Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #92420
View in linear mode

Subject: "Acc. Belt Squeelin" Previous topic | Next topic
95EclipseGS n FLAug-18-05 09:03 AM
Member since Aug 16th 2005
29 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92420, "Acc. Belt Squeelin"

I Bought a new Accs. belt to put on becuase the one on there is about to break. SO i put it on fine, but i cant seem to tighten it up to where it wont squeel. It makes a noise everytime i shift at an high rpm. Regular drivin its fine but im afraid if i get on it that belt will come flying. Ive tried loosening the idler pulley mnaking it tight then tighten down the tensioner but it seems like its not working. I dont know. Any advice?

95 Eclipse GS - CAI, 2.5" Cat Back, GST Rims.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin, joeck76, Aug-18-05 09:08 AM, #1
RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin, midnitetill678, Aug-18-05 06:01 PM, #2
      RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin, silverarrow, Aug-19-05 07:10 PM, #3
           RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin, Talontaxi, Aug-21-05 04:20 PM, #4
                RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin, SPL_Eclipse, Aug-21-05 08:45 PM, #5
                     RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin, ForceFed, Aug-23-05 10:52 AM, #6
                          RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin, 95EclipseGS n FL, Aug-24-05 07:02 AM, #7
                               RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin, Talontaxi, Aug-24-05 02:06 PM, #8
                                    F&F cited regarding technical driving question! Dude that's hot!, silverarrow, Aug-26-05 08:35 AM, #9
                                    RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin, 95EclipseGS n FL, Sep-14-05 06:57 AM, #10

joeck76Aug-18-05 09:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92421, "RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin"
In response to Reply # 0

make sure you have the powersteering pump loose and before tightning the tensioner make sure the pump is as far back as it can go and make sure you have the right belts

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Custom stage 2 hahn turbo kit
Hahn Super 16g turbo (ceramic coated)
Hahn manifold (ceramic coated)
Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn intercooler piping smic
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs
A-pillar w/boost, a/f, oil pressure gauges

New Addition: 2007 Eclipse GT 6 speed

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

midnitetill678Aug-18-05 06:01 PM
Member since Jan 19th 2005
176 posts,
#92429, "RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin"
In response to Reply # 1

what caused the belt to start to wear in the first place was it just age? you could have something rubbing up against it or a bearing thats starting to fail.

*98 eclipse rs
*2005 srt4 (screw the warranty let the modifications begin)

silverarrowAug-19-05 07:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
178 posts,
#92454, "RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin"
In response to Reply # 2
Aug-19-05 07:15 PM by silverarrow

imo your desription indicates loose belt: i had the same problem that would pop up only when i was pulling 4ucktarded downshifts (before i learned to double-clutch and match revs). the jolt of going up a thousand rpm had the belt squeeling like an entire pig farm. go back to the tensioner and make sure you are moving it out more.

*edit - if the problem becomes consistent even at idle, like this guy who is posting RIGHT NOW,
http:/forums.2gnt.comdcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=77782&mode=full

it is most likely the tensioner bearing. i would put maintenance issues like this in the general discussion in the future to get more hits.

Proud owner of a '95. Johnny Tran says the '95 VTEC just kicked in, yo.

RICE: AEM Short Ram, CI 55mm Throttle Body, GS-T Muffler, Self-Made Ground Wire Kit, Caulk, Duct Tape,
and "Stage 1 Weight Reduction" aka screws and bolts always left over from working on car.

TalontaxiAug-21-05 04:20 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2004
201 posts,
#92482, "RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin"
In response to Reply # 3

Or you could just do away with the tensioner assembly,as I know several people have. It tends to throw belts at higher rpms and make them squeel, I threw 4 belts before I said screw it and took the damn thing off and have'nt had a promblem since, also the tensioner pulley might have a glazing on it and will make belts sqeek. Just an idea if it becomes a persistant promblem.

SPL_EclipseAug-21-05 08:45 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#92488, "RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin"
In response to Reply # 4

are you SURE its the belt? it could be an exhaust/intake/vacuum leak making that "squeal" sound. thats very common on the 420a at high RPM. assuming youve tightened the belt the right way and theres no fluids on it, thats my best guess.

BTW..if it is the belt, watch out for your coolent overflow resivoir. if the acc. belt comes off at high speeds it will put a nice gash into the resivoir.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

ForceFedAug-23-05 10:52 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2003
153 posts,
#92543, "RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin"
In response to Reply # 5

Yeah, if the belt shreds it will take out the coolant reservoir hose out!

Why don't you try using a dayco cogged belt. They work really good and daycos are really good brand too! See if that does the trick!

When is the money spending going to stop on this fucking car?!

95EclipseGS n FLAug-24-05 07:02 AM
29 posts,
#92566, "RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin"
In response to Reply # 6

I knew i was at the right place...the car has some serious rust inside the engine bay. The belts looked factory and were very worn . The one on the crank and alt is a Denso... I dont know the other...i have to look. I actually ended up buying the Dayco belt i had no idea what it was just looked better. Yeah i did downshift it and thats when it happened. I was more worried about what the belt hit when it flew off. I noticed the black part on one of the ac lines was ripped off and i smelt coolant in the enginebay...saw just a tad bit but cant find were it is coming from. It also looked as if the belt was running at a slight angle like something is old and ready to go...

Also whats this double clutching rev matching thing...would that be pressing the clutch in reving it high and letting it go in the same gear??? I know this downshifting bit is kinda of rough on the car.

TalontaxiAug-24-05 02:06 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2004
201 posts,
#92578, "RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by 95EclipseGS n FL
I knew i was at the right place...the car has some serious rust inside the engine bay. The belts looked factory and were very worn . The one on the crank and alt is a Denso... I dont know the other...i have to look. I actually ended up buying the Dayco belt i had no idea what it was just looked better. Yeah i did downshift it and thats when it happened. I was more worried about what the belt hit when it flew off. I noticed the black part on one of the ac lines was ripped off and i smelt coolant in the enginebay...saw just a tad bit but cant find were it is coming from. It also looked as if the belt was running at a slight angle like something is old and ready to go... Also whats this double clutching rev matching thing...would that be pressing the clutch in reving it high and letting it go in the same gear??? I know this downshifting bit is kinda of rough on the car.

Double clutching and heel toe braking are to different things, you don't need to double clutch since you have these amazing things called synchros in your gear box, as for heel toe braking its definatly easier on your car. Search the subject and you'll find lots of info. In our cars with my size 12 boots on I find it easier to brake with one side of my foot and tap the gas with the other half, I can't do it the same way with bare feet though. It depends how big your feet are as to how it would be easiest to do it, just don't try and do it your first time in traffic otherwise you could very well hit someone.

silverarrowAug-26-05 08:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
178 posts,
#92645, "F&F cited regarding technical driving question! Dude that's hot!"
In response to Reply # 8
Aug-26-05 08:36 AM by silverarrow

double clutch downshifting is still easier on a car even if it has a synchronized gear-box. think of the clutch (wear), and think of the synchros. synchros wear out too! not to mention that the act of downshifting for power or a quick burst of speed is negated if you just drag the clutch against the new gear, thereby slowing the car down. if you are going to take the time to rev-match (heel and toe while braking, which i cant do right, or even just to get into the powerband) you might as well double-clutch because it wastes no time in that situation.

downshifting while maintaining speed, without matching revs, puts a lot of strain on the belts too: if they aren't tight enough this is an easy way to find out: it makes a horrendous noise. thats what i was saying, originally.

double-clutch downshifting is cool anyways because Gino Torretta said he does it all the time in F&F, especially when drag-racing, and anyone who double-clutches it on an upshift in a drag race obviously knows a LOT more about cars than you, anyway SO THARE.

Proud owner of a '95. Johnny Tran says the '95 VTEC just kicked in, yo.

RICE: AEM Short Ram, CI 55mm Throttle Body, GS-T Muffler, Self-Made Ground Wire Kit, Caulk, Duct Tape,
and "Stage 1 Weight Reduction" aka screws and bolts always left over from working on car.

95EclipseGS n FLSep-14-05 06:57 AM
29 posts,
#93129, "RE: Acc. Belt Squeelin"
In response to Reply # 8

Alright a month later and the belt is gone. I was sitting at the light talking on the phone with the AC on and then went to go and heard thump thump thump thump.....soon as i heard it i killed the ac and tried to get over to check it. ( Now i did run her a lil hard but this happened about 15 mins after) When i was getting over i noticed i had no power steering so i knew what it was. So i get out sure enough belt is off but no in half still in full contact...except half of its missing!!(i also thought this was my cause of squeelin too.) But when i cranked it up to get her home is still squeeled so now i have the belt problem and the squeeling problem. Maybe im doing something wrong when im tightening it so im gonna put it on tight it as much asa i can and take it somewhere to get it within specs.... Now as far as the squeeling goes any clues where i should start checking. Car seems to be running great i was even thinking of putting a UDP but now i dont know.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #92420 Previous topic | Next topic