Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3470
View in linear mode

Subject: "Megasquirt Questions (MS1 v3.0 Spark and Fuel)" Previous topic | Next topic
zmaher001Oct-19-07 04:31 AM
Member since Aug 10th 2006
30 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3470, "Megasquirt Questions (MS1 v3.0 Spark and Fuel)"

i just got my MS hooked up to my 96 5spd 420a venge and had a couple little problems

1. My stock tach no longer works but the MS unit has a tach output function.....could i simply just splice the stock wire into the MS output or do i need an after market tach

2. The shop that is workin on it said my alt. is not charging the battery back up he thinks its not getting a signal....would this have anything to do with the MS unit or did maybe a wire just get cut in the MS hooking up stage

3. my coolant temp gauge is also not working can this be remedied as well....

hopefully you guys can answer these questions for me so i can enjoy my newly boosted venge soon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

djtrickeeOct-19-07 07:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3472, "RE: Megasquirt Questions (MS1 v3.0 Spark and Fuel)"
In response to Reply # 0

Did you install the MS or did some shop install it?

If a shop did it then who knows what they did. I would never, ever trust a random speed shop to hook up a MS. Too many variables. Did they drill and tap for the new MS CTS? did they install it in the stock CTS spot? or did they just tap into the stock sensor(which doesnt work btw)

As with the other questions, well same thing. Who knows what they did.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

zmaher001Oct-19-07 07:21 AM
Member since Aug 10th 2006
30 posts,
#3473, "RE: Megasquirt Questions (MS1 v3.0 Spark and Fuel)"
In response to Reply # 1
Oct-19-07 07:22 AM by zmaher001

a friend of mine installed the MS reusing stock sensors at the harness for the stock ECU he has delt with many types of standalones and it all seemed wired correctly according to the diagrams

now when it got to the speed shop he didnt touch anything with the wiring except the spark wires were wired for a v2.2 board instead of the 3.0 so thats all hge did as far as wiring goes...he has been in contact with RSautosports for the diagrams and such the car starts and idles but those are the 3 problems he relayed to me...

and when the my friend hooked up the MS unit he did drill and tap for the MS CTS

VelocitaPaolaOct-19-07 09:38 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#3474, "RE: Megasquirt Questions (MS1 v3.0 Spark and Fuel)"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by zmaher001
i just got my MS hooked up to my 96 5spd 420a venge and had a couple little problems 1. My stock tach no longer works but the MS unit has a tach output function.....could i simply just splice the stock wire into the MS output or do i need an after market tach 2. The shop that is workin on it said my alt. is not charging the battery back up he thinks its not getting a signal....would this have anything to do with the MS unit or did maybe a wire just get cut in the MS hooking up stage 3. my coolant temp gauge is also not working can this be remedied as well.... hopefully you guys can answer these questions for me so i can enjoy my newly boosted venge soon

If your stock tach no longer works, you can connect the tacho output from MS to the tach input on the gauge cluster. That's not a big deal, people do it all the time.

The biggest problem I see with your installation is that the people who did the install probably did not know how to make the stock ECU and MS interact. For instance, the stock ECU needs certain signals (i.e. crank angle and cam position) in order to function.

If the stock tachometer no longer works, that means they probably clipped the crank angle wire going to the stock ECU and connected it directly to MS, rather than tapping the wire. That's fine, but the ECU probably won't perform certain functions that you'd expect it to otherwise.

One of those functions is controlling the charging system. You probably need to pick up a Dodge Omni voltage regulator to regain charging system control. I think it cost me around $45 for one. There have been a few other threads with installation details and part numbers...

As for the coolant temperature gauge... the most probable cause is that the sensor at the thermostat housing was either disconnected or removed. Begin troubleshooting there.

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

justins71Nov-01-07 02:15 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
#3480, "RE: Megasquirt Questions (MS1 v3.0 Spark and Fuel)"
In response to Reply # 3

I agree - that they probably cut the Crank Pos Sensor for the MS - it can just be tapped since it's a pulse. You can't tap the MAT/CLT sensort as they rely on resistance, and a tap throws them all off whack. Having the Crank tapped will let your stock IAC work well, as long as your TPS is just tapped also, and your stock tach will work too.

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3470 Previous topic | Next topic