Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4185
View in linear mode

Subject: "wideband tuning questions" Previous topic | Next topic
jamesmanSep-24-03 11:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4185, "wideband tuning questions"

Hey I was wondering some things regarding wideband tuning. Why would they put a probe into your exhaust pipe downstream from the cat? this seems like it would be beside the point to measure o2 content after the cat? Also, if I was to install a UEGO, why do people say that the sensor will burn out quick, the bosch sensor was used on lean burn civics in canada, and I couldn't see them putting a sensor that will die like at 10000 miles.
Also, when using the downstream method, how accurate is that, it doesent seem like it would be that accurate unless you are running w/o a cat.

lates
James

Rest In Peace Heidi Doggy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: wideband tuning questions, TeamXtremeRS, Sep-24-03 04:23 PM, #1
RE: wideband tuning questions, jamesman, Sep-25-03 09:08 AM, #2
      RE: wideband tuning questions, ez, Sep-25-03 12:42 PM, #3
           RE: wideband tuning questions, TeamXtremeRS, Sep-25-03 12:45 PM, #4
                RE: wideband tuning questions, jamesman, Sep-26-03 06:18 AM, #5
                     RE: wideband tuning questions, mike_d, Sep-26-03 06:57 AM, #6
                          RE: wideband tuning questions, DarKReaLity, Sep-26-03 07:45 AM, #7

TeamXtremeRSSep-24-03 04:23 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4186, "RE: wideband tuning questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Its always best to use the wideband o2 that will go in place of your upstream o2, or you can weld on another o2 bung to your downpipe, and then just keep it plugged with the proper bolt, unitl its dyno time, then the dyno guys can just screw in their wb o2. The tail pipe wideband is not *quite* as accurate, but its pretty darn close. Not sure if the cat will effect readings.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jamesmanSep-25-03 09:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#4187, "RE: wideband tuning questions"
In response to Reply # 1

I plan on getting the AEM UEGO and outputting the numbers to my greddy profec e-01 screen. So I would have a wideband o2 sensor in the exhaust stream all the time. I talked to AEM and they said that this would be okay and that the sensors should be good for at least 50000 miles. If this is the case then I don't see why people would say that wideband sensors go out fast?

lates
James

ezSep-25-03 12:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#4188, "RE: wideband tuning questions"
In response to Reply # 2

yea, what xtremers says. the o2 sensor should be placed somewhere inbetween the turbo and the cat. the cat would affect the readings somewhat, b/c it would change the partial pressure of the individual gasses the sensor is measuring. that's the reason why you can use an o2 sensor to determine if your cat is working.

I think that the wideband's lifespan is one of those things that's really dependant on how you treat it. I think it was the NTK sensor where they said you should always have the temp at the sensor below 1560 F, and never run the car w/o power to the sensor, b/c carbon will deposit on a cold sensor, limiting it's life.

50000 miles still seems kind of optimistic though. I've heard around 30K. comments?

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

TeamXtremeRSSep-25-03 12:45 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#4189, "RE: wideband tuning questions"
In response to Reply # 3

also, I know using leaded race gas can hurt the lifespan of a normal o2, so possibly the same will apply to a wideband...

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

jamesmanSep-26-03 06:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#4190, "RE: wideband tuning questions"
In response to Reply # 4

what i plan on doing is welding the bung in the downpipe section that directly comes off the turbo in the hrc kit and installing and leaving the wideband sensor there. I really do not want to take it out and cap it. I just want it to stay there.

lates
semaJ

mike_dSep-26-03 06:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
718 posts,
#4191, "RE: wideband tuning questions"
In response to Reply # 5

Anyone try the DIY wide band? I have a spare sensor from my civic but I dont know a whole lot about electronics. Also my civic has 300,000 kms on it and the O2 seems to be fine but, I have only had the car for a year so I dont know when or if it was ever replaced.

95 Talon ESi-T

DarKReaLitySep-26-03 07:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
934 posts,
#4192, "RE: wideband tuning questions"
In response to Reply # 6

hey fellas check out this site on this new wideband O2, it's said to be $540. i might buy this.

http://www.efisystems.com/af_monitors_wide.html

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4185 Previous topic | Next topic