 6097. i still wanna know which coil pack and wires i should get though. i need a strong ignition that works well with megasquirt.

eclipse982nrRSTMar-28-09 05:20 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#4433, "RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs"
In response to Reply # 2

screamin deamon coil pack or msd with msd wires.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

420agreenvilleSCMar-28-09 08:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#4434, "RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs"
In response to Reply # 3

There was an interesting study done. I can't remember where I read it, I think turbo magazine, but out of 10 different sets of wires, one of which were nology hotwires which are expensive as shit. The nology's were the shittiest when comparing resistance and interferance. The #1? guess what. Accel's. lol imagine that. Cheap old accel's

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

96TurboGSMar-28-09 09:22 PM
Member since Dec 01st 2007
125 posts,
#4435, "RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-28-09 09:23 PM by 96TurboGS

There was a comparison done by modernperformance worth looking at....

http://www.modernperformance.com/spark-plug-wire-comparison-read-before-purchasing-wires-p-1685.html

Granatelli wires will be my next upgrade from the stock wires. Im sure you will notice a crisper idle with 2 ohm wires!!

-Rafiel

VelocitaPaolaMar-28-09 10:54 PM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#4436, "RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs"
In response to Reply # 5

Resistance shouldn't be the sole determining factor while choosing spark plug wires. The properties of electricity at high voltage and in short pulses differs vastly from that of low voltage continuous DC.

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

95eclipseSlowMar-28-09 11:17 PM
271 posts,
#4437, "RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs"
In response to Reply # 6

i think im going to go with the msd coil and the msd 8.5mm super conductor wires. i am also going to replace my crankshaft position sensor and my camshaft position sensor along with the connectors for each. I think im going to replace my connector for the coil too so everything is new as far as ignition and see if it fixes my 4000rpm problem ive always had. If it doesnt then i guess its the stock ecu.

96TurboGSMar-29-09 01:15 AM
Member since Dec 01st 2007
125 posts,
#4438, "RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
Resistance shouldn't be the sole determining factor while choosing spark plug wires. The properties of electricity at high voltage and in short pulses differs vastly from that of low voltage continuous DC.

True. One thing they didn’t mention would be the electrical interference each wire set gives off, along with line losses/how well the material last over a extended period of time...I did some research and had a change of mind, looks like it will be the MSD to go along with my MSD coil (witch seems to be constructed better). Good save Paul. My stock wires are fairly new, so I might hang onto them for a while as the rewards for an upgrade aren’t beneficial.

-Rafiel

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-19-09 07:48 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#4464, "RE: Coil pack, plug wires, plugs"
In response to Reply # 8
Apr-19-09 08:15 AM by Star Turbo Talon

Right off the NGK site.....

6097 REPLACED BY 4644

Plug heat range should be chosed based on the plug condition.....not because someone says so. Read the heat signs on the plugs and decide. You want the porcelain around the center cathod to be a slight tint of tan. if its black then the plug is too cold, if its white or bright white, its too hot of a heat range. Also look at the electrode, where the electrode changes color, you will see a line between the colors, you want this line to be closer to the bend if not right in the middle of it. The electrode will give you kind of a Fine tuning heat range where the cathode porcelain will give you a broader range or too hot or too cold ect. Those two things will help you choose the heat range you want. If your interested in learnig how to tune by your spark plugs....do a search or send me a PM. I will hook you up with a few links. Remember, wideband tuning was not used years ago.

I ran stock heat range at 10psi on mine and it was proper cylinder temps. By the time I got to 22psi I had to drop 2 ranges colder.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4428 Previous topic | Next topic