Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1307
View in linear mode

Subject: "where can i learn about megasquirt?" Previous topic | Next topic
97grnRSSep-12-05 02:33 PM
Member since Jul 24th 2004
564 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1307, "where can i learn about megasquirt?"

i wanna start learning about fuel managemt more. is there an official site where i can learn exactly what it does and how to use it or no?

91 civic hatch, homemade turbo+ LS motor = 12 sec street car.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

djtrickeeSep-12-05 02:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1308, "RE: where can i learn about megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you serious? or joking? Have you heard of Google.com?

I'm not joking here, my 96 year old grandma had never heard of google so I know there are people out there who haven't.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MCubed45Sep-12-05 03:26 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#1309, "RE: where can i learn about megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 1

www.msefi.com

they've got their own forums an everything. lots've great info there. if you've got a 420A specific question post on here, for more general info the MS forums are your best bet.

-marc

97grnRSSep-12-05 03:55 PM
Member since Jul 24th 2004
564 posts,
#1310, "RE: where can i learn about megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 0

i guess is what im trying to decide is , i am only running 8 psi and i dont really plan on goin more for a long time yet so would geting MS actually do much for me or no? i would like to get it but im confused at this point on how exactly it takes place of stock ecu , like what about speedometer and everything else the ecu controls. and im not even sure of what version or components i would need. im reading posts on here but i dunno..

91 civic hatch, homemade turbo+ LS motor = 12 sec street car.

MCubed45Sep-12-05 06:03 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#1311, "RE: where can i learn about megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sep-12-05 06:07 PM by MCubed45

the MS in it's simplest form takes over control of the injectors from the ECU. most people still use their stock ECU b/c there's no real added benefit from getting rid of it and it's a bit complicated to wire up all the little extra things the ECU controls. the MS is also capable of taking over spark control entirely (mega squirt'n'spark or MSnS). it's easiest to get the MS running fuel only, then if you need more control you can look into have it control spark as well.

for any given boost application the MS is a great investment as it gives you REAL control over your fuel maps and trims. if you take a step back and think about the other methods of fuel modification we use on our cars the MS just makes a lot of sense. with a rising rate FPR you're basically cranking up the fuel pressure to force more fuel in when you hit boost. this works but is not a very elegant solution and gets a bit ridiculous when you get into high boost levels. your tuning capabilites are severely limited (aside from setting static pressure and rise rate). if you were to slap on a SAFC to this setup this also only gives you marginal control and again is a work-around system, basically sending a false MAP signal to the ECU and fooling it into giving a different amount of fuel. this works somewhat decently to a degree but then you run into problems with the ECU pulling timing.

the MS lets you set a specific pulsewidth and thus a specific amount of fuel at any point on a 12x12 table. the MS takes into account IAT (intake air temp), throttle position, coolant temp, RPM, A/F ratio (much more beneficial with a wideband 02), boost/vac and helps to deliver an optimal amount of fuel for a given parameter. a 12x12 table is more than enough for most people (that's 144 points) and gives you a very high degree of control. you have logging capabilites and can easily find spots where your tuning is a bit lacking.

a typical aftermarket system like this would be exteremly specific and for the most part vehicle specific (e.g. AEM EMS). but the MS is relatively inexpensive in pre-built form and is further reduced in cost if you choose to build your own. it is not a simple plug and play install but is also not exteremly complicated (mostly just wire tapping). if you don't desire the degree of control the MS provides and are happy with what a simple SFMU can provide then the MS may not be for you. however for those seeking a cost-effective means of obtaining a high level of tuning capabilites, the MS is great.

*edit*
as far as version and components go with a v3.0 PCB (printed circuit board). it's much nicer than the v2.2 boards and has the flyback circuit built into the board. as far as MS vs MSII processor most 2GNT's would suggest sticking with the MS processor for now. you can always upgrade later but at this point a lot of the 'extra' code written for the MS processor has not been rewritten for the MSII and it sounds like it could be a decent amount of time before it is. the MSII does have much nicer specs but the MS is nothing to laugh at either. the upgrade to MSII is simply a matter of popping out your MS processor and plugging in the MSII daughter card in place of it.

-marc

widebodyeclipseSep-13-05 05:29 AM
Member since Jun 25th 2002
535 posts,
#1312, "RE: where can i learn about megasquirt?"
In response to Reply # 4

cubed thanks for the info. i too have been tossing up and reading what others have accomplished with the ms. i want to go that route very soon. as soon as i get the car painted and on the road. just wish someone here in kansas city had done this to theirs successfuly and could od it for me. not much time to get anything done anymore.
thanks again ben

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2134181717&mode=slideshow
t3/t4 setup, je pistone, eagle rods,aem cam gears, crane cams, port and polished head w swirl polished valves, avcr, autometer gauges to be installed, kaminari widebody kit shaved rain seals, door handles, tail lights, relocated gas cap, double humped hood, house of kolors candybrandywine 20in weld evo wheels, air ride, custom fiberglass work (dash interior) more to come just not enough time

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1307 Previous topic | Next topic