Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #75583
View in linear mode

Subject: "Check Engine Light!!??" Search result list | First match | Last match
LoweredEclipse99Jun-03-04 06:20 PM
Member since May 07th 2004
22 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#75583, "Check Engine Light!!??"

Hey what's up fellas??? Since you guys have always seemed to be on point with your answers, I've got a question for you. The other day, I was doing about 70 on the expressway, and my check engine light came on. It remained on thereafter. I had to pull the negative terminal on the battery to clear the computer. Then the car has been good, but today the light came on again. This time, It cam on during a somewhat spirited acceleration. Again, I had to clear the computer, because the light would not go off. As far as I know the engine is in good shape, and does not burn oil, or have any major problems that I know off. I'd like to read the trouble code, but am not sure how. Anyone have any idea how to read codes on a '99. Do I have to buy a scan tool??? Performance wise, the car feels great. I think it might be a sensor, or something similar, but need to be sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Check Engine Light!!??, totaleklipse97, Jun-03-04 06:28 PM, #1
RE: Check Engine Light!!??, SILVERNT, Jun-03-04 06:57 PM, #2
RE: Check Engine Light!!??, LoweredEclipse99, Jun-04-04 02:16 AM, #3
      RE: Check Engine Light!!??, rgirard413, Jun-04-04 02:58 AM, #4
           RE: Check Engine Light!!??, LoweredEclipse99, Jun-04-04 03:13 AM, #5
                RE: Check Engine Light!!??, BoostedGS, Jun-04-04 03:56 AM, #6
                     RE: Check Engine Light!!??, LoweredEclipse99, Jun-07-04 03:19 AM, #7

totaleklipse97Jun-03-04 06:28 PM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#75584, "RE: Check Engine Light!!??"
In response to Reply # 0

well first of all DON'T MAKE 5 POSTS FOR THE SAME TOPIC!!!! then get the code to stay on and make the guys at autozone read your code. Then come back and use the search function to find out what the code means. When was the last time you changed your air filter, spark plugs, plug wires. Those are the main culprits when people get CEL codes.

my car will sound like, bumbabumbubavrooooooooooooooomrooooooooahhhhhhhhhhhhh, kishhhhhh
www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=643
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SILVERNTJun-03-04 06:57 PM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
#75585, "RE: Check Engine Light!!??"
In response to Reply # 1

I like my CELS! they add character

all jokes aside, search for "keydance" all questions will be answered

LoweredEclipse99Jun-04-04 02:16 AM
22 posts,
#75589, "RE: Check Engine Light!!??"
In response to Reply # 1

sorry bout the multible topics. I was posting from my two way. Sometimes things go wrong...much like my ride. Thanks, I'll check it out.

rgirard413Jun-04-04 02:58 AM
Member since Jun 27th 2002
425 posts,
#75590, "RE: Check Engine Light!!??"
In response to Reply # 3

put key in ignition...turn to on position, turn off, turn to on position, turn off, turn to on position and keep there.(all within 5 seconds). Check engine light will start to flash. It will first flash the tens digit, then it will flash the ones digit, then it will hold for a few seconds, just put the number together(dont add) and then it will start to flash again. When if flashes 55, your done with the codes. Hopefully you can understand that

98 Eclipse GSX
www.ridonkulous.com

LoweredEclipse99Jun-04-04 03:13 AM
22 posts,
#75591, "RE: Check Engine Light!!??"
In response to Reply # 4

Hey what's up? Actually, I've tried that, and it doesn't seem to be working. How long do you have to wait after the sequence. My car is a '99, and I've been told that it doesn't do the keydance. Let me knwo cuz I'm really interested to know if I broke something. The car is lightly modded, but I do run nitrous, and an aftermarket chip. Each time the CEL comes on it's during hard driving, but no nitrous injection. Anyway, do you know if this works for a '99???

BoostedGSJun-04-04 03:56 AM
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1329 posts,
#75592, "RE: Check Engine Light!!??"
In response to Reply # 5

Speculation on what *could* be wrong is useless. Take it to Autozone and have them tell you for sure what the code is.

You are not your job.
You're not how much money you have in the bank.
You're not the car you drive.
You're not the contents of your wallet.
You're not your fu**ing post count.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

LoweredEclipse99Jun-07-04 03:19 AM
22 posts,
#75731, "RE: Check Engine Light!!??"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah, I'll be doing that the very next time it comes on. It's too bad the keydance trick doesn't work for '99 models. In the meantime, the CEL hasn't come back on. Hope for the best.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #75583Search result list | First match | Last match