Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1977
View in linear mode

Subject: "MegaSquirt newbie" Previous topic | Next topic
EvolWunApr-13-06 08:47 AM
Member since Sep 02nd 2005
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1977, "MegaSquirt newbie"

I have been thinking about installing a megasquirt system on my 95. There are a lot of posts about megaquirt but nothing recent and nothing other than specific questions. Has anyone done a right-up on the acutal install process for our cars. From what I have seen, it doesn't look to bad, just time consuming.

I noticed that MrSlick was selling some kits, but it looks like there is a lawsuit against him right now. Are there any recent developments or stories that people may have with the megasquirt system.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: MegaSquirt newbie, WIDECLIPSE, Apr-13-06 09:50 AM, #1
RE: MegaSquirt newbie, CarbonFiberRST, Apr-13-06 11:13 AM, #2
      RE: MegaSquirt newbie, selmerguy2003, Apr-13-06 03:08 PM, #4
           RE: MegaSquirt newbie, CarbonFiberRST, Apr-14-06 03:16 AM, #5
RE: MegaSquirt newbie, Teamner947, Apr-13-06 12:10 PM, #3
RE: MegaSquirt newbie, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-14-06 12:21 PM, #6
      RE: MegaSquirt newbie, Teamner947, Apr-14-06 05:50 PM, #7
      RE: MegaSquirt newbie, ForceFed420a, Apr-27-06 03:52 PM, #8
           RE: MegaSquirt newbie, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-27-06 04:25 PM, #9
                RE: MegaSquirt newbie, GSGoinFast, Apr-27-06 05:03 PM, #10
                RE: MegaSquirt newbie, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-27-06 06:06 PM, #11
                     RE: MegaSquirt newbie, GSGoinFast, Apr-28-06 05:32 AM, #13
                     RE: MegaSquirt newbie, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-28-06 07:37 AM, #14
                          RE: MegaSquirt newbie, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-28-06 07:40 AM, #15
                RE: MegaSquirt newbie, ForceFed420a, Apr-28-06 02:40 AM, #12

WIDECLIPSEApr-13-06 09:50 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2004
1528 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1978, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-13-06 09:51 AM by WIDECLIPSE

1st post, wrong section. You were close though. At the top of this forum is the engine management section, this belongs in there.

The parts needed for this install comes from the understanding of how it works. There are certain threads that tell you some of the parts needed, but you will need to search for those and also read up on the mega manual http://www.megasquirt.info/

Talk to Terry (Star Turbo Talon) about making a system for you. There may be a few other members who can build you one, but I'm not sure of all of them.

-Roman

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

CarbonFiberRSTApr-13-06 11:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#1979, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 1
Apr-13-06 11:16 AM by CarbonFiberRST

ETX made mine, cost was $300(same amount MrSlick stole) Lately he is hard to get ahold of though. Anyway, the install is way easier than you think. The worst part is tapping the intake manifold and the thermostat housing for the sensors. Other than that you just wire those two sensors in then I just cut my factory injector harness and wired those to the MS then you just splice into the cps sensor(blue/white) and the TPS(forgot colors but easy to find out) and run a constant 12v power and a switched 12v power to the relay board(get a relay board it only takes 30 min. or so to solder) there, thats a write up, haha. Oh yea, and then since I have the zeitronix wbo2 I just ran the output wire from it to the relay board for the o2 reading(I'm pretty sure that covers everything on the install). Then you just gotta learn the MegaTune program, thats the step I'm on right now...

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

selmerguy2003Apr-13-06 03:08 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2005
288 posts,
#1981, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 2

Side note.... You have a constant power and a ignition power line? I only have 1 12 volt+ line on my ms v3. I didnt use a relay either. I used a toggle switch. And I did manage to install my sensors without tapping anything.

CarbonFiberRSTApr-14-06 03:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#1982, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-14-06 03:18 AM by CarbonFiberRST

Originally posted by selmerguy2003
Side note.... You have a constant power and a ignition power line? I only have 1 12 volt+ line on my ms v3. I didnt use a relay either. I used a toggle switch. And I did manage to install my sensors without tapping anything.

The relay board has 3 holes in it for you to solder in a switched 12v a constant 12v and a ground. It also has 3 relays and 4 fuses. Thats all I know... I was planning on hidding a toggle switch for the one of the power sources for a anti-theft feature. but yea... thats all I know...

EDIT: i have v2.2

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

Teamner947Apr-13-06 12:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1980, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 0

Unless you don't mind check engine lights you gotta keep the stock ECU hooked up as much as possible. That means leaving the stock temperature sensors intact or else you will have to deal with controlling idle with the MS which is a pain.

The best way to do the fuel injection wiring is to leave the stockers hooked up stored in the engine bay somewhere so the stock ECU still thinks they are doing something. Don't cut stock wiring if you can avoid it, it makes the installation a lot cleaner. Find a spare fuel injector bundle connector at the junkyard and use that.

MS -> commandeered stock connector -> stock fuel injector harness -> injectors in manifold

Stock ECU -> stock wiring harness -> commandeered stock fuel injector harness -> stock injectors hanging out somewhere

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-14-06 12:21 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#1983, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 3

Actually leaving the stock injectors hooked up the the ECU doesnt help at all. The ECU figures out real quick that the injectors are not actually doing anything. I tried this and it threw a CEL about 10 mins into my drive.

Terry

Teamner947Apr-14-06 05:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1984, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 6

Damn. 10 minutes you say? Hopefully that will be long enough to get an inspection sticker... otherwise the stock injectors are going back in and the wastegate cotter pin is coming out.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

ForceFed420aApr-27-06 03:52 PM
Member since Oct 18th 2004
620 posts,
#2019, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Actually leaving the stock injectors hooked up the the ECU doesnt help at all. The ECU figures out real quick that the injectors are not actually doing anything. I tried this and it threw a CEL about 10 mins into my drive. Terry

Terry,

What do you do then to prevent a CEL? I'm going to encounter this soon with my car needing an inspection.

Brian

Red 97 Eclipse GS (420a) MTX
Custom Garrett T3 Turbo system
Megasquirt w/52 lb/hr injectors & a Walbro 255
Kicker/Alpine Audio (3 amps, 2 subs)
90 Cav 2.2 TBI auto (winter) <- yeah, it's fast

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-27-06 04:25 PM
8331 posts,
#2020, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 8

The onyl answer to the CEL is to imagine it says "MS on"...lol

Seriously to pass emmissions what i do is re-install the factory injectors, install the EGR and drive it on stock fuel for a few days. I disable my wastegate so the turbo cant build boost.

The factory ECU remains fully connected with the exception of the injector harness. I have tried all sorts of ways to trick the ECU that the injectors are there and none have worked.

It takes me about 1 hour to prepare for emmisions so its not bad at all really. The CEl really doesnt bother me but you could set the bulb up on a switch so you dont have to remove it to make it go away.

Terry

GSGoinFastApr-27-06 05:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#2021, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 9

The onyl answer to the CEL is to imagine it says "MS on"...lol Seriously to pass emmissions what i do is re-install the factory injectors, install the EGR and drive it on stock fuel for a few days. I disable my wastegate so the turbo cant build boost. The factory ECU remains fully connected with the exception of the injector harness. I have tried all sorts of ways to trick the ECU that the injectors are there and none have worked. It takes me about 1 hour to prepare for emmisions so its not bad at all really. The CEl really doesnt bother me but you could set the bulb up on a switch so you dont have to remove it to make it go away. Terry

Terry, What lets the ecu know that the stock injectors aren't actually doing anything? Can it sense no fuel pressure or what?

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-27-06 06:06 PM
8331 posts,
#2022, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 10

The ECU can "see" that the changes it makes to the injector PW doesnt affect the fuel trims. Thats when the injectors are connected but not plumbed in. If you try resistors, the ECU can see that the resistance doesnt change as the injector opens and closes.

To fully understand the second point, take a speaker, connect a multimeter to the leads and read the resistance of the coil. now push in the cone to simulate the driver moving. Resistance does change as the coil moved through the magnet. Injector is no different.

Terry

GSGoinFastApr-28-06 05:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#2024, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 11
Apr-28-06 05:34 AM by GSGoinFast

The ECU can "see" that the changes it makes to the injector PW doesnt affect the fuel trims. Thats when the injectors are connected but not plumbed in. If you try resistors, the ECU can see that the resistance doesnt change as the injector opens and closes. To fully understand the second point, take a speaker, connect a multimeter to the leads and read the resistance of the coil. now push in the cone to simulate the driver moving. Resistance does change as the coil moved through the magnet. Injector is no different. Terry

I realized that the ecu would notice it wasn't affect a/f ratio while changing pulse duration as I was walking home from class this morning right before I read this lol. Why are cars always on my mind?

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-28-06 07:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#2025, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 11

The ECU can "see" that the changes it makes to the injector PW doesnt affect the fuel trims. Thats when the injectors are connected but not plumbed in. If you try resistors, the ECU can see that the resistance doesnt change as the injector opens and closes. To fully understand the second point, take a speaker, connect a multimeter to the leads and read the resistance of the coil. now push in the cone to simulate the driver moving. Resistance does change as the coil moved through the magnet. Injector is no different. Terry

it's probably a 52 or a 51, rich or lean code, not an injector circuit code. If it sees resistance, it thinks the injectors are there. it's not intelligent enough to know if they're there and not plumbed.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-28-06 07:40 AM
8331 posts,
#2026, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 14

Nope, its injector circuit malfunction. Oddly i dont get the rich lean code or the target idle not reached code. Kinda strange.

Terry

ForceFed420aApr-28-06 02:40 AM
Member since Oct 18th 2004
620 posts,
#2023, "RE: MegaSquirt newbie"
In response to Reply # 9

The onyl answer to the CEL is to imagine it says "MS on"...lol

hehe...nice

Thank you for the response. I've still got the stock injectors, but now I need to find a harness for them since I used the harness parts for the MS install.

Dang ECU...why do they have to make it so smart? hehe

Thanks again Terry,
Brian

Red 97 Eclipse GS (420a) MTX
Custom Garrett T3 Turbo system
Megasquirt w/52 lb/hr injectors & a Walbro 255
Kicker/Alpine Audio (3 amps, 2 subs)
90 Cav 2.2 TBI auto (winter) <- yeah, it's fast

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1977 Previous topic | Next topic