Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1565
View in linear mode

Subject: "Accel DFI..Questions." Previous topic | Next topic
Nitrous_RS1997Jan-10-04 10:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1311 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1565, "Accel DFI..Questions."

I am going standalone...finally made up my mind. im pretty clueless when it comes to stand alones though, and i was wondering if one of you guys that has the unit could explain what all is required for installation(if there is a wiring diagram, etc.) and where is the best place to buy it from? HRC? does it come with a base map for our cars, or do you just start from scratch. ive got all the Dyno access i need for tuning, and a laptop. Thanks a lot for any info guys. im getting excited.

1999 Black C5
1997 Silver RS
Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons(back to low compression!)
Eagle Rods
T3/T4 Turbo
Custom FMIC
Greddy Exhaust
390's
Most current 1/8th mile time: 8.3@90mph 2.015 60'(Nitto Drag radials, i suck)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Accel DFI..Questions., fly1, Jan-10-04 01:24 PM, #1
RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Teamner947, Jan-11-04 03:32 PM, #2
      RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Nitrous_RS1997, Jan-13-04 09:43 AM, #3
           RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-13-04 10:15 AM, #4
           RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Moderator992gnt, Jan-13-04 10:29 AM, #5
                RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Initial DSM, Jan-13-04 04:36 PM, #6
                     RE: Accel DFI..Questions., grain, Jan-14-04 01:07 AM, #7
                          RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Administratoradmin2, Jan-14-04 07:07 AM, #8
                               RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Super20G, Jan-20-04 07:56 AM, #9
                                    RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-20-04 08:38 AM, #10
                                         RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Initial DSM, Jan-20-04 08:19 PM, #11
                                              RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-21-04 03:46 AM, #12
                                                   RE: Accel DFI..Questions., fly1, Jan-21-04 12:33 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Moderator992gnt, Jan-21-04 04:53 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Accel DFI..Questions., JustOne, Jan-31-04 09:05 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Super20G, Feb-02-04 03:42 PM, #16
                                                                       RE: Accel DFI..Questions., JustOne, Feb-03-04 03:28 AM, #17
                                                                            RE: Accel DFI..Questions., esseclipse, Mar-04-04 04:15 PM, #18
                                                                                 RE: Accel DFI..Questions., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-11-04 06:27 AM, #19

fly1Jan-10-04 01:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1470 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1566, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 0

I have the piggyback Accel DFI Gen 6, which is not as versatile as the current Gen 7--Windows based and with full timing control. When you purchase it from HRC, it comes with a "base" fuel map, which runs quite rich. Having access to and the funds to dyno will be helpful (maybe that's why I'm still running HRC's fuel map ) Being able to trim or add fuel per fuel cell at a certain boost level, load %, and RPM is awesom

"Sometimes, a man has to do what a man has to do."

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamner947Jan-11-04 03:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1567, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 1

around the end of november i called HRC asking them if they have any type of high-end fuel system avaiable (i.e. better than my current one) the sales rep. said that they weren't finished developing the DFI 7 yet, and they weren't selling the DFI 6, and their new "secret" fuel system was still in the process of having the bugs worked out. really sucked, i was looking forward to getting a DFI 7 for Christmas.

there are a handful of people here on the board with a DFI 6. they use it to independentally and accurately control very large injectors (like 625's or whatever) these units are easily avaiable on e-bay for around $400 or so. finding a good base map for the Accel DFI is pretty easy just ask someone around here with a DFI and i'm sure they'd e-mail you a base map...

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Nitrous_RS1997Jan-13-04 09:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1311 posts,
#1568, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 2

Is the Gen-6 a stand alone unit, or do you still keep the stock ECU for timing control? that would be fine with me.

1999 Black C5
1997 Silver RS
Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons(back to low compression!)
Eagle Rods
T3/T4 Turbo
Custom FMIC
Greddy Exhaust
390's
Most current 1/8th mile time: 8.3@90mph 2.015 60'(Nitto Drag radials, i suck)

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-13-04 10:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1569, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Nitrous_RS1997
do you still keep the stock ECU for timing control?

Yes.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Moderator992gntJan-13-04 10:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#1570, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 3

The Gen 6 will not handle timing. Not sure about the Gen 7. Hahn was working on the Gen 7 over a year ago, and it's still not ready. HRC uses the DFI as a piggyback of sorts, only to handle fuel control for big (625cc) injectors. A full on standalone (Motech, Autronic, etc.) is the best way to have full control over everything, but the problem is that you will have full control over everything. It's very difficult to work with unless you have a complete and total understanding of fuel injection and timing, and how they work (or don't work) together. To use the Gen 6 you'll need to add a host of new sensors in addition to the stock sensors which the factory ecu will still need. It works, but it is rather cumbersome. I think the 8 injector setup is a little more elegant, but there isn't a 'great' alternative to either for handling big injectors and timing on the 420a.

As a side note, I have no idea where AFX is at with their ecu mods, but there is no reason that it couldn't be reflashed to accomodate bigger injectors, timing control, etc. This has been being done for 3-4 months now on the Evo, with code that hadn't been seen here before last March.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

Initial DSMJan-13-04 04:36 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2003
2833 posts,
#1571, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 5

Howell Automotive just got a prototype distributor for their Neon; I believe theyve hooked this up to a DFI 6. Performance Distributor made it, and I think theyre in the process of making one for our cars as well, but I do belive Gary said the neon one would mount up anyway. This would allow you to run a DFI 6 as a true standealone with an ignition box as well.

grainJan-14-04 01:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#1572, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 6

can you elaborate on what sensors would need to be added to the car to run the gen6? im thinking of this route instead of a 20g.

Administratoradmin2Jan-14-04 07:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
543 posts,
#1573, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 7
Jan-14-04 07:10 AM by admin2

All you absolutely HAVE to have to run the Gen 6 is an additional coolant temp sensor and the 3 bar map supplied with the unit. others that are nice to have but not 100% necessary are an air temp sensor, an additional O2 sensor (or the signal from the stocker routed into the dfi) and a wideband

Super20GJan-20-04 07:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1574, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 8

I'd steer clear of the gen 6 if you like reliability... because when the weather changes... your gonna be crying... unless you just really want to keep your head into the laptop and on the dyno until you get the thing straightened out. Or if your climate stays pretty much even year round i guess

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-20-04 08:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1575, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Super20G
I'd steer clear of the gen 6 if you like reliability... because when the weather changes... your gonna be crying... unless you just really want to keep your head into the laptop and on the dyno until you get the thing straightened out. Or if your climate stays pretty much even year round i guess

or you buy the air temp sensor and build a tollerably good air temp correction map.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

Initial DSMJan-20-04 08:19 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2003
2833 posts,
#1576, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 10

Where to get this air temp sensor for future reference?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-21-04 03:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1577, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 11

Accel, or HRC, or any Accel dealer. I haven't tried, but a second stock sensor might even work if the resistances match up.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

fly1Jan-21-04 12:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1470 posts,
#1578, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 12

Or www.Jegs.com

"Sometimes, a man has to do what a man has to do."

Moderator992gntJan-21-04 04:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#1579, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 13

Summit Racing also carries all the accel parts as well. Free shipping!

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

JustOneJan-31-04 09:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#1580, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 14

Been running the gen 6 for years now on a daily driver and never had any real problems. I run all the sensors, o2, air, coolant, map, etc. I have been running the stage 5 map from hrc but I am only stage 4. The values are a little smaller due to the fact that the stage 5 map is meant for 725cc injector.

After I installed the gen 6 I soon found out that fuel was never an issue anymore and traction was.

Super20GFeb-02-04 03:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
#1581, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 15

Are you using the prefab map from hahn's global for air correction or have you modified it?

JustOneFeb-03-04 03:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#1582, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 16

I have played w/ changing it a little but never anything permanent. At the moment it is just set at the settings hrc had them at for the stage 5 map.

The only other things I have changed are the cranking fuel and warm up enrichment. I lowered the settings about 25%.

esseclipseMar-04-04 04:15 PM
Member since Aug 09th 2002
682 posts,
#1583, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 17

Is anyone using the Gen 7?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-11-04 06:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1584, "RE: Accel DFI..Questions."
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by esseclipse
Is anyone using the Gen 7?

AT this point in time the Gen 7 is still to expensive for your average weekend racer with his on-again-off-again daily driven 2gnt to play with. AT $1400+, it's a big initial cost, plus the time it'll take to tune. Same for any standalone, really.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1565 Previous topic | Next topic