Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4781
View in threaded mode

Subject: "RPM drops out" Previous topic | Next topic
justins71Mar-03-10 12:38 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4781, "RPM drops out"

So having a new strange issue - just started this last fall or so after doing a re-ring/head job. The car started to miss at around 3-4k, but only seems to do it above 5psi or so. I thought maybe spark blow out from extra 70psi cylinder compression, but I was already using .35" NGK 7's. Changed my coil to Screamin Demon after that, thinking weak spark, no difference. Went to my MS setting, thinking maybe my enrichments were off (had problems with jittery TPS/MAP engaging them before), but that wasn't it. In my logs it show that my RPM's drop off briefly - never had that issue before. I checked the wiring, and the sensor, and the only think I can find is the sensor has a small crack on the tip, running part way up the side. Is it possible a small amount of oil got in there, and at that certain speed and certain pressure there's some resonance that's screwing it up? I'm kinda at a loss at this point, tried various things over the past few months with no luck so I'm hoping someone can help me out! Thanks

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
talon321Mar-03-10 11:46 PM
Member since Mar 02nd 2010
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4783, "RE: RPM drops out"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-04-10 10:44 AM by talon321

I had a similar problem with mine. The engine would start to miss around 3k, though mine missed all the time regardless of how much boost I was pushing. I replaced my plugs, plug wires, coil pack, and O2 sensors; none of these fixed the problem. It ended up being my EGR valve. I blocked it off and that solved the problem. If you haven't already checked it, that might be worth a look.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

justins71Mar-04-10 07:36 PM
466 posts,
#4784, "RE: RPM drops out"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm EGR-delete... so much for that - thanks though!

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head

96TurboGSMar-05-10 09:39 AM
Member since Dec 01st 2007
125 posts,
#4785, "RE: RPM drops out"
In response to Reply # 2

If your sensor has a deep enough crack, I would replace it right away! Have you tried swapping it with a new one from the parts store? If you get the same results take it back. If it keeps occurring around 4k (and nothing past that) and ms isn’t losing sync, then it’s probably a tuning problem. Do you have a log and msq of this?

-Rafiel

justins71Mar-05-10 10:20 AM
466 posts,
#4786, "RE: RPM drops out"
In response to Reply # 3

yeah, I'll try and find the log tonight. It's on my laptop that's piled under a ton on schoolwork at the moment. I should just try and replace it - it just seemed strange it ran fine until after the head job so that was throwing me off.

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head

justins71Mar-08-10 09:10 PM
466 posts,
#4793, "RE: RPM drops out"
In response to Reply # 4

okay, so went back to try and log it, and it was happening so fast (or at just the right time) that the RPM's weren't dropping in the log. However, it was obvious the computer saw it because it went into ASE mode, and pig-rich for a few second. I noticed my injector pulses bounced up and down severely, coordinating with my gammae graph. I am using TPS only, but it was registering from MAPdot... I went and changed the (nonused) MAPdot begin value up to max 1000, and now I haven't had any issues for a few days.

On an unrelated note, finally got it to pass inspection!! I've been having issues with high HC and NOx. Tried all sorts of spark/fuel combos, nothing really worked that well. Rebuilt the head/valves last fall, HC problem went away, and just put in a new, smaller cat (other was only a year old, but 3" - new is 2.25") and it passed with flying colors. Yeah!

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head

96TurboGSMar-08-10 11:50 PM
125 posts,
#4796, "RE: RPM drops out"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by justins71
okay, so went back to try and log it, and it was happening so fast (or at just the right time) that the RPM's weren't dropping in the log. However, it was obvious the computer saw it because it went into ASE mode, and pig-rich for a few second. I noticed my injector pulses bounced up and down severely, coordinating with my gammae graph. I am using TPS only, but it was registering from MAPdot... I went and changed the (nonused) MAPdot begin value up to max 1000, and now I haven't had any issues for a few days.

ASE should only register after cranking mode. If you see ASE anytime driving/in boost then there is a loss in the crank signal or mega squirt has reset its self. Map DOT will cause weird issues like that of a misfire but not ASE, perhaps mapdot was causing your MS to reset? The odd thing is that out of all the betas I’ve tested it started happening after ken added TPS and MAP to EAE did I start noticing it. When I experienced the misfiring like symptoms, I too had map accel/decel enrichment all the way off with a lower threshold like 200. What happened to me was the PW on all injectors 4 injector channels would spike to zero then return to regular PW (due to map decel). This would only happen in boost. Thank god I don't have inspection

-Rafiel

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-16-10 06:55 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#4800, "RE: RPM drops out"
In response to Reply # 6

A cracked Crank Pos sensor can do it. Only way to test it would be to throw it on a Vantage or Modis graphing scope and see what the signal waves look like.

Best bet is to try a good known one.

As always, Makes sure your grounds to the MS are good. No damaged harness ect.

96TurboGSMar-16-10 08:47 PM
125 posts,
#4801, "RE: RPM drops out"
In response to Reply # 7

There is an even cheaper way to check the crank signal. There is a composite/trigger logger built in tunerstudio for MS2 code 2.1.0+

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_tooth_logger.html

-Rafiel

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4781 Previous topic | Next topic