Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1707
View in linear mode

Subject: "Any way to trick ECU to not throw a CEL ?" Previous topic | Next topic
brokenrodguyJan-04-06 08:43 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2004
556 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1707, "Any way to trick ECU to not throw a CEL ?"

I want to MS soon but Im worded about a CEL and inspection.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-04-06 09:45 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1710, "RE: Any way to trick ECU to not throw a CEL ?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have tried ways to get around the CEL but not much has worked. Tje ECU is able to figure out that it is not controlling fuel even if it still sees the correct impedance of the injector circuit.

The best way to compat emissions and inspection is to route the harness with the factory harness and to set the harness up so it is minimal work to change back to stock fuel injectors a few days before you run the testing.

My setup: The MS harness has the factory plug on it for the injector harness. the factory harness just dangles. So when testing comes up i simply change out the injectors and flip flop the harness and MS harness plug to give the stock ECU fuel control. The rest stays the same and i clear my CEL. NOw for spark i will do the same.

Take me 1 hour to prep for emissions testing.

If you really wanted to get painless, set up you intake manifold liek the 8 injector setup and leave the stockers in place so all you need to do is connect the factory harness up to the stockers and disconnect the MS harness from your Larger injectors in the secondary location. You would obviously need to set up fuel lines so that both sets of injectors have fuel plumbed to them at all times.

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Jan-05-06 04:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#1711, "RE: Any way to trick ECU to not throw a CEL ?"
In response to Reply # 1

At the same time, I wonder if there is anyone on this forum who would be capable of creating a stock ECU emulator that would run to the test port for testing. You could then pull the CEL (or have MS activate it as a warning/shift light) and smog would plug into the dummy, see an all clear, and pass you as is. More work up front for a sure thing in the end. I just don't know if the testers just read sert values or if they communicate with the ECU more. Either way, there is no current way to avoid the MS CEL save the way Terry stated above. (Glad I have a spare injector rail harness!)

Teamner947Jan-05-06 05:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1713, "RE: Any way to trick ECU to not throw a CEL ?"
In response to Reply # 2
Jan-05-06 05:20 AM by ner947

Originally posted by DR1665
At the same time, I wonder if there is anyone on this forum who would be capable of creating a stock ECU emulator that would run to the test port for testing. You could then pull the CEL (or have MS activate it as a warning/shift light) and smog would plug into the dummy, see an all clear, and pass you as is. More work up front for a sure thing in the end. I just don't know if the testers just read sert values or if they communicate with the ECU more. Either way, there is no current way to avoid the MS CEL save the way Terry stated above. (Glad I have a spare injector rail harness!)

It's hard... I've looked into this. The information is out there in the form of technical articles and patents, but it would take a bit of engineering time. I think the best way to start is to create some sort of serial interface controlled by the MS/MS2 CAN network. This way you could emulate an OBD2 port using the device responsible for compromising the original one. Oh, the irony.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1707 Previous topic | Next topic