Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #322
View in linear mode

Subject: "aem engine management system" Previous topic | Next topic
jimmy169Feb-20-05 05:45 PM
Member since Mar 31st 2003
331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#322, "aem engine management system"

I was going through the howell automotive website to find info on the afx ecu for someone and I noticed that. I heard it was hard to get the aem standalone management system to work with our cars though, it cost a shitload but will it even work well with our cars? And is this how much it normally costs for other cars. I'm also curious how this would compare to the megasquirt.

http://www.howellautomotive.com/Howell/Store/catalog/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=142_38_299&products_id=2126

Bit and owned by boost bug!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: aem engine management system, Uberingram, Feb-20-05 05:57 PM, #1
RE: aem engine management system, jimmy169, Feb-20-05 06:44 PM, #2
      RE: aem engine management system, rgirard413, Feb-21-05 04:49 AM, #3
           RE: aem engine management system, Moderatormicyek, Feb-21-05 04:58 AM, #4
                RE: aem engine management system, Uberingram, Feb-21-05 10:10 AM, #5
                RE: aem engine management system, donnyb373, Feb-21-05 05:37 PM, #6
                     RE: aem engine management system, marius, Feb-22-05 11:08 PM, #7
                     RE: aem engine management system, MCubed45, Feb-23-05 06:57 AM, #8
                     RE: aem engine management system, Uberingram, Feb-23-05 10:34 AM, #9
                          RE: aem engine management system, SilverBullet20g, Feb-23-05 12:08 PM, #10
                               RE: aem engine management system, jimmy169, Feb-24-05 09:59 AM, #11
                                    RE: aem engine management system, grain, Feb-24-05 09:06 PM, #12
                                         RE: aem engine management system, jimmy169, Feb-25-05 04:57 PM, #13
                                              RE: aem engine management system, jimmy169, Feb-25-05 07:50 PM, #14
                                                   AEM EMS 1050U instructions and other info, SilverBullet20g, Mar-08-05 02:54 AM, #15
                RE: aem engine management system, corsagsbo, Mar-08-05 04:41 AM, #16

UberingramFeb-20-05 05:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#323, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 0

silverbullet20g got it installed by a certified AEM crew and he insures it was no picnic what so ever. PM him for details.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jimmy169Feb-20-05 06:44 PM
331 posts,
#324, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 1

Looks like I heard right

rgirard413Feb-21-05 04:49 AM
Member since Jun 27th 2002
425 posts,
#325, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 2

* Installs in minutes! *

98 Eclipse GSX
www.ridonkulous.com

ModeratormicyekFeb-21-05 04:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#326, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 3

get the megasquirt...no comparison as far as price goes at least...and many more people here have MS running.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

UberingramFeb-21-05 10:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#334, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by micyek
get the megasquirt...no comparison as far as price goes at least...and many more people here have MS running.

As far as a stand alone on a 2GNT, yes. I would have to agree. The AEM EMS is a powerful tool when in the right car but I wouldn't be installing it on a car it wasn't packaged for...personally.

donnyb373Feb-21-05 05:37 PM
Member since Apr 07th 2004
1122 posts,
#341, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 5

Dont they have that new "universal" stand alone now?????

mariusFeb-22-05 11:08 PM
Member since Jun 01st 2004
75 posts,
#350, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 6

Yes, many more people have the MS up and running and have all the help you could ever need to get one going yourself. That particular system appears to be for the 2GNT because it is the plug and play model, not the rewire everything yourself model. I don't know for sure if it is indeed what I think it is, but if it is, then yes it does install install in minutes. I know some people running the plug and play on Honduhs, and they said all they had to do was plug it in, turn the key on, and answer a few questions and then it was ready to go. It did need a little tweaking and whatnot, but the plug n play models are pretty much ready to go out of the box. Then again this is all hearsay, so take it as whatever you want.

New sled for a while: Gray Pearl 98 RS stock with shitty ass Eagle alloys.

MCubed45Feb-23-05 06:57 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#355, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 7

being that they don't have anywhere for you to specify what year your car is i would be very wary of ordering that. our cars have a different ECU harness for every single year. that's why the AFX is for 97 MTX ONLY. unless AEM went and made a harness for ever single year of the 2nd gen NT eclipse i kinda doubt that's for us. that's prolly the biggest reason why no one makes any plug 'n play ecu replacement for us (besides howell). it's just not profitable when you have to make a specific item for each year.

-marc

UberingramFeb-23-05 10:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#359, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by donnyb373
Dont they have that new "universal" stand alone now?????

When it comes to AEM and "universal" I would tend to think they would sacrifice some functionality for combatibility. In any case there really isn't any "universal" stand alone that is completely plug and play, such as the AEM EMS package deals for specific car makes. That being the case I would opt for building a MegaSquirt on a MUCH cheaper scale then some "universal" EMS.

SilverBullet20gFeb-23-05 12:08 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2004
558 posts,
#360, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 9

The wrong information on Howell's site should be taken down they have the box that is meant for the 4G63

AEM has made a universial box for sometime and it is on my car. It was labeled as the 1050 (Honda/Acura) box, and they also sell a pinout kit for it, so you don't have to go junkyard surfing for a wiring harness from a Honda...
AEM doesn't sell them to just any of it dealers or to the public due to the complexities of setting up a custom crank/cam pick up and having to deal with customer support and technical problems associated with the software. So they let the approved dealers take on the problems assoicated with the install and tuning. For us 420Aers it is the electromotive pickup kit for the Neon.

I won't make any more judgements on the AEM vs. MS due to the fact that this has been beaten to death and I don't have all of the technical knowledge about the tuning aspects until I get the required training for the software after the new manifold gets on and we start to tune this beast..

Everybody knows that the MS is a killer deal!!

(parting out 95 GS)

jimmy169Feb-24-05 09:59 AM
331 posts,
#370, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 10

Right now I'm def. headed towards the megasquirt and already talked to Mr. Slick about it. I wonder how good it will work with the portfueler (or 8 injectors since the electronics side of the portfueler will be replaced).

grainFeb-24-05 09:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#377, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 11

i dont understand why people would want to run the port fueler and have the ms control the secondary injectors.

jimmy169Feb-25-05 04:57 PM
331 posts,
#401, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 12

I honestly don't and wish I went with the megasquirt and not the portfueler the first time but to uninstall the portfueler and try and sell it (not even sure I'd get a buyer) and to get bigger injectors for probably 300-400 dollars, then buying the megasquirt, I would probably end up loosing money, and I still doubt I'd have a buyer for the portfueler, aspecially a local one.

jimmy169Feb-25-05 07:50 PM
331 posts,
#406, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 13

I don't mean to nock the portfueler...I've just kinda been brainwashed right now into believing that it won't hold up to 300 or more whp safely. I'm honestly not sure and thinking of just dyno tuning the portfueler and see what happens (the hell with it) but then another side of me is paranoid of something going wrong with the stories I've heard of ppl melting they're pistons on the dyno. Suieclipse and etx have had more than 300whp on the 8 injector setup, i'm contemplating just going for the dyno and seeing what happens...this is very frustrating, and i'm sure it's annoying to u guys as well to read this crap.

SilverBullet20gMar-08-05 02:54 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2004
558 posts,
#455, "AEM EMS 1050U instructions and other info"
In response to Reply # 14

A PDF version of the instructions and install. Please reference the 1050U for our car not the regular 1050 box:
http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/download.php?id=2055

A PDF of O2 feedback and tuning:
http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/download.php?id=491

An excellent thread on Boost Comp and how the EMS responds to it
http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=68757#68757

(parting out 95 GS)

corsagsboMar-08-05 04:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
390 posts,
#456, "RE: aem engine management system"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by micyek

That is at least for those who have received it. I've got a couple on order and haven't seen anything in the past 2 months. This is starting to worry me.

--------------------------------------
know me as santiago
boosted 420a and ej2o..(my 2liter v8 eaters)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #322 Previous topic | Next topic