Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2852
View in linear mode

Subject: "Holley Commander 950" Previous topic | Next topic
zmaher001Dec-26-06 05:58 AM
Member since Aug 10th 2006
30 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2852, "Holley Commander 950"

has anyone ever used one of these with our platform...i can get a really good deal on one but would like to know if it has been used or if it just cant be

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Holley Commander 950, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-26-06 01:56 PM, #1
RE: Holley Commander 950, Ready4Dis, Dec-30-06 01:37 AM, #2
      RE: Holley Commander 950, zmaher001, Dec-30-06 05:37 AM, #3
           RE: Holley Commander 950, shazow1969, Dec-30-06 12:39 PM, #4
                RE: Holley Commander 950, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-01-07 06:06 PM, #5
                     RE: Holley Commander 950, zmaher001, Jan-02-07 12:49 PM, #6
                          RE: Holley Commander 950, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-03-07 06:58 AM, #7
                               RE: Holley Commander 950, zmaher001, Jan-03-07 10:54 AM, #8
                                    RE: Holley Commander 950, zmaher001, Jan-04-07 06:57 PM, #9

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-26-06 01:56 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2855, "RE: Holley Commander 950"
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-26-06 02:07 PM by Star Turbo Talon

How good of a deal can you get? Looks liek for our application you would have to piece it together. All the kits come with Throttlebodies or MPFI for v-8's. If you piece it togather the ECU is 560.00 harness is 80.00 plus the sensors (Map, IAT, CLT, wideband, ect). These are prices from Summit Racing.

Looking over the PDF file: http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R10149-7.pdf

Its a very nicely designed unit from holley. It can be run as a fuel only setup or a Fuel and spark. It is already designed to control an IAC (GM based) and uses mostly all GM sensors which is nice for cost.

Iac output: This is very nice considering you will have control over the IAc to determine the Idle characterisitics of your setup. The downside is the IAC will need to be GM based as far as I can tell. I dont know if our IAC will work with the Software coding.

A/C input: There is a programmable input that will allow the HOlley to alter the idel if the A/C is on or you could configure it to work with or Power steering just like the factory ECU does. This could be useful if you notice problems with the factory ECU controlling both of the above.

RPM Input: This is usually a problem for our cars but Holley states the Commander is designed to work with a Hall effect or Magnetic signal. You would need to verify with Holley that our Crank sensor has been coded and will read accurately. If it isnt you can most likely use the tach signal wire from our ECU but you might need a Tach adapter from MSD.

Wideband input: The Commander will accept a NON-Holley wideband sensor but you will need to make sure the slope is accurate within the program. I dont know if you will need to alter the code or if there is a setup wizzard that will guide you. You would need to verify this with Holley or just buy the Holley wideband sensor (which means more money).

Running more than 4 injectors: To do this you need to purchase another module that will run piggy back with the commander and assist with the control. Since we are a 4 cyl its not that much of an issue but if you ever wanted to run staged injection or transfer to a v8 platform it would become an issue.

Software: Software is similer to Megasquirt if you have looked at that, its semi clear and easy to understand. It doesnt appear the have a dashboard that you can run on your laptop and read analog gauges as you drive. This can be useful especially if you dont always have a second person in the car to monitor things for you. Mine I glance at every now and then to see the o2 correction ect or maybe the Intake temps. The Holley setup would be more difficult to read. You would have to just get accustomed to it.

I dont know ho much research you have done in general but look at the Megasquirt also. The holley is basically the same thing only its slightly more advanced in its construction and programming. The Megasquirt was designed to be entry level and a DIY project. Holley has taken that and made thier own standalone ECU with the idea.

I didnt read the entire PDF but rather scanned over it to see the highlights. Its nice and I am sure it could work well but you would need to sit down and discuss some of the points listed above with Holley tech support first. I suggest you read the manual and make sure you understand it well. If you dont and are new to stand alone programming, you might end up biting off more than you can chew.

For info a Megasquirt setup cost about 500.00 total

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Ready4DisDec-30-06 01:37 AM
Member since Nov 29th 2004
48 posts,
#2856, "RE: Holley Commander 950"
In response to Reply # 1

Just wanted to comment, that yes our stepper motor is compatible with the gm stepper type, not sure the # of steps though, but the same driver can be used with both as long as you can set the # of steps (i'm sure you can, but make sure).

zmaher001Dec-30-06 05:37 AM
30 posts,
#2857, "RE: Holley Commander 950"
In response to Reply # 2

what about as far as running the ignition with the coilpack....i have a buddy with a 240 ka24t is running this and was thinking i may not be able to use one because of the 420a not having a distributor any input with that

shazow1969Dec-30-06 12:39 PM
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
466 posts,
#2858, "RE: Holley Commander 950"
In response to Reply # 3

Wow I really like the look of this system the ease of use and everything that goes with it. If I had to choose between this and Megasquirt it would be a tough decision. Both have outstanding benefits. While I believe that the holley may be more user friendly, megasquirt is an outstanding value. I may have to reevaluate what was thinking about doing for engine management.

-Kevin

01 Blazer LS 4.3/5spd dropped and clean DD
88 Camaro RS 361 CID with a 6spd and a bar 10 second street car on motor.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-01-07 06:06 PM
8331 posts,
#2860, "RE: Holley Commander 950"
In response to Reply # 4

Kevin, to me the software does not look as friendly. No gauge display its all digital and at a glance it might not be as easy to work with. The holley has some downsides that MS has benefits. If money is not an issue, it could be a tough call.

Terry

zmaher001Jan-02-07 12:49 PM
30 posts,
#2861, "RE: Holley Commander 950"
In response to Reply # 5

ok i called holley today and the answer i got was that we can use it for controlling fuel but we would have to have some other way of controlling spark/timing (msd DIS, etc)...so i guess ill be passing on this one....i was looking into the MS but here is my only problem...i asked a couple guys around where i live if they have ever tuned it and none of them have plus its so cheap in cost and it seems hard to believe that something that is supposed to work so good is so cheap...any input on that at all

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-03-07 06:58 AM
8331 posts,
#2863, "RE: Holley Commander 950"
In response to Reply # 6

A lot of us are running it and its fine. Its a little work, its not plug and play like most people think. A little frustration and people are complaining it sucks.

zmaher001Jan-03-07 10:54 AM
30 posts,
#2864, "RE: Holley Commander 950"
In response to Reply # 7

yeah i understand its not plug and play...i dont think there is one for our car so no matter what way i go i have to wire it up, but what about the MS in comparison to a Tec 2 or 3

zmaher001Jan-04-07 06:57 PM
30 posts,
#2866, "RE: Holley Commander 950"
In response to Reply # 8

so if i wanted a MS would this be the one to get?

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-engine-management-system-wpcb3-assembled-unit-p-65.html

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2852 Previous topic | Next topic