Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1845
View in linear mode

Subject: "MS or Portfueler?" Previous topic | Next topic
evotunedsccMar-12-06 01:39 PM
Member since Jul 04th 2004
83 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1845, "MS or Portfueler?"

Guys I'm sure you've heard this question several times but I'm torn between the two and dont know which route to take. The advantages of the Portfueler are that I already have 450cc injectors and stock injectors so that would save me some money and I could run higher boost with these two sets instead of one set of 450s on MS. Also with PF my understanding is that it's a one-time tune and should work just fine from there on out.

As far as MS, you have more control. But I dont own a laptop that I can keep always in my car in case something goes wrong with it. I've heard that MS will work fine sometimes, and suddely not let your car start, in which case you have to hook up that laptop and figure out the problem. MS is also cheaper and less complicated in terms of having more parts working under the hood. My knowlege on efi isn't that great either so this is another drawback to MS.

I need some guidance on where I should go, I've got the money for either system I just need help on deciding which one to go with.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: MS or Portfueler?, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-12-06 02:02 PM, #1
RE: MS or Portfueler?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-12-06 02:51 PM, #2
      RE: MS or Portfueler?, evotunedscc, Mar-12-06 03:11 PM, #3
           RE: MS or Portfueler?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-12-06 04:12 PM, #4
                RE: MS or Portfueler?, TeamXtremeRS, Mar-12-06 05:54 PM, #5
                     RE: MS or Portfueler?, evotunedscc, Mar-12-06 06:13 PM, #6
                          RE: MS or Portfueler?, baxsom, Mar-13-06 01:17 AM, #7
                          RE: MS or Portfueler?, TeamXtremeRS, Mar-13-06 01:16 PM, #8
RE: MS or Portfueler?, RxR_Eclipse, Mar-13-06 08:42 PM, #9
RE: MS or Portfueler?, customrsturbo, Mar-20-06 03:38 PM, #10
RE: MS or Portfueler?, Teamner947, Apr-01-06 01:33 PM, #11

EclipseTenzoRMar-12-06 02:02 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1846, "RE: MS or Portfueler?"
In response to Reply # 0

When I decide to build my motor and boost high I will be doing portfueler. I like the idea of keeping my stock injectors and keeping it streetable. Ease of passing inspection too.

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-12-06 02:51 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#1847, "RE: MS or Portfueler?"
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-12-06 02:52 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Come on guys, we have a section for info like this, please use it. The Portfueler has to be retuned very often. The Portfueler does not have a temp sensor to adjust for temperature changes, therefor you will need to retune through different times of the year. You will even need to retune when runnign at the track. Tim97rs was able to run 6 or 7 runs before he began leaning out. This was because the engine bay began to heatsoak and the EIC was still addidg fuel for a temp that was 30* cooler.

When you get the portfueler the map is extremely rich and you will need to do a fair amount of tuning as it is. If you dont like tuning then you need to consider a different platform to work with.

The MS can be set up to a one time tune, the only difference is the range you are tunig is much greater and it will take you longer to initially get a good map.

Terry

evotunedsccMar-12-06 03:11 PM
83 posts,
#1848, "RE: MS or Portfueler?"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-12-06 03:12 PM by evotunedscc

What about the AEM EMS? Will it work with our cars?? The thing here is I have heard horror stories of MS suddenly not working and I'm not going to ahve a laptop with me at ALL times. I wanna be able to drive my car to the mall and to a movie without having to worry about being stranded.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-12-06 04:12 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#1849, "RE: MS or Portfueler?"
In response to Reply # 3

AEM EMS will work but there isnt an adapter harness available. you will need to fully custom make a harness.

My MS has never failed in 2 years. I dont think MS has failed for any 2gnt members.

TeamXtremeRSMar-12-06 05:54 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1851, "RE: MS or Portfueler?"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah i've never been stranded by the MS either...I do carry a spare, but never had to use it. This car has been with the MS for a few years now, been to Chicago and back to Michigan 2 times(4 hour drive each way), and to the DSM shootout and back 2 times(3-4 hour drive each way). If the MS was built properly, and it was done with care, the only issues you may have would more than likely be user related..(wiring, tuning, ect..) The MS is the shit

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

evotunedsccMar-12-06 06:13 PM
83 posts,
#1853, "RE: MS or Portfueler?"
In response to Reply # 5

alright I'm leaning back toward MS now. I've installed Megatune on my desktop pc and it's intimidating the hell out of me. SO MANY menus and different options im confused as hell. If I decide to get MS how many parameters will I have to adjust when tuning the car?

baxsomMar-13-06 01:17 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2004
758 posts,
#1854, "RE: MS or Portfueler?"
In response to Reply # 6

i have the portfueler. i noticed you said that you already have 450cc injectors. those arent from a 4g63t are they because the PF wont work with those low imp injectors.

i found the install relatively painless but everyone was right when they said that the base map was rich

my zeitronix read 10.5:1 at 15 psi

the software is easy to use but it helps to have a datalogger that records boost also

with my zeitronix i log boost, rpms, AF

then find that corresponding cell and add or subtract fuel

1996 eclipse GS-T
1968 Ford Mustang
2004 Suzuki GSXR600
2006 Honda CBR1000RR
Decisions Decisions

TeamXtremeRSMar-13-06 01:16 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1857, "RE: MS or Portfueler?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by evotunedscc
alright I'm leaning back toward MS now. I've installed Megatune on my desktop pc and it's intimidating the hell out of me. SO MANY menus and different options im confused as hell. If I decide to get MS how many parameters will I have to adjust when tuning the car?

Yes, there are quite a few things to adjust and play around with, so getting that fine tune can take some time. It's basically a full standalone like the AEM EMS, so lots of tuning required. If you want simple, and more pain free install and things like that, the PF may be your best bet. It's main downfall is no ignition timing control, which comes in very handy if you want to start running higher boost on pump gas. It even helps with getting some more power out ofthe engine with lower compression pistons when we do rebuilds, as i've gotten some power gains in lower boost up to 15 psi by ADDING timing over the stock timing advance map(stock compression is 9.6:1, and ment for 87 octane fuel, we run 93/92 and lower compression, so we need more timing advance. The MS is a great thing to have if you really want to make some good clean power.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

RxR_EclipseMar-13-06 08:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#1859, "RE: MS or Portfueler?"
In response to Reply # 0

Also with PF my understanding is that it's a one-time tune and should work just fine from there on out. I've heard that MS will work fine sometimes, and suddely not let your car start, in which case you have to hook up that laptop and figure out the problem.

False on both accounts...

Kevin
The old:

The new:

customrsturboMar-20-06 03:38 PM
Member since Oct 06th 2003
249 posts,
#1887, "RE: MS or Portfueler?"
In response to Reply # 9

You can use the 8-injector set-up with a HKS AIC-3. You can do a search on ebay. They are around 260.00 dollars. I have been running one for like three years now. You can use high or low impedance injectors by moving a switch. I have been thinking on going with megasquirt, but just in injectors I have to spend from 350.00 to 400.00 dollars.
It will depend on what type of power you want to make and what boost level you want to run.

1995 Eclipse RS-T
GT35R, SPEC Stage 5 clutch
E85 Fuel(Helping the Ecosystem)
MS, v3.0, 029t
10.87 @ 135

Teamner947Apr-01-06 01:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1945, "RE: MS or Portfueler?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've heard that MS will work fine sometimes, and suddely not let your car start

That's happened to me twice over the past year, both times were my fault, once for setting the wrong cranking pulse for 160 degree startup, and once was for leaving too much flux around a close connection. Both times I was able to fix the problem without a laptop. The cranking pulse one was a bit of a riddle that took me about 10 minutes to figure out that I wasn't getting enough fuel, so I had to do a keydance and start off of the fuel from the priming pulse. When the flux was causing a low resistance connection I picked it off with a knife and it was fine. The stability of the system is ultimately up to the end user.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1845 Previous topic | Next topic