Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #17904
View in linear mode

Subject: "cold air intakes??" Previous topic | Next topic
95eclipsegsnaMar-20-02 04:03 AM
Member since Feb 21st 2002
167 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17904, "cold air intakes??"

ok i have seen about half the people on the site that have ICEMAN CAI and the other half have AEM CAI - in you opinion which is better cause i struck between the two they are both about the same price give or take about 20 bucks depending on the website but what do you think would perform better??

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: cold air intakes??, silverbullet, Mar-20-02 04:11 AM, #1
RE: cold air intakes??, fasterGS, Mar-20-02 04:11 AM, #2
RE: cold air intakes??, Moderatorxcasbonx, Mar-20-02 06:51 AM, #3
      RE: cold air intakes??, silverbullet, Mar-20-02 08:54 AM, #4
           RE: cold air intakes??, whodatt1, Mar-20-02 09:16 AM, #5
                RE: cold air intakes??, Twiste, Mar-24-02 03:35 PM, #17
RE: cold air intakes??, 973ECLIPSENJ, Mar-20-02 12:02 PM, #6
RE: cold air intakes??, rfpunch, Mar-20-02 01:05 PM, #7
      RE: cold air intakes??, damasta, Mar-20-02 01:57 PM, #8
           RE: cold air intakes??, Moderatorxcasbonx, Mar-20-02 02:34 PM, #9
                RE: cold air intakes??, Kaptain_Mike (Guest), Mar-21-02 03:05 AM, #10
                     RE: cold air intakes??, Teameclipse804, Mar-21-02 03:23 AM, #11
                     RE: cold air intakes??, nappyjim, Mar-23-02 02:29 PM, #12
                          RE: cold air intakes??, bedlam32570, Mar-23-02 02:51 PM, #13
                               RE: cold air intakes??, IntenseEclipse, Mar-23-02 04:46 PM, #14
                                    RE: cold air intakes??, matty, Mar-24-02 01:25 AM, #15
                                         RE: cold air intakes??, eclipticrider, Mar-24-02 02:41 PM, #16
                     RE: cold air intakes??, Twiste, Mar-24-02 03:37 PM, #18

silverbulletMar-20-02 04:11 AM
Member since Feb 06th 2002
261 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17905, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 0

personally i like my AEM better cause its metal unlike the iceman which is made out of plastic

traded in my 99 2g RS for a Titanium Pearl 03 3g GT
mods:AEM CAI[]energy suspension shifter bushing[]Short shifter[] MOMO f16 evo carbon/titanium shift knob[] DM Motor Mounts

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fasterGSMar-20-02 04:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17906, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 0

I have heard the iceman intakes are better because they are not metal, therefore do not conduct heat as much. But then again the AEM is coated with something that prevents heat conduction too...Even my short ram, I can drive for an hour and pop the hood and touch the intake, its warm but not too hot to touch. Just depends on what appeals to you. You could also buy a cheapy one, they work just fine and you can save yourself 150 bucks.

ModeratorxcasbonxMar-20-02 06:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#17907, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 2

i got an injen and i love it, great for the price, bout 50 bucks cheaper than aem.

96ESi Mods
apex'i dunk exhaust
*more mods when i get the cash*

I contributed to the Wiki.

silverbulletMar-20-02 08:54 AM
Member since Feb 06th 2002
261 posts,
#17908, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 3

the aem is powder coated but its cheaper than an injen cause you have to buy 2 piece from injen to get a cai. i got my aem cai for $185 shipped to my door

traded in my 99 2g RS for a Titanium Pearl 03 3g GT
mods:AEM CAI[]energy suspension shifter bushing[]Short shifter[] MOMO f16 evo carbon/titanium shift knob[] DM Motor Mounts

whodatt1Mar-20-02 09:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2531 posts,
#17909, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 4

put the $180 in your pocket and spend $50 on a filter and pipes and make your own!! Power gains will not vary that much for you to notice.
you are only paying for the fancy look and brand name.

-97 GS (First project, 299 whp)(sold)
- 97 RS 2.6 last numbers: 306hp, 352tq @16psi (Dead, parted out)
- 99 GS OZ, Hahn Kit, 56k miles (Sold)
--------
- 00 Nissan Maxima GLE (Daily Driver)
- 02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

TwisteMar-24-02 03:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2644 posts,
#17910, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 5

>put the $180 in your pocket and spend $50 on a filter and
>pipes and make your own!! Power gains will not vary that
>much for you to notice.
>you are only paying for the fancy look and brand name.

OK! DONT MAKE YOUR OWN! I would much rather pay the 180 and have something cool to show to my friends than open the hood and have them be like WTF! you ghetto boy building a PVC intake! hehe...sorry.

2003 Acura RSX Type-S
15.042 @ 93.06
Devon
Creator of one of the longest and most controversial posts in 2gnt history...
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=38&topic_id=112462&mesg_id=112462&page=

Originally posted by KaptainMyke
this is the greatest topic posting i have ever seen, in my entire life on the internet.

great story
great attempt at racism
dino goes batshit
i spilt my juice
i can't see my keyboard to type

this is great.

Originally posted by nappyjim
make sure you let her know what the dillyo is. just tell her you was the peanut butter and she was the jelly and that night, God decided to make a peanut butter n jelly sandwhich. But let her know God dont eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches everyday.

973ECLIPSENJMar-20-02 12:02 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2002
5 posts,
#17911, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a AEM CAI....but the iceman is a Good one too. It doesnt really matter if you get either or. I personally like the AEM because it has proven it self. The only thing that pissed me off was that my pipe near the battery melted and i had to get a new AEM.

rfpunchMar-20-02 01:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
518 posts,
#17912, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 6

people make the iceman sound like its made out of plastic bags..its more like PVC. the aem is coated to dissipate heat faster, but the iceman doesnt get as hot in the first place. both are good intakes, performancewise the same. also, injen makes a one piece cold air intake..i sold one a while back

98 Eclipse GS Turbo - SOLD
03 Eclipse GT
05 Suzuki GSXR 600

damastaMar-20-02 01:57 PM
Member since Dec 16th 2001
302 posts,
#17913, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 7

I know the plastic/PVC piping of the Iceman doesn't get so hot you can't touch it but it sure isn't keeping the air inside the pipe cooler than the AEM. The point of the AEM powdercoat process is to keep the air INSIDE cooler, not the outside of the pipe. Either one is good though (AEM or Iceman), HP gains are basically identical.

Coo'
alex_ries@hotmail.com

Coo'
alex_ries@hotmail.com

ModeratorxcasbonxMar-20-02 02:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#17914, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 8

i ran my car pretty hard tonite, and it gets really hot under that hood and i felt my cai and it was still cold, so i think its doing the job.

96ESi Mods
apex'i dunk exhaust
injen cai
*more mods when i get the cash*

I contributed to the Wiki.

Kaptain_Mike (Guest)Mar-21-02 03:05 AM

#17915, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 9

i like my aem....but its like ford vs chevy....totally based on opionion. Both provide equal amoounts of HP, imo

Teameclipse804Mar-21-02 03:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#17916, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 10

I like AEM, especially since it comes with a CARB sticker so its legal. Also, I think that the AEM looks a lot better than the plastic icemean (plastic just makes it look cheap to me).

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

nappyjimMar-23-02 02:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
8043 posts,
#17917, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 11

check the sig, AEM Baby. I love the deep sound at high rpms

18" Konig Tantrum Rims
Yokohama Parada Tires
AEM Cold Air Intake
Redone Black Carpet
Interior Painted White/Blue (Soon to be silver/black)
Various Neon Lights
Hyperwhite Lights
2 Rockford Fosgate XLC Subs
750 Watt All Digital Amp
Indiglo Pedals and Gauges

Soon To Have:
Bored Throttle Body
Coilovers or Springs
Steering Wheel
Seats

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
home.comcast.net/~nappyjim/songs.html
home.comcast.net/~7291834avi/carputer/carputer.html
www.cardomain.com/id/napppyjim

*Proud Member of the Top Ten Post Whore Club*
*Proud And Co-Founding Member Of The Zoom Zoom Revolution*
nappyjim-3 Chip-0
No one likes you chip, go away.

bedlam32570Mar-23-02 02:51 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
1240 posts,
#17918, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 12

AEM is good for the smooth flowing since it's metal.
Iceman is good cause it's plastic and doesn't keep heat like the metal ones.

it's all up to you whichever you wanna do.

IntenseEclipseMar-23-02 04:46 PM
Member since Feb 09th 2002
126 posts,
#17919, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 13

Does anyone know of or have any dyno charts for the CAI's for the 420A
?????

don't feel like typing a list!
white 98 gs

mattyMar-24-02 01:25 AM
Member since Nov 22nd 2001
28 posts,
#17920, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 14

Dyno Results
AEM cold air vs HKS filter vs stock
Chris Morales' HRC 16G
Wyatts Star Stage 2 (hosted by Wyatt)
You can go to this by clicking on mods and scroll down until you see Dyno Results maybe this will help

eclipticriderMar-24-02 02:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1061 posts,
#17921, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 15

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/eclipticrides/2gnt/special.gif?bcf0on8A7ytIUGsB

seriously i've used my home maid cai for almost a year now, no complaints here, i ran it off the stock intake arm (the part from the thottle body to the air box) then ram pvc down under. it is verry good, may not look the best but i'm not worried about look right now. and it saved me more than 100 big uns.

i've also painted it 3 times so you can change it how you want it.

and mine don't get hot at all, it's the only thing in there that don't

mods:
star stage III clutch
full exhause
cai
sparkplugs(needing new ones, any ideas?>
platnum plus window tint
all black interior
altezas

future mods(in no particular order):
engine rebuild
turbo.....
lower it
wheels
seats
exhaust
piant job
turbo wing
hood
body kit
neons all around
projectors
new altezas
new stereo equipment
and more that will be kept secret for now

TwisteMar-24-02 03:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2644 posts,
#17922, "RE: cold air intakes??"
In response to Reply # 10

>i like my aem....but its like ford vs chevy....totally based
>on opionion. Both provide equal amoounts of HP, imo
HAHAHA!!! Ford provides the same amount HP as Chevy? Bwahahahahaha

2003 Acura RSX Type-S
15.042 @ 93.06
Devon
Creator of one of the longest and most controversial posts in 2gnt history...
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=38&topic_id=112462&mesg_id=112462&page=

Originally posted by KaptainMyke
this is the greatest topic posting i have ever seen, in my entire life on the internet.

great story
great attempt at racism
dino goes batshit
i spilt my juice
i can't see my keyboard to type

this is great.

Originally posted by nappyjim
make sure you let her know what the dillyo is. just tell her you was the peanut butter and she was the jelly and that night, God decided to make a peanut butter n jelly sandwhich. But let her know God dont eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches everyday.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #17904 Previous topic | Next topic