Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #135834
View in linear mode

Subject: "95 fuel rail on 99 gs" Previous topic | Next topic
armyguy1027Jan-19-12 08:25 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2012
14 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#135834, "95 fuel rail on 99 gs"

Hi i been using these forums for quite a while now and have searched about every combination i can think of for an anwser to this.
I bought a 99 GS with the 420A engine about two years ago and lately have been doing some upgrading and modding to it. After a little research I am starting to belive i have a 95 engine dropped in my 99 car. The fuel rail on my engine looks to be the 95 with the fpr on the rail and I also have a fpr back by the filter. The return is blocked off on the rail and i have been looking to see if it hooks up anywhere. After doing some searching i know now the car was originally on the returnless system. My qestion is can i just unpug the vacum on the fpr on the rail and use the one by the filter or is there an issue with running two at the same time?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-19-12 09:13 AM, #1
RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, 420agreenvilleSC, Jan-19-12 09:18 AM, #2
      RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, armyguy1027, Jan-19-12 09:23 AM, #3
           RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-19-12 09:28 AM, #4
                RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, armyguy1027, Jan-19-12 10:15 AM, #5
                     RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-19-12 10:40 AM, #6
                          RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-19-12 01:02 PM, #7
                               RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, AdministratorCODE4, Jan-19-12 03:01 PM, #8
                                    RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, 420agreenvilleSC, Jan-20-12 08:56 AM, #9
                                         RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, Dstach, Jan-20-12 10:22 AM, #10
                                              RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-20-12 11:56 AM, #11
                                              RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, 420agreenvilleSC, Jan-20-12 12:03 PM, #12
                                              RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, Dstach, Jan-20-12 12:11 PM, #13
                                                   RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-20-12 02:57 PM, #14
                                                        RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, dalesmitsu, Jan-20-12 06:11 PM, #15
                                                        RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-20-12 06:23 PM, #16
                                                             RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, dalesmitsu, Jan-20-12 07:33 PM, #17
                                                                  RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-20-12 08:20 PM, #19
                                                                       RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-21-12 03:40 AM, #20
                                                        RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs, Dstach, Jan-20-12 08:09 PM, #18

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-19-12 09:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#135835, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by armyguy1027
Hi i been using these forums for quite a while now and have searched about every combination i can think of for an anwser to this. I bought a 99 GS with the 420A engine about two years ago and lately have been doing some upgrading and modding to it. After a little research I am starting to belive i have a 95 engine dropped in my 99 car. The fuel rail on my engine looks to be the 95 with the fpr on the rail and I also have a fpr back by the filter. The return is blocked off on the rail and i have been looking to see if it hooks up anywhere. After doing some searching i know now the car was originally on the returnless system. My qestion is can i just unpug the vacum on the fpr on the rail and use the one by the filter or is there an issue with running two at the same time?

If the return on the rail is sealed, the regulator on the rail isn't doing anything. There is no reason to connect it to vacuum.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420agreenvilleSCJan-19-12 09:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#135836, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 1

yup, and if there's a FPR in the rear near the tank, then the rail FPR is not being used

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

armyguy1027Jan-19-12 09:23 AM
14 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#135837, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks fellas i appreciate it. I was pretty sure that was the case. both are hooked up up the moment but I am just going to cap off the one on the rail then. This thing has been something else while working on it.Im almost positive someone put a 95 engine in my 99.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-19-12 09:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#135838, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 3

.Im almost positive someone put a 95 engine in my 99.

The differences between the two are minor and largely superficial. if they would have swapped the rails, you probably wouldn't have ever known.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

armyguy1027Jan-19-12 10:15 AM
14 posts,
#135839, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah, I knew there wasnt really any major differences other then the fuel/evap stuff and some sensors and what not. It just threw me off when I saw the plugged return and coudn't find where it went. I recently registered on this website and so far have found alot of useful stuff while working on my car lately. I have been browsing the forums for along time now unregistered though. I love 2gnt for all the infomation I have found. I figure if im going to do a build on this car i might as well get the advice from others who have done it as well. Thanks again for the quick replies.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-19-12 10:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#135840, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks again for the quick replies.

No problem. Welcome to 2GNT

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-19-12 01:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#135841, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 6

Do yourself a favor and hop into the wiki section on here. Spend some time getting acclimated to it. You will find yourself using it more and more as you get more familiar with what's in it.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

AdministratorCODE4Jan-19-12 03:01 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#135842, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by bullettdsm
You will find yourself using it more and more as you get more familiar with what's in it.

Yep, like referencing the PITA scale anytime you consider having a discussion with Barza...

---

2012 2500HD LML

420agreenvilleSCJan-20-12 08:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#135848, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by CODE4
Yep, like referencing the PITA scale anytime you consider having a discussion with Barza...

lmfao

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

DstachJan-20-12 10:22 AM
Member since Dec 04th 2010
276 posts,
#135849, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 9

I have a 99 and someone did the same thing, a sure way to tell is the main bearings. A 95 has the tangs one the same side when lines up and 96-99 are on opposites. Check before a rebuild. It will save a lot of time and frustration. TRUST ME!

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)
89 Honda Crx (Drag car project)

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-20-12 11:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#135850, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Dstach
I have a 99 and someone did the same thing, a sure way to tell is the main bearings. A 95 has the tangs one the same side when lines up and 96-99 are on opposites. Check before a rebuild. It will save a lot of time and frustration. TRUST ME!

Sooo, you want him to pull his engine, tear it down to pull off the bedplate, then check to see the tangs, so he can verify if the engine (that is already installed and running fine) is a 95? Well, I guess that's one way to do it........

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq

420agreenvilleSCJan-20-12 12:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#135851, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Dstach I have a 99 and someone did the same thing, a sure way to tell is the main bearings. A 95 has the tangs one the same side when lines up and 96-99 are on opposites. Check before a rebuild. It will save a lot of time and frustration. TRUST ME!
Sooo, you want him to pull his engine, tear it down to pull off the bedplate, then check to see the tangs, so he can verify if the engine (that is already installed and running fine) is a 95? Well, I guess that's one way to do it........

cut the front clip off the car first - it helps get a 360 working space around the engine bay, then re-weld back on

DstachJan-20-12 12:11 PM
276 posts,
#135852, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 10

Check before a rebuild.

I'm guessing you skimmed and didn't read that part?

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-20-12 02:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#135853, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 13
Jan-20-12 02:58 PM by bullettdsm

Originally posted by Dstach Check before a rebuild.

No, I read that part. I just didn't see how that connected up to the problem the OP had. He needed to identify it with the engine already in and running. Seems like you wanted him to rebuild it so he could identify......

Of coursssssse, if we really want to get technicalllllll, we could say that he may NOT actually have a 95 engine in there. He may just have the rail out of a 95 and the engine could be from a 96-99. Or the engine could even have been pulled out of a 95 but not have been a 95 engine. It could have been pulled from another car (say a 98) and put into the donor 95 car. Then it could have been pulled from that car and put into his car

Oh the pastabilities......

Captain Caveman

dalesmitsuJan-20-12 06:11 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#135854, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 14

No, I read that part. I just didn't see how that connected up to the problem the OP had. He needed to identify it with the engine already in and running. Seems like you wanted him to rebuild it so he could identify...... Of coursssssse, if we really want to get technicalllllll, we could say that he may NOT actually have a 95 engine in there. He may just have the rail out of a 95 and the engine could be from a 96-99. Or the engine could even have been pulled out of a 95 but not have been a 95 engine. It could have been pulled from another car (say a 98) and put into the donor 95 car. Then it could have been pulled from that car and put into his car Oh the pastabilities......

How about counting the pin connector to the ECU. Compare it to car with 96 to 99 420a engine. Would this be another way of detereming what engine is the car. Could also help those roaming in the junkyard looking for a long block? If so, OP unplug your ecu an take a picture of the pin connector and post it up.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-20-12 06:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#135856, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
No, I read that part. I just didn't see how that connected up to the problem the OP had. He needed to identify it with the engine already in and running. Seems like you wanted him to rebuild it so he could identify...... Of coursssssse, if we really want to get technicalllllll, we could say that he may NOT actually have a 95 engine in there. He may just have the rail out of a 95 and the engine could be from a 96-99. Or the engine could even have been pulled out of a 95 but not have been a 95 engine. It could have been pulled from another car (say a 98) and put into the donor 95 car. Then it could have been pulled from that car and put into his car Oh the pastabilities......
How about counting the pin connector to the ECU. Compare it to car with 96 to 99 420a engine. Would this be another way of detereming what engine is the car. Could also help those roaming in the junkyard looking for a long block? If so, OP unplug your ecu an take a picture of the pin connector and post it up.

Why would he have anything other than a 99 ecu in it, Dale?

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

dalesmitsuJan-20-12 07:33 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#135857, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 16
Jan-20-12 07:35 PM by dalesmitsu

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Why would he have anything other than a 99 ecu in it, Dale?

Well, from what I have read 1995 2ga ecu's tend to go out.
1995 ecu is two piece (smaller)as with 1996-1999 ecu is one piece.
1995 fpr is on the fuel rail /fuel filter is also in the engine bay as with 1996-1999 fpr/fuel filter is near the tank rear passenger side.
pulsed secondary air injection
ecu are interchangeable but the 1995 had a recall for pulsed secondary air injection for removal and was removed in 1996 to 1999 models if it wasnt changed then you have a 2gb 1996 to 1999 rs/gs/esi ecu running a 1995 wiring harnass.
ecu that the 95 and 96 had the same interchange number and I am running a 96 ecu right now in my 95. I would think that the only difference is the programing for the pulsed secondary air injection/ the 95's were recalled for removal and was removed in 96 models. If you haven't changed it then you have a 96 ecu with a 95 wiring harness.

1995 should have two obd1 and obd2 ports like in picture in the link.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=5&topic_id=122020&mesg_id=122044&page=

I made some use of the search.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-20-12 08:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#135859, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 17

He has a 99. With a 99 wiring harness. And a 99 ecu.
<offtopic />

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-21-12 03:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#135860, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 19

.....and this is what happens when a good joke goes bad .......well at least I thought it was a good joke.

Captain Caveman

DstachJan-20-12 08:09 PM
276 posts,
#135858, "RE: 95 fuel rail on 99 gs"
In response to Reply # 14

Just telling him for if he does rebuild it to check the bedplate because those bearing are different. Of course it could be any possibility but if he ever does a rebuild he knows now to check before ordering bearings. There could be a GT3 motor in it if he really wanted to. Oh the pastabilities......

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #135834 Previous topic | Next topic