Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #311
View in linear mode

Subject: "Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors" Previous topic | Next topic
version55Feb-08-05 06:38 PM
Member since Jun 24th 2004
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#311, "Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors"

I purchased an Accel DFI Gen. 6 unit about a year ago from someone that was parting out their car. I just barely got around to installing it and I have some questions. First of all I do not have the original installation instructions so I had to look up what all the individual wires are for using one of Accels online pdf files.

As far as my car goes it is a 420a powered Eclipse RS. The engine is built with JE pistons (8.8:1) and rings, eagle rods (which I now know will be my downfall), trimetal rod and main bearings. I also had the short block balanced and blueprinted and the crank turned and indexed. The head has been gasket matched and polished with Crane springs installed. I never got around to changing out the cams so they are still stock. I turbocharged it about a week ago and would like to use the Accel unit to run some 450cc injectors. Fuel pressure is controled with a BEGI multirole regulator backed by a Walbro 255 high pressure fuel pump.

Anyway my questions are these:

1) I read a post by DarkOne saying that the trigger can be taken from the only solid white wire going into the stock ECU. Is this all I have to do for the trigger? I know that the coil pack has two trigger wires on it from the ECU. Do I not need both signals?

2) For the coolant temp. sensor the DFI Gen. 6 unit is coded to use a Thermistor with a 5v signal. The stock coolant sensor in my 96 420a powered eclipse is already a thermistor with a 5v signal. So why can't I just use my stock sensor?

3) Since the Accel DFI only needs to read the signal output from the coolant temp., intake temp and tps sensors (I know I can't use the stock MAP sensor) why can't I just tap the signal wire to these sensors? Especialy since the stock ECU already supplies the 5v signal and the ground in the case of the TPS. If I don't need the 5v signal or the ground from the Accel DFI do I still have to use it?

Help with this would be appreciated. I have spent a few days trying to search for answers to these questions on the forum. All with the hope that I don't ask a redundant question.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors, Teamdougie2, Feb-08-05 07:17 PM, #1
RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors, fly1, Feb-09-05 01:49 AM, #2
      RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors, version55, Feb-09-05 02:44 AM, #3
           RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors, Moderator992gnt, Feb-09-05 07:05 AM, #4
                RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-09-05 07:10 AM, #5
                RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors, version55, Feb-09-05 08:37 AM, #6
                     RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors, fly1, Feb-09-05 04:48 PM, #7

Teamdougie2Feb-08-05 07:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#312, "RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors"
In response to Reply # 0
Feb-08-05 07:18 PM by dougie2

Originally posted by version55
First of all I do not have the original installation instructions so I had to look up what all the individual wires are for using one of Accels online pdf files.

I can fax the instructions to you if you need them.

the trigger can be taken from the only solid white wire going into the stock ECU. Is this all I have to do for the trigger?

That is correct.

I know that the coil pack has two trigger wires on it from the ECU. Do I not need both signals?

No.

For the coolant temp. sensor the DFI Gen. 6 unit is coded to use a Thermistor with a 5v signal. The stock coolant sensor in my 96 420a powered eclipse is already a thermistor with a 5v signal. So why can't I just use my stock sensor?

It has a different resistance curve. Keep in mind that you have to keep the stock sensors so the stock ECU can continute to control the ignition. You need to add GM sensors for IAT and CLT. You can tap into the TPS wires for that input.

You really need the instructions from HRC. Give me your fax number and I'll send them to you. If you don't have a fax I guess I could create a PDF and e-mail it to you.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fly1Feb-09-05 01:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1470 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#313, "RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors"
In response to Reply # 1

I still have HRC's Accel DFI install instructions. I can fax or email you a copy. What's your best email?

"Sometimes, a man has to do what a man has to do."

version55Feb-09-05 02:44 AM
4 posts,
#314, "RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors"
In response to Reply # 2

Thank you for the information. My email is moroni944@hotmail.com I probably should have just asked for the installation instructions in the first place. Either way I knew someone on the forum would have an answer.

Moderator992gntFeb-09-05 07:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#315, "RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors"
In response to Reply # 3

Piggybacking sensor wires to feed the DFI will result in bogus values being returned to both the ECU and the DFI due to fluctuating resistance values. The only one that works is the TPS. 450cc injectors are kind of small for a car needing/using the DFI. There are other cheaper, cleaner, and easier ways to tune if all you're doing is 450's. Most of us were/are running 625's with the DFI. Are you upgrading down the road?

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-09-05 07:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#316, "RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors"
In response to Reply # 4

Here's a good bit of reading for you, too...

http://www.2gnt.com/www/dino/EMIC.pdf

Explains CALMAP and a lot of the features of the Gen 6.

The coolant temp and air temp sensors are about $20 each at AutoZone. They're Wells SU109 and Wells SU107.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

version55Feb-09-05 08:37 AM
4 posts,
#317, "RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks Greg for explaining why piggypacking the the signal wires of the sensors will not work. It makes sense, should have thought of that. All I need now is a copy of the Accel DFI Gen. 6 installation instuctions. If anyone could email me a copy it would be appreciated. Also, I do plan to upgrade from the 450cc injectors soon. I would like to get the DFI up and running now if I can. That way I have some time to tinker with it before I install a larger injector. I need to go get a book and do some studying before then so I at least know somewhat what I am doing. Thanks Dino for the link to the EMIC pdf but I already have one and I have read it. It doesn't answer any of the questions that I made in the previous post. That is unless I missed it. If I did then my appologies. Thanks again for the help.

fly1Feb-09-05 04:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1470 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#318, "RE: Accel DFI Gen. 6 Install/Sensors"
In response to Reply # 6

I'll email it to you in the morning

"Sometimes, a man has to do what a man has to do."

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #311 Previous topic | Next topic