Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #391
View in linear mode

Subject: "Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt" Previous topic | Next topic
jimmy169Feb-23-05 03:27 PM
Member since Mar 31st 2003
331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#391, "Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt"

Alright after much contemplating, and after JUST getting my car back (yeah I'm so excited that I'm just waiting to go outside and go crazy, damn I missed my baby! ), I have decided to sell the water injection kit I have and go with the megasquirt.

For those that don't know (if u do u can skip this) my car has just been rebuilt with the howell bottom end rebuilt kit with 8.6 compression, JE pistons, Eagle Rods. Also it has the portfueler in it right now with 415cc for secondary injectors and I talked to Mr. Slick and he said he could built a megasquirt to control the secondary injectors for me.

Now my question is, will the Star turbokit be ok to handle 20 or more psi (my goal is 300-320whp). Will the fuel pump handle it, the bov I'm iffy on since some told me it leaked at 15psi and some said it doesn't, so that I will find ouot for myself, but also will the fmic handle it, Etc...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bit and owned by boost bug!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt, Uberingram, Feb-23-05 03:28 PM, #1
RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt, DSMRoadster, Feb-23-05 10:11 PM, #2
RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt, jimmy169, Feb-24-05 07:34 AM, #3
      RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-24-05 08:33 AM, #4
           RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt, jimmy169, Feb-24-05 08:50 AM, #5
                RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt, Teametx, Feb-25-05 08:10 AM, #6
                     RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt, jimmy169, Feb-25-05 02:05 PM, #7
                          RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt, MrSlick, Feb-25-05 02:38 PM, #8
                               RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt, TeamXtremeRS, Feb-25-05 03:04 PM, #9

UberingramFeb-23-05 03:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#392, "RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 0

Everything should be fine if it's tuned correctly. Not sure about the pump though. Fuel calculations are on Corbin's site though if you need them...

http://www.geocities.com/vttalon/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DSMRoadsterFeb-23-05 10:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#393, "RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 0

stick to the portfueler jimbo. It's already installed and much easier for your current knowledge of how turbo system works right now. You should hit 20psi fine right now. Don't sell your coolingmist.

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

jimmy169Feb-24-05 07:34 AM
331 posts,
#394, "RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 2

With all the research I've done, I've heard too many horror stories. Seems 15psi is safe but after that it's real iffy.

I talked to VR and they are the ones who installed my portfueler, they said they could install this megasquirt for much cheaper, since it's more electronical which they say they are good at, they are also ganna hook me up with dyno time at a cheaper cost as well.

I guess what I am really curious about is if the star turbokit will hold up fine to 320whp, will the fmic heatsoak? Will the fuel pump handle it? etc etc

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-24-05 08:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#395, "RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 3

You'll make more than 320wHP on 20psi on the STAR kit's TO4E turbo, Jim. I made 302wHP on 15psi.

The PF is fine. Stick with it since you've got it.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

jimmy169Feb-24-05 08:50 AM
331 posts,
#396, "RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 4

Wow damn I was expecting around 260whp with 15psi. Damn dino u had some great results! lol. I'm still deciding but right now but I'm really headed towards the megasquirt after the research I've done, it seems like an amazing fuel system.

Basically I guess I'll be fully honest with the pricing. The shop I am going to said they can probably install this megasquirt for 150 bux, I'm assuming the total cost with installation will be around $500, and they said with this they will give me dyno time for just 75 bux an hour. I think that would be a great investment since I've gone this far. I would still have to do the dynotime anyway so I'm just figuring that $500 bux is a great deal for something like this, if it cost me a lot more I would just stick with the PF but I didn't expect it to all be this cheap (half a grand is not cheap but compared to the cost of rebuilt and all, it's not bad at all, and seems like the last peace to the puzzle).

TeametxFeb-25-05 08:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#397, "RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 5

The megasquirt is not even close to being plug and play. I ran 25 psi on a 25g turbo with the 8-injector no problem. It was even way too rich because the timing was a bit high so I had to keep the egt's down. $150 to install the megasquirt? Is that like two or three hours of labor? It's gonna take a lot longer than that. Taping in two sensors, you have to remove the thermostat housing and the upper intake to tap them, and then wireing all the sensors from the ecu to the ms. It would be a huge pain in the ass to properly tune both banks, you would be better off with one bank of large injectors.

jimmy169Feb-25-05 02:05 PM
331 posts,
#398, "RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 6

I was told to keep the stock ecu controlling my stock injectors and using the megasquirt for the secondary ones, would that work out well?

I'm real confused now since I've heard all these horror stories when ppl touch the 18psi mark. Dino I thought your motor went at 19psi? Would I really be safe to tune with just the portfueler softwear up to 18psi-20psi? I had a thread about this a while back in the turbo section and a lot of ppl said no.

MrSlickFeb-25-05 02:38 PM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
1120 posts,
#399, "RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 7

I think Jimmy doesn't have confidence in the PF, that's whys he's leaning towards the MS.

The MS could replace the PF in an 8 injetcor setup no problem. The PF still has drawbacks that would be enough for me not to trust one... especially cause I drive my car year round.

etx, Jimmy was thinking about having the Ms run the extra 4 injectors, not all 8...

Also, he's interested in the timing control that MS can offer.

The MS really doesn't have to be all that dificult to install. For starters using the relay board makes things more complicated in my opinion. With a good harness ready before hand its just a matter of splicing in some wires. And cutting a few others. Not really that hard. And you don't have to tap the thermostat housing and intake to do the instal. It works just fine if you use T's for the sensors. Mines been running like that now for about a year no problem...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

http://www.ms-custom.com

TeamXtremeRSFeb-25-05 03:04 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#400, "RE: Big decisions! Deciding on whether to go with megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by MrSlick
And you don't have to tap the thermostat housing and intake to do the instal. It works just fine if you use T's for the sensors. Mines been running like that now for about a year no problem...

Really...I'd really like to tap the IAT, but I was wondering if you could just use some NPT fittings and T off the coolant temps sensors..I was just thinking that you would need actual coolant flow past the sensor, instead of just "dead" coolant sitting inside a small fitting/piece of pipe..I suppose the heat transfer happnes fairly quick anyway.. I don't see how T'ing off the IAT would be as accurate though?

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #391 Previous topic | Next topic