Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #194
View in linear mode

Subject: "what the hell have i done" Previous topic | Next topic
KirbyApr-04-01 02:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#194, "what the hell have i done"

alright guy's i just went out to check my vacume lines to elimnate a sound i was hearing and found my air filter sitting in my air box and my intake was filterless. i don't know how long it has been that way either what should i worry about and watch out for because i know it's not good but the car runs fine though

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: what the hell have i done, 2GXTASY, Apr-04-01 03:02 AM, #1
RE: what the hell have i done, AvengerES97, Apr-04-01 05:06 AM, #2
WOW!, Skrilla, Apr-04-01 05:28 AM, #3
RE: WOW!, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-04-01 05:54 AM, #4
      RE: WOW!, SaberKhan, Apr-04-01 10:47 AM, #5
           RE: WOW!, 99GSBBTurbo, Apr-04-01 12:21 PM, #6
           RE: WOW!, TeamStan2gnt, Apr-05-01 01:03 AM, #7
                RE: WOW!, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-06-01 12:52 AM, #10
           RE: WOW!, HadesOmega, Apr-05-01 07:13 PM, #8
                RE: WOW!, XT_DSM, Apr-05-01 07:25 PM, #9
                     RE: WOW!, HadesOmega, Apr-06-01 08:54 AM, #11

2GXTASYApr-04-01 03:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#195, "RE: what the hell have i done"
In response to Reply # 0

Pop the filter back in and don't worry unless something happens. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen and never had any problems. I wouldn't worry about it cause if something was gonna go wrong it would have probably happend by now.

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AvengerES97Apr-04-01 05:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
167 posts,
#196, "RE: what the hell have i done"
In response to Reply # 1

yeah my friend bought an 85 golf a couple of months back and it didnt have a filter, am im sure it didnt have one for quite some time, and the engine runs fine. Its everything else that is a problem hahahaha.

Chris Jones
1997 Dodge Avenger ES
Daytona Beach/Orlando FL
Member of ASOG - SE
CJones82@msn.com
AOL IM - DAvengerES97

Chris Jones
1997 Dodge Avenger ES 5spd
"Racing Your Honda Is Like Running In The Special Olympics.....Even If You Win You're Still Retarded!!!

SkrillaApr-04-01 05:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#197, "WOW!"
In response to Reply # 0

like 2GXTASY said, if something hasn't happened yet you should be fine. Maybe some *slight* internal bang up but nothing major

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

TeamMichael_97RSApr-04-01 05:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#198, "RE: WOW!"
In response to Reply # 3

If nothing now you should be fine for a while. There are posibilities you sucked in small particles and scored the cylander walls. Aside form that if you have nothing break on you you should be fine.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

SaberKhanApr-04-01 10:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#199, "RE: WOW!"
In response to Reply # 4

Heh, about 3 1/2 years ago when I first got my intake, I had been driving around with it for about a week in San Antonio. Well, I was driving back to the jobsite when I heard a *thunk* and I felt like I ran over something. So, I look back in my mirror and see something on the road. Thought I hit a cat or something. So, I back up to it and look out my window to see a crushed air filter. "Hey, I have one just like that...", I said. Well, it took a second for it to sink it, I ran to the hood and sure enough, I'd run over my own filter. Well, since then, I always have 3 hose clamps on my filter.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

99GSBBTurboApr-04-01 12:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1191 posts,
#200, "RE: WOW!"
In response to Reply # 5

he he he, thats funn

Ball Bearing Star Stage II
"Power is nothing without control"

I use to have a White 99 GS Sport with a Star Stage II Ball Bearing T3/T4 turbo...it was fun untill....well those who remember me know Oh Ya...this is what I have now... a 99' GSX...

TeamStan2gntApr-05-01 01:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#201, "RE: WOW!"
In response to Reply # 6

Damn Michael that was real encouraging (you may have just scored a few cyl walls oh well dont worry about it). The last time I sucked in something from a broken filter I ended up with a tow truck and looking for another engine the same day so I don't think you have anything to worry about now. You likly burned away any small objects or have them emulsiated in your oil (change it to be sure). Anything big enough to screw your engine up probably would have. No need to worry about it cause what the hell can you do now. Like two days ago I put the wrong spark plug wire to the wrong cyl (nearly god damn impossible on our car), cranked the bad boy 3X before it came to me "maybe its not starting and cranking fucked up for a reason". If you dont know its physically impossible to make cyl 1-4 and 2-3 go in the same direction without silly putty for a crank which is what firing the engine was attempting to do. I put it right, started it and ran it around the block a few times. Then I said "fuck it" , not like I got any rememdy if it fucks up anyway.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS but T soon!
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

TeamMichael_97RSApr-06-01 12:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#202, "RE: WOW!"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah, I guess that did come out fairly bad. But it's possible, but most blocks over time get scored from one thing or another. As you know, this is why when rebuilding, we at the very least hone the cylander walls, if not bore.

And with you switching the wires... can do it again and take a picture I'd like to see it ;-P

But seriously, you didn't do any damage. The worst you may have done was have a little extra gas build up in the combustion chamber so she she fired up that first combustion was rich... not going to kill your engine. One of the ways to test a spark plug is to take it out ground it and turn the car over. You did no more damage than this test... which is nothing.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

HadesOmegaApr-05-01 07:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#203, "RE: WOW!"
In response to Reply # 5

ahaha that's really really funny.... cuz it happened to me too! When I was getting modding my intake to convert it to a cold air intake I err didn't glue or tie the cold extension to the stock pipe and err it fell off when I was chasing the pack at the Milpitas runs... First the filter fell off and it was scraping under the car. Whew... Then when I was driving on the freeway the same night the Cage (this was a HKS Filter) and element fell out. Haha apparently when it was being dragged under the car the bolt came loose. I was really depressed that night, my friend's automatic Impreza 2.5RS beat me that night and my car ran filter less that night and I had to put the stock air box in

this is the old one that fell off

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

XT_DSMApr-05-01 07:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#204, "RE: WOW!"
In response to Reply # 8

http://members.home.net/xtatdsm

HadesOmega where you live at? the reason I am asking because you mentioned you were going to sears point, and since I am like 10 mins away from sears point, I thought we might as well meet sometimes along with other 2GDSMers like Aln, Kory, Rob, wyatt and somemore none 2GNT DSM, still DSMers tho

Adel

HadesOmegaApr-06-01 08:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#205, "RE: WOW!"
In response to Reply # 9

Cool I live in San Jose California. Its like more than an hour away from sears point. I'd love to go to meets so long as they're not too far away. I went to basic training last year so I missed a whole buncha meets.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #194 Previous topic | Next topic