Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3623
View in linear mode

Subject: "WB02 sensor location?" Previous topic | Next topic
JungyFeb-22-08 09:45 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2005
164 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3623, "WB02 sensor location?"

Okay so right now I have my o2 sensor for my zeitronix after my test pipe where the rear o2 sensor used to be. Is that too far downstream to get accurate readings?

96' eclipse gs, 2gb conversion
built bottom end, crane #16 cams, hx40 pro billet, MS1 v3 MSn'S-E, 3.55 trans, quaife lsd

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: WB02 sensor location?, mreigle, Feb-23-08 12:14 AM, #1
RE: WB02 sensor location?, TeamXtremeRS, Feb-23-08 06:03 AM, #2
      RE: WB02 sensor location?, Jungy, Feb-23-08 08:43 AM, #3
           RE: WB02 sensor location?, Jungy, Feb-28-08 05:15 PM, #4
                RE: WB02 sensor location?, TeamXtremeRS, Feb-29-08 06:05 AM, #5
                     RE: WB02 sensor location?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-06-08 05:02 AM, #6
                          RE: WB02 sensor location?, justins71, May-06-08 04:19 PM, #7
                               RE: WB02 sensor location?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, May-08-08 11:04 AM, #8
                                    RE: WB02 sensor location?, ez, May-08-08 01:38 PM, #9
                                         RE: WB02 sensor location?, justins71, May-08-08 04:04 PM, #10

mreigleFeb-23-08 12:14 AM
Member since Jun 21st 2006
426 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3624, "RE: WB02 sensor location?"
In response to Reply # 0

That is where mine is too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamXtremeRSFeb-23-08 06:03 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#3625, "RE: WB02 sensor location?"
In response to Reply # 1
Feb-23-08 06:04 AM by XtremeRS

After the test pipe is ok, it's where i originally had mine, but it may suffer from slower response at lower engine speeds. Not a big deal if you are not using the wideband to run the engine with a Megasquirt or other standalone..if you just want to read WOT AFR's, it's sufficient. For fastest readings, it's best to keep it within 3ft of the exhaust manifold. Stock front o2 location is a good choice, which is where i have my wideband(i replaced the stock one since i'm using the megasquirt). Most wideband manufactures recommend a minimum of 18" from a manifold or turbo outlet to keep it from seeing too much heat.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

JungyFeb-23-08 08:43 AM
164 posts,
#3626, "RE: WB02 sensor location?"
In response to Reply # 2

I have the WB output fed into my MS, but i'm not using ego correction at the moment, would it be better to put it in the single o2 sensor bung on my hrc 3" dp?

built bottom end, crane #16 cams, hx40 pro billet, MS1 v3 MSn'S-E, 3.55 trans, quaife lsd

JungyFeb-28-08 05:15 PM
164 posts,
#3631, "RE: WB02 sensor location?"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm guessing I should move it to the downpipe to get more accurate reading for tuning my cruising af/r's. Any input?

TeamXtremeRSFeb-29-08 06:05 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#3634, "RE: WB02 sensor location?"
In response to Reply # 4

If you are going to control closed loop fueling with the Megasquirt, i would really put the wideband in the downpipe, close to the stock o2location by the oil pan. It's not *imperative* that you do this, but it would be best to.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-06-08 05:02 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#3641, "RE: WB02 sensor location?"
In response to Reply # 5

My stocker and Wideband at appx 8" downstream of my turbo. I moved both closer since the recommendation from Techedge was 11-14" from the head.

justins71May-06-08 04:19 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
#3756, "RE: WB02 sensor location?"
In response to Reply # 6

I had some documents from AEM when I got their WB controller setup that for turbo installs they recommended some crazy 34" to keep it from overheating... That's around where I put it (around area behing RH half-shaft), but I think it's way too far back. MS seems to constantly play catch-up, makin it surge around idle, irregardless on using ms steps or ign pulse. I can tune a ms step to work great, but then all other RPM's are shot. Gonna try moving it to the original O2 location and see if that helps. I remember on my GN the damn O2 was close as hell to the turbo, like 2" on the DP... but it wasn't a heated O2, if that'd matter.

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-08-08 11:04 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#3761, "RE: WB02 sensor location?"
In response to Reply # 7

See thats why i dont run an AEM. the sensor you have is the same one I have but with a different plug. I never have issues with mine overheating or reading inaccurate.

ezMay-08-08 01:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#3762, "RE: WB02 sensor location?"
In response to Reply # 8

The AEM documentation also recommends that you tilt the tip of the sensor down a few degrees so that deposits don't form on it. So when you weld on a bung, it should be at least someplace where the downpipe is not vertically oriented. Food for thought.

Just philosophizing...-> It seems strange that moving the sensor that distance would make a noticable effect on MS monitoring. It would think that the high velocity of the exhaust gas would minimize the impact of such a small distance. Also, I wonder just how much EGT goes down after 36" of travel. Every recommendation just seems so arbitray - how can we know what is optimum with so many variables that come into play?

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

justins71May-08-08 04:04 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
#3764, "RE: WB02 sensor location?"
In response to Reply # 9

I know EGT goes down quite a bit, evident in the fact that my exhaust wrap burned off the silicone paint stuff but fades to the cheaper hi-temp black that i coated the last half (just about at the half-shaft). Terry, you said you're not running the AEM for the overheating reason, but use the same sensor? how's that work? Or is it something the AEM controller does that's crappy (besides constantly randomly changing output modes)?

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3623 Previous topic | Next topic