Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1696
View in linear mode

Subject: "quick megasquirt question" Previous topic | Next topic
T_KJan-04-06 04:49 AM
Member since Nov 03rd 2005
219 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1696, "quick megasquirt question"

I'm still getting familiarized with how it works but my impression so far is that I can just use stock injectors and stock fpr with it (for 7-8psi boost), is that right?

I did search a lot but everyone seems to run bigger injectors.

1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: balance shafts, cruise & AC removed; 16psi, Dejon intake & UICP, ported 14b, EVOIII mani, ported 2G O2 housing, 2.5" Buschur dp to 3" Thermal exhaust, datalogger, front strut brace, prothane motor mounts

1995 Eclipse RS U-Boot; Tokico Illuminas, GSX front brakes, ST front swaybar, short shifter, CAI with K&N filter, rear disks and swaybar, front upper and rear lower strut braces, beater exterior

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: quick megasquirt question, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-04-06 05:22 AM, #1
RE: quick megasquirt question, T_K, Jan-04-06 06:41 AM, #2
      RE: quick megasquirt question, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-04-06 06:55 AM, #3
           RE: quick megasquirt question, T_K, Jan-04-06 07:34 AM, #4
                RE: quick megasquirt question, MCubed45, Jan-04-06 08:22 AM, #5
                     RE: quick megasquirt question, T_K, Jan-04-06 08:35 AM, #6
                          RE: quick megasquirt question, RxR_Eclipse, Jan-04-06 05:16 PM, #7
                               RE: quick megasquirt question, T_K, Jan-05-06 04:36 AM, #8
                                    RE: quick megasquirt question, MCubed45, Jan-06-06 04:37 AM, #9
                                         RE: quick megasquirt question, T_K, Jan-06-06 08:19 AM, #10

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-04-06 05:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1697, "RE: quick megasquirt question"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by T_K
I'm still getting familiarized with how it works but my impression so far is that I can just use stock injectors and stock fpr with it (for 7-8psi boost), is that right? I did search a lot but everyone seems to run bigger injectors.

No.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

T_KJan-04-06 06:41 AM
219 posts,
#1699, "RE: quick megasquirt question"
In response to Reply # 1

how about bigger injectors, stock fpr, shorter pulse off boost?

1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: balance shafts, cruise & AC removed; 16psi, Dejon intake & UICP, ported 14b, EVOIII mani, ported 2G O2 housing, 2.5" Buschur dp to 3" Thermal exhaust, datalogger, front strut brace, prothane motor mounts

1995 Eclipse RS U-Boot; Tokico Illuminas, GSX front brakes, ST front swaybar, short shifter, CAI with K&N filter, rear disks and swaybar, front upper and rear lower strut braces, beater exterior

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-04-06 06:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1700, "RE: quick megasquirt question"
In response to Reply # 2

Whatever gave you the idea you could use a stock pressure regulator?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

T_KJan-04-06 07:34 AM
219 posts,
#1701, "RE: quick megasquirt question"
In response to Reply # 3
Jan-04-06 07:47 AM by T_K

ok ok I'll just go read more

and so I found I need a 1:1 FPR.

MCubed45Jan-04-06 08:22 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#1702, "RE: quick megasquirt question"
In response to Reply # 4

you need a 1:1 fpr. otherwise when you're at 8psi of boost your fuel rail pressure has been effectively LOWERED by 8psi (due to the pressure difference) and you will thus be getting less fuel. pressure is a relative measurement - normally taken in reference to atmospheric pressure (gauge pressure) rather than absolute pressure. if your fuel rail had a pressure of 40psi (gauge) and you were also boosting 40psi (gauge) then the effective pressure difference between the rail and intake manifold would be 0 psi. you would simply be dripping fuel into the mani.

-marc

T_KJan-04-06 08:35 AM
219 posts,
#1703, "RE: quick megasquirt question"
In response to Reply # 5

ok

now again about the stock fpr, couldn't I just use a rising rate addon fpr like the basic vortech fmu with 1:1 setting?

the thing is I got a '95 and I just don't want to cut the fuel rail

RxR_EclipseJan-04-06 05:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#1706, "RE: quick megasquirt question"
In response to Reply # 6
Jan-04-06 06:08 PM by RxR_Eclipse

Originally posted by T_K
ok now again about the stock fpr, couldn't I just use a rising rate addon fpr like the basic vortech fmu with 1:1 setting? the thing is I got a '95 and I just don't want to cut the fuel rail

hmmm, you don't cut the fuel rail(I'm not sure who has cut thier fuel rail, think about it)...I think your confused about cutting the fuel pressure regulator to allow you to lower the fuel pressure and you typically only need to do this if you have oversized injectors and are NOT using the MS. I can't remember what the factory fuel pressure is, but you might as well just hack your regulator anyway. I set my static pressure @ about 45 psi. Buy the areomotive regulator that everyone uses. Proven and pretty cheap.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

T_KJan-05-06 04:36 AM
219 posts,
#1712, "RE: quick megasquirt question"
In response to Reply # 7

I got a SFMU very cheap so I'll just use that for the time being till I get a better idea how the whole thing works.

MCubed45Jan-06-06 04:37 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#1722, "RE: quick megasquirt question"
In response to Reply # 8

did you read my explanation of why you're supposed to use a 1:1 fpr? the idea is to take the pressure differential out of the equation and focus fuel adjmustment on using pulsewidth ONLY. the MS does not use rising fuel pressure to increase fuel. it uses pulsewidth. if you use your SFMU while the MS is assuming static pressure you're going to be running very rich. if you want to use your SFMU don't use the MS. if you want to use the MS get a 1:1 fpr. AFAIK the MS is not made to compensate for changes in fuel pressure. this is why you use a 1:1 FPR to keep the pressure difference between the rail and the manifold contstant.

here's an example:

0vac/boost and fuel pressure at 45psi.

pressure difference is 45psi.

10psi boost using a 1:1 fpr and fuel pressure is at 55psi (relative to the atmosphere).

pressure difference is still 45psi.

this makes things much simpler.

if you want to use your SFMU you're going to need to have the MS monitor fuel pressure as well and come up with your own fuel tables which compensate for the changing fuel pressure.

the whole point of the MS was so we could ditch less accurate means of fuel management such as rising rate FPR's.

-marc

T_KJan-06-06 08:19 AM
219 posts,
#1725, "RE: quick megasquirt question"
In response to Reply # 9

I will use the SFMU for now and when I get more familiar with engine management I'll get a MS and 1:1 fpr. Thanks for the advices

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1696 Previous topic | Next topic