Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #414
View in linear mode

Subject: "Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire" Previous topic | Next topic
Keith2172Feb-28-05 07:00 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#414, "Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"

Will leaving the white/red fuel pump wire from the ECU disconnected cause a CEL. It's only on when the engine's running and won't save so I can't check it with my scantool. If I attached a relay to it and ran that through a resistor to ground would that work in removing the CEL? Anyone else with this problem or do we keep CEL's like a badge of honor?

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, HiOnPSI, Feb-28-05 08:41 AM, #1
RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, MrSlick, Feb-28-05 09:11 AM, #2
RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, Keith2172, Feb-28-05 12:55 PM, #3
      RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-28-05 01:12 PM, #4
           RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, MrSlick, Feb-28-05 03:21 PM, #5
                RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, Keith2172, Mar-01-05 04:59 AM, #6
                RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, TeamXtremeRS, Mar-05-05 07:43 AM, #8
                RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, Teamner947, Mar-06-05 04:14 PM, #11
                RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, baxsom, Mar-05-05 03:18 AM, #7
                     RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, TeamXtremeRS, Mar-05-05 07:44 AM, #9
                          RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, MrSlick, Mar-05-05 08:23 AM, #10
                               RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, ForceFed, Mar-09-05 12:40 AM, #12
                                    RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire, Teamdougie2, Mar-09-05 04:59 AM, #13

HiOnPSIFeb-28-05 08:41 AM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#415, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 0

I keep my CEL light bulb laying in my center console like a trophy wife.
damn, all this stuff and you don't have a CEL?
*shows light*
bwah-hahahahaha.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS
1998 Dodge Dakota Sport
12.671 @ 111.660 1.586 60' 5/28/04

www.haiokuracing.com

shaun> i'm sayin', bro!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MrSlickFeb-28-05 09:11 AM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
1120 posts,
#416, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Keith2172
Will leaving the white/red fuel pump wire from the ECU disconnected cause a CEL. It's only on when the engine's running and won't save so I can't check it with my scantool. If I attached a relay to it and ran that through a resistor to ground would that work in removing the CEL? Anyone else with this problem or do we keep CEL's like a badge of honor?

If you want you can leave the fuel pump under the control of the stock pcm, this will have no ill effects. Just makes it harder to troubleshoot and test the MS.

Lee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

http://www.ms-custom.com

Keith2172Feb-28-05 12:55 PM
1281 posts,
#419, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 2

But for sure leaving it disconnected like this will cause a CEL? Thanks for input, I'm considering hooking it to a resistor then to ground, try to trick it, I just don't know if that will hurt the PCM or something. I'd rather have the MegaSquirt control the fuel pump, I paid for a fuel management computer so I might as well make it manage the fuel

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-28-05 01:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#420, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 3

You're going to end up with CEL's regardless. 1 for each injector, 1 for the injector circuit. Ignore it.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

MrSlickFeb-28-05 03:21 PM
1120 posts,
#422, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by DarkOne
You're going to end up with CEL's regardless. 1 for each injector, 1 for the injector circuit. Ignore it.

True unless you hook up resistors or injectors to the stock pcm.
You'll get CEL for ignition coils too.

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

Keith2172Mar-01-05 04:59 AM
1281 posts,
#429, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 5
Mar-01-05 04:59 AM by Keith2172

I have no CEL in regard to the injectors, Im running big ass resistors I'll try to take a picture of what I've done with the resistor pack I made. Would running the fuel pump wire to ground hurt the PCM? What exaclty does the White/red wire do, activate a relay or power the pump directly (the latter seems unlikely to me)? If I can trick the comp on that I'll be CELless, YaY!

TeamXtremeRSMar-05-05 07:43 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#438, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Keith2172
I have no CEL in regard to the injectors, Im running big ass resistors I'll try to take a picture of what I've done with the resistor pack I made. Would running the fuel pump wire to ground hurt the PCM? What exaclty does the White/red wire do, activate a relay or power the pump directly (the latter seems unlikely to me)? If I can trick the comp on that I'll be CELless, YaY!

The red/white wire gets grounded from the ECU to switch on the fuel pump relay. If you want the MS to turn the relay on, just cut the wire at the relay or ECU, and cap the ECU side of the wire off. DO NOT ground the ECU side of the red/white. I'm probably just going to leave that alone, and let the ECU switch on the pump..just one less wire to hook up I guess..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Teamner947Mar-06-05 04:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#441, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 6
Mar-06-05 04:20 PM by ner947

I left my stock injectors hooked up through the stock harness, they're tucked away in the engine bay. Also, I have one of those coil pack loads that goes with my DIS-2, so if I leave that hooked up and have the MS do ignition, the ECU won't know the difference.

In theory, if the AFR is tuned properly and the spark table is good (no misfiring) the ECU would never notice and you would never get a check engine light.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

baxsomMar-05-05 03:18 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2004
758 posts,
#437, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 5
Mar-05-05 03:19 AM by baxsom

will you only get an ignition CEL if you are using the MS to run spark as well

1996 eclipse GS-T
1968 Ford Mustang
2004 Suzuki GSXR600
2006 Honda CBR1000RR
Decisions Decisions

TeamXtremeRSMar-05-05 07:44 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#439, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by baxsom
will you only get an ignition CEL if you are using the MS to run spark as well

You will prob get the CEL's for the coilpack at a minimum..since it will be disconnected from the car's ECU.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

MrSlickMar-05-05 08:23 AM
1120 posts,
#440, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by XtremeRS
Originally posted by baxsom will you only get an ignition CEL if you are using the MS to run spark as well
You will prob get the CEL's for the coilpack at a minimum..since it will be disconnected from the car's ECU.

Correct.
You'll get one CEL for each side of the coilpack, only if you run sparkj that is.

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

ForceFedMar-09-05 12:40 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2003
153 posts,
#462, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 10

I just like to throw this in here since every one is talking about CEL. My question is on the Smog test. By clearing the cell right before a smog test how long would it take for the ECU to figure out that something is missing like an EGR as an example?

Teamdougie2Mar-09-05 04:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#467, "RE: Megasquirt question re:fuel pump wire"
In response to Reply # 12

Up to 100 miles. You can't pass an OBD-II test during that time period though. They will tell you to come back when the ECU has performed all of it's tests.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #414 Previous topic | Next topic