Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1242
View in linear mode

Subject: "Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?" Previous topic | Next topic
CARWASH216Aug-30-05 11:08 AM
Member since Apr 05th 2005
13 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1242, "Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
Aug-30-05 11:11 AM by CARWASH216

I have greddy e-manage and e-01 boost controller. what other parts do I need to supply the fuel for that amount of boost?

injectors?
fuel pump?
fuel pressure regulator?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, BOOSTED ECLIPSE, Aug-30-05 12:03 PM, #1
RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, CARWASH216, Aug-30-05 12:21 PM, #2
      RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Aug-30-05 10:25 PM, #3
           RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, hs_elrod, Aug-31-05 04:01 AM, #4
           RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, CARWASH216, Aug-31-05 05:44 AM, #5
                RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, RxR_Eclipse, Aug-31-05 07:25 AM, #6
                     RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Aug-31-05 01:40 PM, #7
                          RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, CARWASH216, Sep-01-05 05:39 AM, #8
                               RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, Teamner947, Sep-01-05 09:44 AM, #9
                                    RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, hs_elrod, Sep-05-05 08:17 AM, #10
                                    RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, hs_elrod, Sep-06-05 08:29 AM, #11
                                         RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-06-05 02:49 PM, #12
                                              RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, Teamner947, Sep-06-05 05:06 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?, hs_elrod, Sep-08-05 01:04 PM, #14

BOOSTED ECLIPSEAug-30-05 12:03 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2004
381 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1243, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by CARWASH216
I have greddy e-manage and e-01 boost controller. what other parts do I need to supply the fuel for that amount of boost? injectors? fuel pump? fuel pressure regulator?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but if you have to ask a question like this I don't think you need to be running 20psi at this point. But to answer you question, yes to all the above.

Joe
MFG Racing

95 GS
MSnS
FP3052 coming soon.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1107

http://www.cardomain.com/id/95turbogs

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

CARWASH216Aug-30-05 12:21 PM
13 posts,
#1245, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 1
Aug-30-05 12:25 PM by CARWASH216

I know I need injector, fuel pump, and regulator! but what size of injectors and what size of fuel pump? would I need a 1-1 fuel pressure regulator? or should i get rid of the e-manage and try something else? will the e-manage give me enough tuning for my setup?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonAug-30-05 10:25 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#1251, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 2

You honestly are getting ahead of yourself. you need to do a lot of reading to prepare yourself. the e-manage will work but not too many peopel have used it that far and can guide you through it. I wont tell you to go either way because you need to choose the best way for your capabilities.

20psi will be difficult on pump gas, do you realize that? you will also need some form of ignition control like a crane ignition box for example.

what do you have to monitor air/fuel mixture?
Do you have an EGT?
Do you know what to look for when listening for knock?
Have you searched the internet for fuel injector calculators?
Do you understand the difference of a 1:1 regulator versus a 12:1 rising rate regulator?

I am not being disrespectful to you at all but these are questions you need to know and consider extremely basic when tuning. If any of these seem foggy or unclear to you, then you need to spend more time learning, asking questions, and reading so you dont waste money in the long run by breakign things. If you screw up at high boost (15+) you are not replacing small things like head gaskets, you are rebuilding or replacing your motor. That would not be fun if you werent prepared for it.

My personal thoughts are to get rid of the e-manage and go with an 8 injector setup or portfueler (from Hahn Racecraft) if you arent comfortable fabricating an 8 injector setup yourself. Hahn will also give you base maps to start with and that will make things easier for you depending on your level of knowledge.

Terry

hs_elrodAug-31-05 04:01 AM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
159 posts,
#1252, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 3

Good post Terry, I'm in the same boat as you CarWash, Im still learning. I will probably start with an 8 inj setup myself. I dont know how things like e-manage or Mega Squirt work just yet so its my best choice for optimal tuning on a novice skill set. And if you are serious about your 20 psi goal then get Mximum Boost. It is a book highly revered by most of the high end tuners I've met on this forum. ALL the ansewers are there. Hope I helped ya out. Good luck with the project

I figure since I cant stop fixing the damn thing, I'll just create more problems to work on. The stock pile has begun. Parts PArts PARts PARTs PARTS!!!
I'm a novice listen to what I say and make your own conclusion. If I'm wrong tell me and I will learn. Thanks be to the 2gnt Gods may they grant me turbo and fruits of the Earth. Amen.

CARWASH216Aug-31-05 05:44 AM
13 posts,
#1253, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 3
Aug-31-05 05:46 AM by CARWASH216

I'm not going to tune the car myself I plan on taking it to a shop and having it dyno tuned. 20 psi on pump gas I don't think so, I want to hit 20 psi on race gas and only on the track. I just wanted know what will supply the amount of fuel that I need when it hit 20 psi? I hate waiting for parts to come and I want to be ready. Will 440cc injectors, a walbo 255 lph fuel pump, areomotive 1:1 regulator and my e-manage do the trick? Or do you think that I should still go for the portfueler?

Thanks

RxR_EclipseAug-31-05 07:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#1254, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 5

I think you should go with the portfueller. Its like a grand but can do what you want.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonAug-31-05 01:40 PM
8331 posts,
#1255, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 6

Well you apparently missed every point I made. Are you going to take your car to the dyno every year to retune it? I dont care who tunes your car.

At this point my advise is to discuss your car with those doing the tuning. You are not taking our advise and we will not be the people you point at when you blow your motor from lack of knowledge.

Terry

CARWASH216Sep-01-05 05:39 AM
13 posts,
#1256, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 7
Sep-01-05 05:41 AM by CARWASH216

Sorry dude but I have been taking your advise, I have been looking into the 8 injector setup. that was my plan a the beginning but I saw the e-manage and be able to tune it from in the car by the boost controller. I think that I am going to go with the 034EIC and 4 extra injectors. How big is to big for injectors? How hard is it to get a base map sarted to begin tunning it to what I want? still learning about the 034EIC.

Teamner947Sep-01-05 09:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1257, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 8

The 034EIC is an excellent controller. The only thing it doesn't do is intake temperature correction, but you will only really notice it on days where the temperature varies by a lot, like here in New England we have some days in the fall/spring where it will be 30 early in the morning and 70 by lunchtime. I would run a little lean in the morning and a little rich in the afternoon, but it wasn't catastrophic or anything. One way to reduce the error it to put slightly larger than stock injectors in the primary rail (hooked to the stock ECU) like 310's or something, and put the stock injectors in the secondary rail (hooked to the 034EIC). 310+235 = 545 cc's for each cylinder which will provide plenty of fuel for use with a 16G which is a perfect turbo for a street driven car.

With a Portfueler or a 034EIC setup you will need a 1:1 regulator. The point of the 1:1 regulator is to keep the difference in pressure between the intake manifold and the fuel system the same. This makes tuning a lot easier because the amount of fuel injected is linear, controlled by the duty cycle that the fuel computer (whether it be the stock ECU or the 034EIC) drives the fuel injector with.

BTW... If you are looking for an 034EIC I still have my old one which I have been trying to get rid of, I have modified it so that the fuel injector drivers are heat sunk to the case and the center pin which is unused by default now outputs the internal 2.5 bar MAP sensor voltage.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

hs_elrodSep-05-05 08:17 AM
159 posts,
#1265, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by ner947
BTW... If you are looking for an 034EIC I still have my old one which I have been trying to get rid of, I have modified it so that the fuel injector drivers are heat sunk to the case and the center pin which is unused by default now outputs the internal 2.5 bar MAP sensor voltage.

PM Sent

I figure since I cant stop fixing the damn thing, I'll just create more problems to work on. The stock pile has begun. Parts PArts PARts PARTs PARTS!!!
I'm a novice listen to what I say and make your own conclusion. If I'm wrong tell me and I will learn. Thanks be to the 2gnt Gods may they grant me turbo and fruits of the Earth. Amen.

hs_elrodSep-06-05 08:29 AM
159 posts,
#1269, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 9
Sep-06-05 08:29 AM by hs_elrod

Originally posted by ner947

what does this mean?

"I have modified it so that the fuel injector drivers are heat sunk to the case and the center pin which is unused by default now outputs the internal 2.5 bar MAP sensor voltage."

I guess i can deduce what is meant about the MAP sensor voltage. But what do you mean by "injector drivers are heat sunk to the case" does this mean that the load on the injector driver wires is harsh enough to need heat sinking or am I out in left field on this one?

Edited for less confusion

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-06-05 02:49 PM
8331 posts,
#1270, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 11

Nate had an map sensor voltage output setup to feed into his wideband for datalogging. He heatsinked the drivers to the case for longevity of the drivers and better heat properties.

Terry

Teamner947Sep-06-05 05:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1271, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 12
Sep-06-05 05:11 PM by ner947

Thanks Terry.

In theory (according to the datasheet for the transistors used in the 034EIC), you should be able to drive low impedence injectors (2-3 ohms) with the 034EIC with the heat-sink modification, but I've been too much of a pussy to try it. Low-Z injectors will probably really make that thing heat up since it was only designed to drive Hi-Z (10-15 ohms) injectors. The Megasquirt on the other hand, can be configured to do peak and hold which is the proper way to drive low impedence injectors instead of the 034EIC method which is to drive the injectors with a full 12 volts for the entire pulsewidth.

Then again, if you really want to use Low-Z injectors with the 034EIC you can always use beefy resistor packs to get the impedence from 2-3 ohms up to around 10 ohms.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

hs_elrodSep-08-05 01:04 PM
159 posts,
#1280, "RE: Running 20 psi what fuel components do I need?"
In response to Reply # 13

Rockin. Thanks for the info. and sorry for stealin the post. Nate I've sent the paypal. Looks like ill be boostin sooner than i thougt

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1242 Previous topic | Next topic