Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138564
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ever seen this clutch fork failure mode before?" Previous topic | Next topic
ezMar-15-15 04:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138564, "Ever seen this clutch fork failure mode before?"

Symptom: Clutch pedal fell to the floor while I was driving.

Cause: The slave cylinder piston wore a hole right through the clutch fork lever, and pierced through it!

How ridiculous, right? Now I have to drop the whole tranny just to replace this. I was thinking of maybe having a welder come by and weld that little scoop, but I don't know how long that would last, or what the metal is. That would save me from dropping the trans though. Man and I just had the engine out last month!

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorCODE4Mar-15-15 06:45 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138565, "RE: Ever seen this clutch fork failure mode before?"
In response to Reply # 0

It is just steel - you could mig or TIG it and build up some material there. I used to grease mine with #2 axle grease but not with any regularity.

That is odd point of failure.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezMar-15-15 09:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#138566, "RE: Ever seen this clutch fork failure mode before?"
In response to Reply # 1

I never once greased it, but will be sure to now. While we are on the subject, what other points on the chassis do you guys add lubricant to? I need to go over the entire car, after going through this!

Will see if I can get a welder to come out and add some material there. That would save SO much time.

ezMar-17-15 09:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#138567, "RE: Ever seen this clutch fork failure mode before?"
In response to Reply # 2

Better pic - didn't realize just how thick the fork was at that spot, amazing it went through all that material

ModeratorCorbinMar-18-15 05:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#138568, "RE: Ever seen this clutch fork failure mode before?"
In response to Reply # 3

Really bizarre. I've always used moly axle grease there and I don't remember it being anything but shiny upon disassembly. Maybe you got some sand up in that joint and it ground itself to death. It's worth a shot to weld it up and smooth it some. It can't really get any worse.

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

VendorRed90SevMar-20-15 02:21 AM
Member since Aug 28th 2010
261 posts,
#138569, "RE: Ever seen this clutch fork failure mode before?"
In response to Reply # 4

Wow, I've never seen that one before... You def could have some material added so you don't have to drop the trans. Just make sure to remove the rubber cover so it doesn't melt. That's a lot of freakin wear. lol

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138564 Previous topic | Next topic