Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4212
View in linear mode

Subject: "sfmu fuel tuning help" Previous topic | Next topic
siueclipseJul-25-03 03:05 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2002
3504 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4212, "sfmu fuel tuning help"

hey all. i just dynoed at 264 but i was getting too much fuel. i talked to hahn and they said with my setup i should be running 12's in the quarter.

they say the 310cc injectors should be able to take us into 350+whp. im not sure about this. hahn's tech support says that at 15psi of boost, i should be around 90psi on the fuel with the 310s. of course im smacking way about 100. anyway..

im about to go outside and play with the boost valve on the sfmu, i was wondering if anyone with about the same setup as mine, knows how many times they unscrewed the boost valve till they obtained about 90psi. i was out 9 turns and was still over 100.. so i think im going to go for about 14 turns.. see what happens.

any advice for tuning this bitch without the use of a dyno?

James

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: sfmu fuel tuning help, siueclipse, Jul-25-03 04:12 PM, #1
RE: sfmu fuel tuning help, davo345, Jul-25-03 07:19 PM, #2
      RE: sfmu fuel tuning help, TeamXtremeRS, Jul-26-03 06:07 PM, #3
           RE: sfmu fuel tuning help, siueclipse, Jul-26-03 06:12 PM, #4
                RE: sfmu fuel tuning help, DSMRoadster, Jul-27-03 05:22 AM, #5
                     RE: SFMU, New and Learning quickly, BlueMach5, Oct-17-03 10:46 AM, #6

siueclipseJul-25-03 04:12 PM
3504 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4213, "RE: sfmu fuel tuning help"
In response to Reply # 0

ok.. well.. i started out with 37psi base pressure, which is 13 turns out on the sfmu boost valve, my fuel pressure at 12 pounds of boost was way over 100 and it was sputtering.

2nd run, i dropped the base pressure down to 22psi of fuel and turned the boost valve out to 15 turns. at 12lbs of boost i was still smacking 100psi very quickly. it was sputtering.

3rd run, i turned the boost down to 10lbs and left the fuel the same. i smacked 100psi of fuel, but then it backed down to about 95psi of fuel and ran good. but it still did sputter some when first going.

when i checked my 6lbs of boost setting it was doing 65psi of fuel pressure, egts were perfect and the can ran great, no sputtering.

does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do here? i have a feeling the 12:1 disc is in the sfmu. does the 8:1 make you run more lean? i think thats where i need to head.

thanx for the help.
James

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

davo345Jul-25-03 07:19 PM
Member since Jul 15th 2003
510 posts,
#4214, "RE: sfmu fuel tuning help"
In response to Reply # 1

yeah from what i read about the 12:1 compressor with larger injectors is it makes you run much richer than needed. if you get the 8:1 disk it will make you run leaner. this is what i will be doing in the future as well .

bobin' and weavin' in traffic. No other place i'd rather be .

^^^^^EVERYTHING HAS TO GO.

TeamXtremeRSJul-26-03 06:07 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#4215, "RE: sfmu fuel tuning help"
In response to Reply # 2
Jul-26-03 06:12 PM by XtremeRS

Hahn seems to be wrong IMO. I run a solid 13 psi, with the 310's. My fuel pressure is over 100 psi, and i get decent A/F numbers and EGT's. My fuel pressure gauge only goes to 100, but the needle gets pegged when i hit 13 psi. I hate tuning to fuel pressure anyway. I look for A/F ratios, and EGT's mostly. Dont be concerned with what pressure its at. Be concerned with your EGT's and A/F numbers. IMO, 15 psi is too much for these injects. YOu can do it, but its REALLY pushing them. If you run some race gas, then 15 psi would be fine. Stay at 13 psi IMO. I'm hitting around 230 WHP @ 13 psi, and that seems to be very close to the limit of the 310's. Its just safer that way, to not beat the shit out of the injects with 120 psi of fuel pressure.. Dont you have the S20G turbo also?? If thats the case, then you shouldnt run much more than 11 or 12 psi on the 310's...What do your EGT's look like? With the proper amount of fuel, they should not go above 1525 really.. I use the largest disk in the SFMU, about one to two turns out on the bleed valve, and the long, silver spring in the SFMU. I run about 21-22 psi of fuel at full idle, and at 13 psi, its prob around 110 psi of fuel.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

siueclipseJul-26-03 06:12 PM
3504 posts,
#4216, "RE: sfmu fuel tuning help"
In response to Reply # 3

ok, that makes sense.

i still can't seem to tune the fuel. when i was on the dyno, i ran 13lbs of boost at 95psi of fuel pressure and hit 250whp. when i drove the car on the street, suddenly i was getting way too much fuel.

i think i need a datalogger and some larger injectors.

DSMRoadsterJul-27-03 05:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#4217, "RE: sfmu fuel tuning help"
In response to Reply # 4

I'm not getting enough under boost. Am I missing a part?

BlueMach5Oct-17-03 10:46 AM
Member since Jul 14th 2002
115 posts,
#4218, "RE: SFMU, New and Learning quickly"
In response to Reply # 5

Hi peeps,
Im pretty new to the whole engine management. I have been reading as much as I can. Im NA at the moment and in a couple of weeks I will be going turbo. I have just recently recieve my SFMU, and I wanted to know what It can do NA for me. Is it of great use NA? (if thats a correct question?) I also have my Walbro IFP. With the installation and tuning of the SFMU, on the new pump, will I achieve any sort of power gain running with stock injectors? I do not have a fuel pressure gauge that is next on my list of "Purchases"

There is a thread that I would like to "Cross-link" about Fuel/Boost curves. If I run no boost, how does my Sfmu know when to open up and let more fuel in?
How much PSI can the stock Jectors run without destroying them?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4212 Previous topic | Next topic