Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community 2GNT Site/Forum Questions topic #766
View in linear mode

Subject: "In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Jun-19-06 08:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#766, "Poll question: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
Jun-19-06 08:05 AM by DR1665

Please share your thoughts on the subject. Thank you.

EDIT:
While you're at it, please share your opinions on what you think attracts the most members as well as what keeps people from hanging around.

This thread is being watched. Thank you.

Poll result (113 votes)
More technical. (32 votes)Vote
More community. (5 votes)Vote
A better balance between the two. (76 votes)Vote

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, cc8balla, Jun-20-06 08:26 AM, #1
RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, slowmitsu, Jun-20-06 09:11 AM, #2
RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, TeamDR1665, Jun-20-06 11:21 AM, #3
      RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, WIDECLIPSE, Jun-20-06 11:57 AM, #4
           RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Jun-20-06 03:38 PM, #5
                RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, BDTalon, Jun-20-06 06:53 PM, #6
                RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, TeamDR1665, Jun-21-06 04:06 AM, #7
                     RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, cc8balla, Jun-21-06 04:26 AM, #8
                          RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, TeamDR1665, Jun-21-06 06:16 AM, #9
                               RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, cc8balla, Jun-21-06 11:24 AM, #10
                                    RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, TeamDR1665, Jun-21-06 12:36 PM, #11
                                         RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, cc8balla, Jun-21-06 01:04 PM, #12
                                              RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, TeamDR1665, Jun-21-06 01:25 PM, #13
                                                   RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Malenko, Jun-23-06 09:58 AM, #14
                                                        RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, totaleclipse_05, Jun-23-06 10:29 AM, #15
                                                        RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, DSMTalon, Jun-23-06 07:59 PM, #29
                RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Teamner947, Jun-23-06 11:03 AM, #17
                     RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, EclipseTenzoR, Jun-23-06 11:36 AM, #19
RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, .bs0d, Jun-23-06 10:44 AM, #16
RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, vegasdsmr, Jun-23-06 11:30 AM, #18
      RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, edxmon, Jun-23-06 12:20 PM, #20
           RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, taclipse, Jun-23-06 12:30 PM, #21
                RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Steve, Jun-23-06 12:50 PM, #22
                     RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, ez, Jun-23-06 01:19 PM, #23
                          RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, TeamDR1665, Jun-23-06 01:59 PM, #24
RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, rkelly, Jun-23-06 02:27 PM, #25
RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, schwabm, Jun-23-06 03:20 PM, #26
      RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, eclipse_gs_1512, Jun-23-06 03:41 PM, #27
           RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, saikou, Jun-23-06 05:41 PM, #28
RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-24-06 05:10 AM, #30
RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, TeamDR1665, Jun-24-06 10:47 AM, #31
RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, ez, Jun-24-06 06:01 PM, #32
RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-24-06 07:27 PM, #33
      RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, mike_d, Jun-24-06 08:22 PM, #34
      RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-24-06 10:23 PM, #35
           RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-24-06 10:58 PM, #36
                RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Logo99Dsm, Jun-26-06 05:45 AM, #37
                     RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, cc8balla, Jun-26-06 06:00 AM, #38
                          RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Logo99Dsm, Jun-26-06 06:24 AM, #39
                          RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Superman, Jun-26-06 06:28 AM, #40
                          RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, TeamDR1665, Jun-26-06 06:46 AM, #41
                               RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, THEBALLIN1, Jun-26-06 08:51 AM, #42
                                    RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, thedawg, Jun-26-06 09:32 AM, #43
                                         RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Moderatorxcasbonx, Jun-26-06 10:23 AM, #44
                                         RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, TeamDR1665, Jun-26-06 10:26 AM, #45
                                              RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, cc8balla, Jun-26-06 11:00 AM, #46
                                              RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Malenko, Jun-26-06 11:00 AM, #47
                                                   RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?, Keith2172, Jun-27-06 07:43 AM, #48

cc8ballaJun-20-06 08:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#767, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-20-06 08:30 AM by cc8balla

Not that 2gnt isn't already technical, but I'd like to see it get even more technical. I spend a lot of time here reading threads, even years old threads. It is fascinating reading, and it is how I am gaining ever so precious knowledge. This place is my reference to my car. I have found every answer by searching and asking a question here and there. In the same respect, community is needed for people to get to know each other, yadda, yadda, yadda. I voted technical.

Is 2gnt at kind of like a "crossorads" per se?

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

I contributed to the wiki!

happy p'ple

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

slowmitsuJun-20-06 09:11 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#768, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-20-06 09:11 AM by slowmitsu

PM sent Dr Iggs.

_______

BPU'd skittle

TeamDR1665Jun-20-06 11:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#769, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by cc8balla
Is 2gnt at kind of like a "crossorads" per se?

Possibly, but 2GNT in only going to change for the better. I'm just looking to get as much input as I can can before the SC makes any plans.

Thanks for your comments, fellas, and your votes, everyone else.

WIDECLIPSEJun-20-06 11:57 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2004
1528 posts,
#770, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 3

We've got like 60 or so main guys on this forum. I'm guessing that 2gnt has answered just about every single question possible. That's why we don't have any new people really joining in a whole lot.

-Roman

MR BLUNT 2gntJun-20-06 03:38 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2002
793 posts,
#771, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 4

Technical is never bad, i'm all for a NABR style ruling. Seeing millions of 16 yr olds that want to turbo their car and reinvent the wheel gets a little tiring.

It would be nice to have a gallery of some kind so that when someone is searching in past threads they will be able to see the pics that were originally posted. Having them hosted locally would be swell, or at least the ones that would benefit us from a technical standpoint. Having 11 billion kid phucks posting pics of their chicken wire front bumper mods would obvoiusly need to be weeded out. Not sure whats available from in terms of bandwidth or space but I think this would help.

400whp or bust.

BDTalonJun-20-06 06:53 PM
Member since Jun 08th 2005
153 posts,
#772, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 5

Blunt made a good point, if we ran into a band width problem, we would need more money so... we should start up a fund raiser.. i know there is donations.. but nobody really does it with out knowing what there money is going to, but i think if we told them the exact plans to the project that more people would be willing to donate some of there hard earned cash. This is IMO

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
AAHHHHHH it's the Bomex table top and bench deluxe! Get the holy wrench we need to purify..

TeamDR1665Jun-21-06 04:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#773, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by BDTalon
Blunt made a good point, if we ran into a band width problem, we would need more money so... we should start up a fund raiser.. i know there is donations.. but nobody really does it with out knowing what there money is going to, but i think if we told them the exact plans to the project that more people would be willing to donate some of there hard earned cash. This is IMO

Something like this is in the works.

We have a number of fund raising projects planned for the next year or so to fund specific improvements to 2GNT. You can count on that. Donations will always be accepted and you might even be entered into a drawing for a prize during a future fund raising event.

Lots of plans in the works...

cc8ballaJun-21-06 04:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#774, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 7
Jun-21-06 04:26 AM by cc8balla

Originally posted by DR1665
Lots of plans in the works...

Sounds like a good future for 2gnt...

Chad, I would be all for NABR rules too.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

happy p'ple

TeamDR1665Jun-21-06 06:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#775, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 8

What do you guys mean by NABR rules? Are you thinking along the lines of restricting new members' posts to a newbie forum and strict moderation of established technical sections? I know DSMtuners does something like this and it's had some success.

Something like a proving ground for new members, which gives them room to be promoted to another level?

cc8ballaJun-21-06 11:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#779, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 9
Jun-21-06 11:27 AM by cc8balla

What do you guys mean by NABR rules? Are you thinking along the lines of restricting new members' posts to a newbie forum and strict moderation of established technical sections? I know DSMtuners does something like this and it's had some success. Something like a proving ground for new members, which gives them room to be promoted to another level?

I like the rules that Tuners has, even though I'm still not a "proven" member since I've posted there maybe 20 times. The idea of a newbie forum is sound, it would weed out those not serious about the platform, which is what a tech forum is all about, but I don't think there needs to be strict moderation in the tech forums. The moderation we have now is good, IMO. Maybe it's just me, but the mere presence of the senior members/moderators was enough to compel me to search before asking a potentially asked question before. But that's just me...

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

happy p'ple

TeamDR1665Jun-21-06 12:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#780, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 10

Thanks, Jason. Appreciate your input.

cc8ballaJun-21-06 01:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#781, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 11
Jun-21-06 01:13 PM by cc8balla

Thanks, Jason. Appreciate your input.

Np, if my input is helpful, then it's worth the effort.

BTW, and this is a little off-topic, but I think TreeFrog is gone from T2G. I think he's getting an '06 Honda something with a 6 spd. Perhaps an S2K, or an Si. Just thought I'd mention that.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

happy p'ple

TeamDR1665Jun-21-06 01:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#782, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by DR1665 Thanks, Jason. Appreciate your input.
Np, if my input is helpful, then it's worth the effort. BTW, and this is a little off-topic, but I think TreeFrog is gone from T2G. I think he's getting an '06 Honda something with a 6 spd. Perhaps an S2K, or an Si. Just thought I'd mention that.

Good for him. He was a douche from day one.

MalenkoJun-23-06 09:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#789, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 13

it would be best if some guids were made out of the old threads, while searching can yeild some fantastic results, it can also get you a buttload of useless ones. Ive been takin my digital camera out everytime I do something on my car in hopes of the pictures being useful to other/future members.

Also, itd be great if the main 2gnt.com looked like the main www.mp3car.com page a simple "where do you wanna go selector" thats both easy to use, and easy to look at.

totaleclipse_05Jun-23-06 10:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#790, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 14

Since we are kind of talking about the layout, I would kind of like to see 2GNT maybe utilize the VBulletin layout. This is the only DSM forum I visit that hasn't started to use that software and I can navigate around that type pretty easily compared to this kind. Not sure if something like that is feasible, but that would be my suggestion.

On the Technical or Community, I would say lean more toward technical. I don't usually post here to see what everyone is doing or anything, I usually go here to find out answers to questions I may have or to see if there is anything I can help with. I have a local DSM board I go to for community so this is more of a techincal forum for me.

I guess it would be kinda nice to have both community and technical together so that's what my vote will be for.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

DSMTalonJun-23-06 07:59 PM
Member since Nov 13th 2005
267 posts,
#804, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 14

not that my opinion counts for anything, but heres my 2C..i
voted more technical, the information on here is great... but
i agree w/ malenko, we should try and take some of the older
posts and throw them together as a guide for whatever the
posts are related to...i mean the search function works
differently for each person, and your results depend wholly on
how you word what youre looking for...and i think that may be
a lot of the reason we get these reposts that and its hard to
dig through 20+ pages for one thing. so i think that would be
great, and it would help out the community, as it would be
easier to redirect people to those instead of flamin at
everyone who posts about relatively common information saying
"SEARCH...MUST USE THE SEARCH YOUNG SKYWALKER!" i
think thats what drives people away...and yeah...update the
forums...i mean its not bad that it has the 90's look to it,
cuz you can still read everything without digging thru
advertisements, but jazz it up a bit...

Teamner947Jun-23-06 11:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#792, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by MR BLUNT 2gnt
i'm all for a NABR style ruling

"That's A Huge Bitch"

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

EclipseTenzoRJun-23-06 11:36 AM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#794, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 17

I like a good change every once and awhile, I thought the site needed a change a few years ago but got slammed for discussing it.

So here is my chance. First off I'd like to agree that we do have 50-60 some active members that have been here for a long time and know quite a bit. It's always good to attract a new audience because there is always something new to be learned. I think we should update the visual because yes it is the 21st century. And maybe add some things to the site to help members interact a little more and know a little more about the members of the site and their vehicles. I'd like to see a photo gallery that members can have, with somewhat of a dsmregistry type setup. A much more user friendly layout, updated reviews/technical maybe organize that better and make it easier to find. I could go on, and on. I think we will gradually make the change and 2gnt will be improved upon alot. If finances are a tight, I personally wouldnt mind pitching in some money to help raise bandwidth and help with site costs.

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

.bs0dJun-23-06 10:44 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
#791, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 0

technical vote here.

i think the site needs re-designed and forums updated. the content is great, but visually, 1990's IMO.

keep movin' forward! Thanks for all the great info, we alwyas want more and more!

vegasdsmrJun-23-06 11:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#793, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 16

i voted technical..

i came here back in 1999 when i bought my 2gnt...

i still come back around just to shoot the shit and see what peeps are up to..

i dont post too much nonsense as to not add any clutter to the site..

cheers

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

edxmonJun-23-06 12:20 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#795, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 18

I know im a Boon, compared to all of you, but here is my opinion. I voted "A better balance between the both" because some of the stuff is still to technical for me. You guys use a bunch of acronyms and nicknames for things I dont even know, and I'm kinda scared to ask because im afraid to get yelled at and stuff. So i believe building a stronger community will in turn invite people to really get involved and feel that they can come here for answers aswell as contribute to the already enourmous amount of knowledge. Anyways thats just my 2cents.

On anoher point, I also agree with a more modern lay-out. 2GNT is nice and simple, easily navigated (for me atleast) But I would like to make it look nicer. I dont know if im coming across clear here, but what I mean are things like: Instead of a reply "link" a "button" and stuff like that you know? In short "Windows Xp" it.

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

taclipseJun-23-06 12:30 PM
Member since Apr 12th 2004
200 posts,
#796, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 20

I voted technical. I would also enjoy a more friendly layout somewhat similar to honda-tech or Tamparacing. I have been visiting this site for years as a lurker, I have learned what i needed to learn and now I am at a point where I am confident about my knowledge and I am comfortable enough to post! You guys will probably be seeing alot more of me!

SteveJun-23-06 12:50 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2003
1542 posts,
#797, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 21

One more tech vote..maybe easier to find tutorials for moding since there are always people asking the same questions. Kinda like the mod list tuners has maybe?

Steve-o
Top secret.

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
I guess I'll just have to live with a 500+ hp AWD 4-banger.

ezJun-23-06 01:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#798, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 22

You know what would be the most useful and awesome techical thing 2gnt could have?

---> an ELECTRONICS reference, a concise map of the car electronics. We have the factory manual, chilton's, and the search engine, and yet it's still like pulling a tooth to figure out electronic problems with these cars.

Okay, I'll just come out and say it - let's have a collaborative effort to map out every wire/relay/switch in a stnd base car with PICTURES. In the style that azdave does it - he makes post with a digi pic and an arrow and you know exactly what he's talking about.

It would cover door switch relays, ignition, every sensor, etc...

If you are seriously asking about getting more technical - this is what I think

It would be a reference to everyone, from the old schoolers who simply want to know what color stripe on what color wire they need to splice into for their turbo setups, to the nu-bees that want to know how to use an ohmeter to check resistance of their coil packs.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

TeamDR1665Jun-23-06 01:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#799, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 23

Awesome! Keep it coming guys! This is good shit.

And we'll be watching for you, lurker, dude.

rkellyJun-23-06 02:27 PM
Member since Aug 30th 2004
22 posts,
#800, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-23-06 02:28 PM by rkelly

I too voted technical. However I also feel it's important to have an established friendly community to attract new members and make them feel comfortable playing an active role. Me myself have been a member of 2gnt.com for a while but don't post unless I know i can genuinly contribute some knowledge. But I must say I search this site on a daily basis for something, just to gain knowledge for my future plans. This site is an asset to me becuase of the technical information available.

Thanks to everyone

Hahn Stage I Turbo
DC Sport Front and Rear Strut Bars
Current Mods in the works:
Complete Engine rebuild with 8.8.1 Je pistons and Eagle Rods

New Toy: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T

schwabmJun-23-06 03:20 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2005
72 posts,
#801, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 25

I don't think that we should do it like dsm Tuner. There are people like me who have been around for a year or so but they dont post that much.

1998 eclipse rs on its way to become alive

eclipse_gs_1512Jun-23-06 03:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#802, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 26

I personally like 2gnt as is right now...but my vote only partially counts cause I went to the dark side

2007 wrx

saikouJun-23-06 05:41 PM
Member since Nov 24th 2005
454 posts,
#803, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 27

i unno, got bored.

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-24-06 05:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#805, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-24-06 05:14 AM by bullettdsm

Ok Brian, here goes,

I want to say that this is just MY opinion. This is the way that I FEEL about the site. I am NOT in this for the arguement. I am NOT grinding an axe.

I did not vote because I feel that there is a good mix of communtiy and technical in here. I use this site constantly (as well as others) to research. It is a wealth of info that I reference to others on other sites. There are some very experienced and bright guys on here.

Now that being said, I've always had a problem with the "tight-nitness" of the community. There are a group of guys who have been on here for a long time who know each other and have set up a repoire, friendship, comraderie together. Nothing wrong with that. But with that, I do not feel like there has been an effort to incorporate new people and different concepts in that "circle of trust" (my apologies to Dinero ). You see it time and time again (as edxmon says "I'm kinda scared to ask because I'm afraid to get yelled at and stuff"). These are the guys that you NEED to incorporate so that 2gnt can thrive (not just sustain).

I really like tuners' way of starting these guys. The new member demarkation lets others know that this person COULD be a BANME! to cars. This allows the new member the "safety" of being under a heading where they can feel free to ask something without getting "yelled at". If you look at tuners, you can see that the "BANME!s" get a lot more leeway when they get answers than others would. This is as it should be. Trial by fire does not work that well.

BUT, I also think the 'wiseman" tag is thrown around a little too easily over there. IMO

As for the different views or concepts. I have seen various people get mad and berate others because they have taken a different stance than the "company line". It has happened to me. You can't have progress by stifeling different ideas with angry answers of "you know nothing about your car". Progress comes with experimentation. In racing (or just cars for that matter), there a thousand different ways to get to the same spot. Some people act like there is only one way. Yeah, I know, opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. And yeah, some are stinky and useless (opinions I'm talking about here) but by taking the position that all differing opinions are wrong you go nowhere.

My background is such that I have nothing to prove to anyone. I have had guys on waiting lists for months, waiting for me to build them an engine. I'm not the hot-shot, brainiac, mechanic but I'm confident in my abilities. BUT, as I post, there are others that are reading and listening to the answers to my posts. Those are the guys I am concerned with. They are trying to learn and they are looking at the condecesion and derision of the answers. Which makes them afarid to post, or take the answer seriously.

I feel like I have put my money where my mouth is. 15 seconds was touted as a huge milestone to hit on this site. I have taken certain positions about what was needed to get there, and some of these were positions that were contrary to "the company line". I specifically did those things for the reason of testing. I made my positions and I adhered to them. The Jeep TB (too big), the Port and Polish of NA (unnecessary and loss of power), the stock valve train on a high rev, high lift engine (can't support it, valves will float) to name a few. My money, my labor, and it worked.

But the funny thing is when I crossed the threshold I felt like I got the "cold shoulder". 420a-Tnthewerks said it himself, "WTF is wrong with 2gnt? Nobody seems to care". I posted this on May 27 and the only responses I got were from 420a and Chris (who I knew from tuners) until 3 days later on the 30th. This is community? Not if you aren't one of the chosen ones.

I know that this sounds like I'm grinding an axe or being a baby or something, but I'm really not. I don't need a ticker tape parade or anything. I really did this out of my own curiousity. I run 14.8's all day long now, I am seriously looking at breaking 14 with a 420a NA. You talk about community and all; well, when there has been talk about doing something for years and someone finally does it, it should receive a bit more attention than days old acknowledgement.

As for a prize giveaway type thing to raise funds, I think that's a great idea! I'm not really sure how that would work. Would the prize be maybe a gift cetificate from a vendor or something? It would be hard to make it a specific part of some kind. But I like the idea in principle.

EZ, I totally get your drift in coming up with a visual on the wiring. That would be very helpful. But wouldn't that require someone to take over the project as an overseer of sorts who could categorize the pics etc.? I know the mods have more than their share of work to do. Maybe a post on this to coordinate it?

Oh yeah, edxmon, the abbreviations, LOL! Those can be tough. You go on a search, you get your threads and start to read the info. You are reading and understanding everything. Boy this search works great! You are about to read into the answers to your question when BAM! You run into an afc, ecu, isc, tps, abc whatever. And now you can't really get the gist of the answer. I feel your pain. I wonder if we can set-up a BANME! section for definitions of the acronyms etc.? Just a thought.

Well, there's my 10 cents,

MB

And one more thing; I don't see backwards boon is a bad word. But my apologies if anyone was offended

TeamDR1665Jun-24-06 10:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#806, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 30

Mark,

Two things:

1. I don't think anyone here in "the family" so to speak, has any problems with new members sharing their differing opinions, so long as these new members demonstrate a degree of understanding that the people who have been here long term have seen people touting new ideas come and go without ever following through and do not take a difference of opinion too personally. Just as the 4G63 guys get condescending towards the 420A community when a 420A owner whines or complains when told that his 200whp NA dream with basic, name brand bolt-ons from NOPI is a pipe dream. Anyone who spends an average amount of time online in forums like this one can attest to just how tricky it can be to read between the lines when it comes to sarcasm being friendly prodding or malicious taunting. I think you're on the right tip with that sort of thing lending itself to miscommunication that results in people getting the wrong idea, tempers flaring, and drama ensuing. Good point.

2. You saying I don't know my shit on Tuners? From what I've seen, the NT Wisemen definitely know their stuff. I've yet to see anyone who actively participates with a level of intelligence *not* be recognized. In fact, I became more active over there in the hopes that I might help some of the guys who are well-read, if not well-experienced get proper recognition so they might keep the bar raised over there. I would hope you agree that things in the NT forum over there on Tuners have become a bit better over the last few months.

I've got a few ideas for things like mentors and community ambassadors that will help introduce new members to this community and help them feel more welcome and at home here. The challenge comes in our wanting to grow this community in all respects while not compromising our way of life, if you will. We don't want to foster an environment where new owners feel entitled to this information and that the existing members owe them anything, but we want them to show that effort, that follow-through, will demonstrate to the rest of us that they are not just another lazy slacker who is going to stop you at the gas station and tell you all about how they have 300hp all motor and "It's just not tuned right now."

It's comments like yours, and those of everyone else who is hitting this thread with sincere, mature responses, that will help those of us with the power to affect change in this site on an administrative level properly implement new ideas that we can all come together, as a unified community, and show the rest of the automotive enthusiast communities that a 2GNT DSM is nothing to write off at first glance.

Thanks for your input, Mark. I do appreciate it greatly, as I do all the input in this thread thus far.

ezJun-24-06 06:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#809, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"

Originally posted by bullettdsm
EZ, I totally get your drift in coming up with a visual on the wiring. That would be very helpful. But wouldn't that require someone to take over the project as an overseer of sorts who could categorize the pics etc.? I know the mods have more than their share of work to do. Maybe a post on this to coordinate it?

ok then I'll oversee it. If there was a way I could make a webpage for it, I would, but I don't have any way of doing that.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-24-06 07:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#810, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"

Originally posted by bullettdsm
You go on a search, you get your threads and start to read the info. You are reading and understanding everything. Boy this search works great! You are about to read into the answers to your question when BAM! You run into an afc, ecu, isc, tps, abc whatever. And now you can't really get the gist of the answer.

I like you. You've gott he most important vote.

*cough*

http://www.2gnt.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=4

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

mike_dJun-24-06 08:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
718 posts,
#811, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 33

I voted more community. I've been here since the old board in '98 and I've noticed a decline in posts in the technical forums over the last couple years. If you search through the old stuff (reason why I don't post a whole lot) you can find your answer most of the time so I don't see why or how the site could be more technical.

I use to read this board religously every day and recently I find my self comming here less and less. We havent had anything new or interesting happen to this platform in a long time so most of the time I just check out the classifieds and the pits. If the site went more community focused it would probably keep the members like myself comming back.

95 Talon ESi-T

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-24-06 10:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#812, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 33

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by bullettdsm You go on a search, you get your threads and start to read the info. You are reading and understanding everything. Boy this search works great! You are about to read into the answers to your question when BAM! You run into an afc, ecu, isc, tps, abc whatever. And now you can't really get the gist of the answer.
I like you. You've gott he most important vote. *cough* http://www.2gnt.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=4

LOL! Ask and yee shall receive

MB

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-24-06 10:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#813, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 35

Brian,

How did you figure out I was talking about you ? Damn, you're good!

Seriously, what I've seen is what seemed to be a sudden influx of wisemen after tuners switched over to their current set-up. This is not a knock on their abilities/experience/knowledge. That may have been just part of the transition. What I didn't notice until now, was the specific demarkation of N/T wiseman. I like that a lot.

I have to admit that I like the direction that tuners went in with their new set-up. I'm not super fond of the "greenie" concept (it can lead to favoritism among friends. Though apparently they have a scoring system that helps with that) BUT it seems to have made things much more civil and helpful over there. People aren't as quick to jump all over someone and they seem to want to point people in the right direction.

I absolutely agree with you on the "entitlement vs effort" concept. The new owner does need to "pay his dues" of searching and learning. That is the basis of retention of information.

Crap, I've been up all night and this post is not quite as "eloquent" as I would like it to be (super fond? WTF?). But I hope you get the gist.

MB

Logo99DsmJun-26-06 05:45 AM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
7 posts,
#814, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 36

not sure if i count here but i voted for both

Tech: this site is the best i have found for our cars. i read the fourms for a few hours each day. if it wasnt for you guys i believe i would've blown somthing up by now.

Community: yes i know there is the (how nice you made a post now go read the tech fourms till your eyes bleed and your girl leaves you) attitude. but i agree with the fact the some people do need that. but for the majority it would be nice to be able to post and ask the odd dumb question without getting the holy wrench smack upside the head.

Just my .02...either way its still best site out the IMO

99 GS...n/t..for now

cc8ballaJun-26-06 06:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#815, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 37

Originally posted by Logo99Dsm
not sure if i count here

Why wouldn't you count here? I'm sure Brian and the rest of the SC are happy to hear from nnew members. Everyone has a voice, remember that. It's just the people with stupid voices that get the shit.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

happy p'ple

Logo99DsmJun-26-06 06:24 AM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
7 posts,
#816, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 38

Thanks bro.

99 GS...n/t..for now

SupermanJun-26-06 06:28 AM
Member since Mar 19th 2004
835 posts,
#817, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"

I have been here for a long time, longer than most of you. Granted I dont have my 2g anymore (well i do but i dont, its in florida, and i am in georgia), but I think it should be a balance of both. I know my car had its problems, and i could find the answer using the search or just by asking, but I like to chill and talk with folks as well. I havent been on in quite a while, but my new job doesnt have internet and I cant get on as often. But I will say that 2gnt is still and will always be my homepage!!

Superman aka TJEclipse

tjeclipse@yahoo.com or TJEclipse on Google Talk
boomin with 2 10's in tha trunk

RIP Mama 7/13/04

Original Member for the inside the web days, member # 58 on the new forums!

http://www.facebook.com/tjeclipse

TeamDR1665Jun-26-06 06:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#818, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"

Originally posted by Logo99Dsm not sure if i count here
Why wouldn't you count here? I'm sure Brian and the rest of the SC are happy to hear from nnew members. Everyone has a voice, remember that. It's just the people with stupid voices that get the shit.

Everyone who steps up to the mic and offers sincere commentary such as yours counts. This is actually my favorite thread on the board right now.

THEBALLIN1Jun-26-06 08:51 AM
Member since Sep 28th 2004
176 posts,
#819, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 41

NABR rules is great imo because it forces people to be active members before posting in the forsale section and such...

This is why dsmtrader.com is closed because of the easy access to the site and the way many scammers manipulated users.

-EE

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/>

thedawgJun-26-06 09:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#820, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 42

Team NABR Forum Rules

# Your display name must be set to some variation of your first and last name. For example, John Doe, Doe John, jdoe, johndoe, and johnd are acceptable. Exceptions exist for veteran members, but the use of Internet monikers has been deprecated. If an admin or moderator asks you to adjust your display name, then you must conform.

# Do not take any information from our Forums and post it to other sites. We have various measures in place to link your login name to your activity. Violators will lose their account.

# Your full name is required in your profile. If you have concerns, please see our privacy policy.

# Your full geographic location is required in your profile. For example: 'Birmingham, AL' not 'Alabama'. If you have concerns, please see our privacy policy.

# Speak English, use proper grammar and do not use internet slang or teen speak. Terms like 'lol', 'rofl', etc. are not allowed.

# FNGs are not allowed to use the Parts Trader in any shape, form or fashion without prior approval from an admin.

# Do not make introductory posts when you become a member. We don't care to swap pleasantries. Instead, get yourself active in real threads and make a name for yourself the right way.

# Always search before posting a new thread. Hopefully you can find something we haven't already discussed.

# Do not hide your email address on the board. You must keep it visible to other users.

# Do not post images in threads. Instead, reference them using links.

ModeratorxcasbonxJun-26-06 10:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#821, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 43
Jun-26-06 10:24 AM by xcasbonx

I voted for a better balance between the both.

I think you hit the nail on the head Brian about new members needing to display an amount of effort, understanding, and follow-through with their questions/posts. I think the hardest part is for new members that have new ideas, how are they to know that some of their ideas have been thrown out there before by older members who have came and gone and never followed-through? I guess you would have to be able to carry yourself well enough to handle criticism from others...which goes back to what I said about needing members to display understanding and ability.

I think the hardest thing here would be trying to come up with some kind of notice or bulletin to new and existing members, that would let them know that posting "OMG HELP ME CAR WONT START" and then in the thread they have no reasoning or state whats happening when they turn the key etc. I think you've already done something similiar to this, Brian. Maybe on the main site we can add a RULES link or something like that...you get my point I think.

On the pages graphics/style...personally I've grown attached to the visuals of 2GNT. Sure the home page could use some sprucing up, but I think the actual forums are layed out very well for reading and making navigation simple. A lot of other forums (Not necesesarily car forums) I've noticed they seem like they are out of this world and are a pain to navigate. This is something I would not like to see happen to 2GNT...again thats just my opinion.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1185

TeamDR1665Jun-26-06 10:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#822, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 43

Haha. That's right. I remember being one of those morons who wasn't smart enough to follow instructions and, so, was denied membership. Ah well. I'm on too many forums as it is.

Back to our backyard, I definitely think there should be some more rules pertaining to how things are posted in our technical forums. If we have the best database of technical information for the 2GNT, then we should act like it, however I don't think we need to create interest based on exclusivity of membership.

At the same time, perhaps we could have invitation-only forums for certain subjects. People could read through them, but not post unless vouched for.

Hmmm...

cc8ballaJun-26-06 11:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#823, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 45
Jun-26-06 11:03 AM by cc8balla

At the same time, perhaps we could have invitation-only forums for certain subjects. People could read through them, but not post unless vouched for. Hmmm...

Good point. Then if the person granted access to those exclsive forums makes an ass of himself (or herself for you ladies out there) could be denied access, but still be able to read the forum. And also agreed about stepping up and making stricter rules in the tech section. This is the best 2gnt database on the intarweb, so it should be treated with professionalism, and not constant questions that have been answered 200 times before.

It would be NABR style, as some of us want, including myself, but not as strict so it is to the liking of others. I'd like to get on NABR, just to see what it's like, and maybe learn a little more. That's if they have the tech database 2gnt does. Question though, how would it be determined if a member is "qualified" to be in the "exclusive" forums? Would there be a training ground per se? Or a rep points system like Tuners has?

Damn guys, if only government would work as good as we seem to be in this thread. Rock on.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

happy p'ple

MalenkoJun-26-06 11:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#824, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 45

some sort of time and thread count goal needing to be reached before allowing access to the classified is still an idea I fully support. I absolutely hate it when I see "FS:ECLIPSE STUFF" click it, and its the members first post.

Also, I like the idea of having geographical data mandatory, especially for the classifieds.

Anyways, back to lurking

Keith2172Jun-27-06 07:43 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#827, "RE: In which direction would you like to see 2GNT move?"
In response to Reply # 47

I too am big on the idea of State and city being included in SN's, but this is more to sustain my own particular penchant for stalking. I haven't found a single 2GNT'r within 100miles of me (Except for Ivan when he occasionally makes it up here) and I'm lonely. Maybe a better way to meet local 2gnt'rs, like a regional sub-forumn or something.

Hosting of pics would be great, it's always been hard for me to figure out how to post pics, and I've always hated how the pictures have no uniform size/display (and that damned number tag that Photobucket attaches).

Changing the background to a darker color may make it easier on the eyes, this is a bitch suggestion, but anything is welcome right?

Now this is asking a lot more of the mods, but maybe a mod or two that are always in chat specifcally for technical advice, or a dedicated tech chat room, with a little flag that states when a deity is present. Something so that you always have someone to go bounce shit off of when you're workin' on a new project and need to get info now.

Cheese, just because no one else has suggested it yet.

Glad to see you guys taking steps in the right direction, 2GNT has always been a great place for knowledge, but has been rather boring lately with the constant barrage of same questions and other little nuances. And thanks for reminding me to donate a little cash, I know it's been a while (sorry guys)

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

Top Team 2GNT Community 2GNT Site/Forum Questions topic #766 Previous topic | Next topic