Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #97058
View in linear mode

Subject: "Clunk, Clunk!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
95Eclipse302Mar-14-06 02:53 PM
Member since Jan 01st 2006
245 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#97058, "Clunk, Clunk!!!"

OK, So If I try a burnout or take off in a higher gear my car feels like its clunking as if something is loose. I can hear it and feel it under my feet. Im thinking its a worn/loose motormount or something in that area. When I start my car the engine shakes a good bit as if its a little loose. What are common things to check for? Thanks a lot.

Thanks, Brandon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!, 95Eclipse302, Mar-14-06 03:11 PM, #1
RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!, ModeratorVX100, Mar-14-06 03:20 PM, #2
RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!, 95Eclipse302, Mar-14-06 03:53 PM, #3
      RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!, 95Eclipse302, Mar-14-06 03:56 PM, #4
           RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!, 95_ESi_Person, Mar-14-06 06:15 PM, #5
                RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!, 95Eclipse302, Mar-15-06 09:43 AM, #6
                     RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!, 95_ESi_Person, Mar-15-06 09:47 AM, #7
                          RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!, 95Eclipse302, Mar-15-06 10:09 AM, #8

95Eclipse302Mar-14-06 03:11 PM
245 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#97059, "RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Actually Im thinking motor mounts. I can accelerate and let off and do it again in a lower gear and I hear the clunk. Which mounts are common to go and how can I check each one? Thanks

Thanks, Brandon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorVX100Mar-14-06 03:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#97060, "RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-14-06 03:26 PM by VX100

If that happens during a burnout, you might be simply wheel hopping the car. New/stiffer motor mounts would help to keep wheel hop down, along with gentler launches, better suspension... blah blah blah and if your mounts are worn, well you'd need to replace them anyway so you know the rule, if you have to replace it, upgrade...

As for taking off in a high gear, I think that would be simply be from you lugging the engine, if it's just noise and you don't really FEEL anything. But if the mount is messed up you'd feel it then, and maybe all the time depending on how bad.

I'd check the motor mount that's easily visible first; the one on the top passenger side of the engine bay. That mount tends to go with our engine/motor mount setup. That mount wore out on my old saturn, and I mean completly as in metal touching metal, it mde for a very loud car.

If not that mount then just take a look at the other three, but the one under where the battery is will be a bit of a hassle to get at. It will be easy to look at the one on top of the lower cross member. The 4th one is on the tranny and will be a bit of a hassle too, but look at the two easiest ones to get at first (the passenger side and cross member mounts) and it will probably be those if they are getting bad. Just look for tears in the rubber. You can fill them with that polyeurthane foam as a stop gap if you need to, and if they are not completly worn out.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

95Eclipse302Mar-14-06 03:53 PM
245 posts,
#97061, "RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

I kinda explained it wrong, I havent done a burnout in my car because of this problem. If I try a burnout without dumping clutch after going that is more when it does it, it wont spin, just a clunk. Its not wheel hop, I have experienced that in my old neon. But How can I check motor mounts, like I kno how to find them lol but what do they look like/do when worn? Also did you read about how if im driving and floor it, like in 2nd, it will clunk each time I floor it/ letoff/f loor it/ let off. This problem is why I am scared to burnout by dumping clutch I am afraid its gonna fuck somthing up lol.

Thanks, Brandon

95Eclipse302Mar-14-06 03:56 PM
245 posts,
#97062, "RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

Just re-read your post. So if rubber is cracked/missing/torn. Does that mean they are wearing?

Thanks, Brandon

95_ESi_PersonMar-14-06 06:15 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#97069, "RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 95Eclipse302
Just re-read your post. So if rubber is cracked/missing/torn. Does that mean they are wearing?

No, that means that they have already been worn, and are bad = new mounts for you!

95Eclipse302Mar-15-06 09:43 AM
245 posts,
#97080, "RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!"
In response to Reply # 5
Mar-15-06 09:44 AM by 95Eclipse302

The top one on the passenger side I think is really fucked lol. The rubber is cracked and the 2 round parts on both sides are real loose and I can move them a lot. Is it gone? Ill check others today and post up on them.

Also would motor mount inserts fix my problems? What are they?

Thanks, Brandon

95_ESi_PersonMar-15-06 09:47 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#97081, "RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!"
In response to Reply # 6
Mar-15-06 09:47 AM by 95_ESi_Person

Originally posted by 95Eclipse302
The top one on the passenger side I think is really fucked lol. The rubber is cracked and the 2 round parts on both sides are real loose and I can move them a lot. Is it gone? Ill check others today and post up on them.

Side ones (flappy discs) move a lot normally (at least mine do). Rubber cracked... bad, or going bad.

Mine you can see where it's torn all the way around the edges of that side mount.

I will be replacing all four of mine in the future as long as having to helicoil the holes for the rear mount.

I have one last long trip to make in that car (a goodbye trip ) and then in about a month it will be put in storage and the tear down process will begin.

95Eclipse302Mar-15-06 10:09 AM
245 posts,
#97082, "RE: Clunk, Clunk!!!"
In response to Reply # 7
Mar-15-06 10:16 AM by 95Eclipse302

Ok, so I checked um out.

Passenger Side Mount: Looks good, no tears or cracks at all except the two floppy things.

One on crossmember under Rad. Fan. No cracks or tears, looks smooth.

I havent checked the other two(rear and under battery tray.) Will do that today.

If These other 2 are fine, what else could cause this clunking?

Anyway to test my ball joints? If they are bad its recall time. LOL

EDIT; Just read mount filling tutorial, Imma just fill um with urethane if they need it , so forget the motormount problems. If it is NOT THE MOUNTS, what else to check for?

Thanks, Brandon

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #97058 Previous topic | Next topic