Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3077
View in linear mode

Subject: "MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
blakeMar-24-07 06:13 AM
Member since Feb 13th 2006
36 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3077, "MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!"

Okay I am in the process of building mar car and all the fab work is done and now i need to work on the electronics.....I bought a MS setup off a member on the board and Iwas wondering how to go about wiring it in. You can run the car off MS alone cant you. I had originally cut my harness off right by the ecu and freak out and bought a new ecu and soldered that in thinkin that will solve the problem well i am kinda scared about the job i did since there are 2 or three wires that dont have a mate.....so my question is can i just rip out my harness and run MSnS instead of the harness.....i have gotten rid of all accesories(no cd player and such) since this will be a track car mainly? HElp if you can...Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!, Slushbox, Mar-27-07 03:03 PM, #1
RE: MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!, blake, Mar-28-07 02:33 PM, #2
      RE: MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!, Slushbox, Mar-28-07 03:52 PM, #3
           RE: MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!, blake, Mar-29-07 03:33 PM, #4
                RE: MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!, Slushbox, Apr-03-07 03:16 PM, #5
RE: MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!, VelocitaPaola, Apr-08-07 07:40 PM, #6

SlushboxMar-27-07 03:03 PM
Member since Jul 13th 2005
73 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3093, "RE: MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

There is a topic about going standalone with the MS. I'm a little confused about what is going on, can you clearify?

AEM cam gears, .030 over, .020 milled head, Unorthodox UDP, port match intake/head, polished exhaust manifold, e-bay CAI, Magnaflow muffler

1995 GS A/T: Crushed, what started it all
1999 RS M/T: Back to stock
Mazdaspeed6: sold and quazi missed
1999 Eclipse GSX: HX35, waiting for Shep STG3

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

blakeMar-28-07 02:33 PM
36 posts,
#3102, "RE: MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

basically i fucked up and cut my harness right at the ECU and freaked out an bought another one with about 6 inches of wire behind it and soldered it back on but when i got done there were like 3 or 4 wires left that didnt have a mate in the ECU so i am kinda worried about this. I am in the process of getting the car running again and i am to the MSnS installation but here in Cincy we really dont have anyone with knowledge of it.....So i guess my question is really how hard is it to run MSnS as a standalone

SlushboxMar-28-07 03:52 PM
73 posts,
#3103, "RE: MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-28-07 03:53 PM by Slushbox

As a MS newbie I wouldn't suggest diving in and using MS as a standalone right off the bat. I would get the car running first before you install the MS to make sure all is well. As for the harness; is it from a 95-96 or a 97-99, was it for an slushbox or manual transaxle? This could help explain the extra wires. Cincy OH??? I'm in Middletown.

AEM cam gears, .030 over, .020 milled head, Unorthodox UDP, port match intake/head, polished exhaust manifold, e-bay CAI, Magnaflow muffler

blakeMar-29-07 03:33 PM
36 posts,
#3106, "RE: MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

i was told it was 5spd ecu but my car is still a 5spd and yes i am in ohio.....down towards the colerain area.......you freqeunt any of the cincy car sites

SlushboxApr-03-07 03:16 PM
73 posts,
#3108, "RE: MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

No, I'm originally from Dayton. Look up the ECU pin pinouts. If you need some hands on help, shoot me an e-mail. I have had a 92, 95, and now, my 99 RS. Getting the wiring fiqured out would be no prob.

VelocitaPaolaApr-08-07 07:40 PM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#3115, "RE: MSnS Newb....i am lost!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow... you just opened up a whole can of worms. One of the most annoying things about these cars is that the ECU pinouts differ from year to year. If you don't have the exact ECU for your car, you'll need to make a good plan-of-attack and solder each wire on the new ECU's harness to the corresponding wire on the old harness. Thankfully, the color coding didn't change much throughout the years, so it shouldn't be too bad.

As for whether or not you can run MSnS through your stock harness... yes and no. MS units aren't designed to withstand engine bay conditions. The heat, but more importantly, the moisture will affect it. You might be able to get away with filling the case with a potting material, but then you'd lose the ability to modify the board in the future.

Also, you would need to be fully prepared to run the unit as a complete standalone, which most people aren't ready to do. This means finding new power sources for all the sensors that require VREFs, controlling the alternator's voltage output, wiring various sensors to the dash, and controlling various auxillary systems (fans, A/C, etc.).

-http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3077 Previous topic | Next topic